Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2016, 07:29 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,374,578 times

Advertisements

My dogs and I are staying with my increasingly frail 85-year-old father while I'm in my hometown for a month. My rambunctious boys are basically rampaging all over the house and acting like lunatics, but when my dad is around they calm down. They never jump on him or climb on him when he sits, and they are careful to avoid tripping him. The Catahoula lays next to him at his feet while he's watching TV, and the kelpie lays on the other couch and watches him.

I'm kind of impressed with the dogs I refer to as "my horribles." Anybody ever experience the same?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2016, 08:05 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,886,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
My dogs and I are staying with my increasingly frail 85-year-old father while I'm in my hometown for a month. My rambunctious boys are basically rampaging all over the house and acting like lunatics, but when my dad is around they calm down. They never jump on him or climb on him when he sits, and they are careful to avoid tripping him. The Catahoula lays next to him at his feet while he's watching TV, and the kelpie lays on the other couch and watches him.

I'm kind of impressed with the dogs I refer to as "my horribles." Anybody ever experience the same?
Awwww.

My dogs are surprisingly calm around babies. Especially my big pit bull mix who tries to jump on everyone he is meeting but is so sweet and calm with little kids and babies. Not that I would every leave a big dog alone with a small child or baby, but its pretty sweet.

Old 12-08-2016, 10:16 AM

483 posts, read 418,462 times
Roman when we first got him as a pup.. walks horrible.
He was already 40+ lb as a 12 week old puppy.

The story is I tried using the prong (nono, never use prongs on dogs. They hurt, I got snag) but he bucked like a bronco instead. I sympathize with his hurt.. so tried removing it and got pinched. That is when he stopped bucking. After removing the prong.. I let him have the choice.. regular collar or prong.. he actually *nosed the regular collar.
And walked nice ever since.

I got into a very bad car accident early this year.
And hubs took me to our yearly plan around Roman vaca.
Even with me holding him.. or having to take him down the steps. He was so gentle.. sat atop the steps (our vaca apt is on 2nd floor) to wait for me to give the ok to head down (I got bad knees too).

How gentle he is to my needs..
Here is an example video of him waiting patiently for me.
https://youtu.be/C9YVjO92gz4

I love my boy!!!
❤❤❤
Attached Thumbnails
They just know-photogrid_1470793405049.jpg  

Old 12-08-2016, 10:25 AM

4,504 posts, read 3,031,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romaneats View Post
How gentle he is to my needs..
Here is an example video of him waiting patiently for me.
https://youtu.be/C9YVjO92gz4

I love my boy!!!
❤❤❤
I love him, too. Give him a huge hug from me.

Old 12-08-2016, 12:38 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,277,908 times
When I found out my mom was diagnosed with cancer, I tried to hold in my sadness. I would continue the usual daily routine, even at home. However, Pebbles knew. She was adopted about a month prior. Hyper and always nagging me to play, she sat on the kitchen floor when I finally broke down and hugged her while I cried. She didn't move, didn't jump up immediately to play like she always do when I hug her.

The week before I put my cat down, the remaining pets left him alone. There were no poking at him, bothering him or trying to play with him. They simply let him walk pass them as if he wasn't there (He kind of wasn't, as his liver has failed by that time but we didn't know that yet).

Mushu, on the other hand, leans toward others who are emotionally "closed". She is normally afraid of all strangers. However, when she meets a mentally handicapped person or child, she would approach them, allow them to pet her and she would give them kisses. She is very good with people who have emotionally problems as well. Normal scares her. It's an odd talent of hers.

Old 12-08-2016, 03:30 PM

483 posts, read 418,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
I love him, too. Give him a huge hug from me.
Huggs back at you!!!
❤❤❤

Old 12-08-2016, 09:23 PM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,120,525 times
I feel most pets are intuitive to many things...to the OP, your Dad.

I have five grandchildren and my four/five dogs have all been very good with them. My Frenchie actually helped the youngest boy learn to walk by letting Dean rest his hand (for balance) on his back as he walked closely next to him.

I have MS and have many bad days...my balance can be off and they immediately move out of my pathway. I never worry about tripping over them. On the days I can't interact with them much, they understand.

Old 12-09-2016, 11:02 AM

1,843 posts, read 3,058,562 times
Yeah, that was Sam. He was a border collie sheltie mix. He was very active, barked a lot, played a lot. Yet when I was sick, he would just lay on the couch with me nice and quiet. When I was laying on the floor in pain for half an hour after hurting myself, he lay next to me and refused to move until my husband took me to the hospital (I barely remember him being there, but my husband assured me he never left my side). I miss him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs