Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2016, 02:35 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,163,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avangeliz View Post
They will work with the dog and send me daily updates and send pictures, the 1st 2 weeks are about building trust. Getting her used to them= strangers

The last 2 weeks are about commands and getting her maybe not used to other dogs but tolerant in a manner that she wont lunge at them when we are on walks.

She is an older dog . I don't expect her to change like night and day but a little more tolerance i would be nice.

I have done alot of research and even tried a few other methods myself. I feel like my approach isnt working and I need professional help
I think it is better if you can do it in your own home. That said, if is a matter of "if it can't be fixed he'll have to go away permanently" and this is the only option you think is feasible, then do it.

If you want to try, the best way to work with a dog that engages in fear aggression lunging: Desensitizing and Counter-Conditioning: Overcoming Your Dog's Issues

Old 11-29-2016, 05:36 PM

2,333 posts, read 2,000,178 times
Quote:
. . .
I have done alot of research and even tried a few other methods myself. I feel like my approach isnt working and I need professional help
Good on ya! However, you've noticed all the advice here has been "do not send the dog out, find some way to get somebody to train BOTH you and the dog." There are good reasons for that.

Let's say you send the dog out, and they train the dog to behave better. This certainly can be done. Guess what is likely to happen the minute that dog comes back home? The dog will return to the undesired behavior! Take it back to those trainers? It will behave nicely. Back to you? Ooops - problem behavior comes back up!

You need to find a way to fit a program where they are training YOU to train your dog to behave better. The dog needs you to consistently and properly command the desired behavior.

So find a trainer who works with problem behavior - but includes you in the retraining. And DO avoid the dominance theory BS, please!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2016, 05:45 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,870,368 times
I do want to reinforce that dogs misbehaving (in your case lunging at other dogs) because of fear, need very different handling than boisterous, out of control/ aggressive dogs.
I would be really careful about sending her away for that- you did mention that the board and train you are looking at does offer a course that specializes in fearful/ reactive dogs (mine is fairly reactive, but its not due to fear) - I would want to hear more about their training methods-

daily pictures and a write up won't tell you much at all (do they have a live cam so you can watch the training?)....

The training group we went to (not the board and train but the regular classes for puppy socialization, etc) also had special classes for fearful dogs just to work on what you are asking for- tolerating other dogs in proximity, leash management with out lunging etc... that might be an avenue you could explore too..

Old 12-05-2016, 11:21 AM

70 posts, read 61,438 times
Update

Thank you for all the advice I have decided to train with my dog instead of doing the boarding and training program

I took my dog to the vet last Friday to make sure she doesn't have a hormone imbalance. I forewarned the vet that my dog is people and dog aggressive and they told me they had proper measures to handle our visit. Instead of doing the exam, they prescribed her trazadone and told us to come back in 2 weeks but still charged me the exam fee. She was not examined, no blood was taken and I'm pissed. I know my dog is stranger aggressive but I thought they were going to sedate her and proceed with the exam. This did not happen and I'm very angry.

If there is a hormone imbalance to her thyroid I wont know and its frustrating .

Old 12-06-2016, 06:16 AM

965 posts, read 939,222 times
Quote:
Update

Thank you for all the advice I have decided to train with my dog instead of doing the boarding and training program

I took my dog to the vet last Friday to make sure she doesn't have a hormone imbalance. I forewarned the vet that my dog is people and dog aggressive and they told me they had proper measures to handle our visit. Instead of doing the exam, they prescribed her trazadone and told us to come back in 2 weeks but still charged me the exam fee. She was not examined, no blood was taken and I'm pissed. I know my dog is stranger aggressive but I thought they were going to sedate her and proceed with the exam. This did not happen and I'm very angry.

If there is a hormone imbalance to her thyroid I wont know and its frustrating .
Why did they prescribe trazadone? Has it made a difference in her behavior? How are you feeling about it now? All though it is a giant drag that you don't know about her thyroid yet, you will know soon after they do test.

If the trazadone was to make her calmer when you go back in IMO that may not be enough for a blood draw... Maybe it will, and they may have had good experiences with that medication. You will need to discuss it with them. Write down your questions, and hand them the list when you are there next time.

Or, call them to ask (if you don't already know). There is also a book called Speaking for spot, it may help you to speak up when at the vet. I know we want to believe they will do it the best way, but sometimes they see something differently. We have to learn to talk to them about it then, instead of walking out upset.

If she is the same when you are to go back in 2 weeks, be clear that you want her put under to take her blood. You might want to call to reschedule now, so that they have more time to do what you feel needs to be taken care of.
Also, if she needs a dental, and her nails done, do it all at once. They can take her blood while she is under. That way though, you would have to drop her off.

I am not a proponent of unnecessary anesthesia, but after having a very reactive dog I weighed the benefits. He could handle going to the vet, and being jabbed with a needle, but he could not handle having a blood draw, the stress it caused him (much less the humans involved) was not worth it.

So, every 2-3 years I took him in to be put under for testing, and had everything done at one time. The stress of the anesthesia was far less in our case than a struggle with strangers.

Good decision on training her yourself, btw. You (both of you) may never make magical strides, but appreciate what you are able to overcome. In other words don't expect too much of yourself or your dog, but keep trying. Baby steps for the "special" ones.

Also, I think what you do for your dog now is great. Many wouldn't put that effort forth, and she would be euthanized, or dropped off at a shelter (to be pts), or left in the back yard for the rest of her life. I know it isn't easy, but i am very impressed with how well you are managing her now. I say that because you obviously care, and you keep trying, AND because she hasn't actually bitten anyone.

Good luck. Please keep us posted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs