Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2019, 12:10 PM

575 posts, read 339,144 times

Advertisements

I'm travelling to Europe and my Siberian Husky female must thus go get locked up to a Pet Boarding facility.

It's the first time she will be locked up and I've been very anxious how damaged she will be once I come back and have absolutely no idea what to do about it, or if I even can.

She's 2 years old, has very sweet temperament, zero alpha ***** behavior, she is more on the scared side, though she is melodramatically mouthy and opinionated (as Huskies go).

Since I work from home, we're together 24/7, 365 days in a year, so she gets separation anxiety when I do grocery shopping or errands (though, if she is in a car, she is OK, which is only possible in winter obviously, when it's below 40F).

Since she is an Escape Artist (had a very recent scare with her), I can't trust her with a pet sitter or house sitter, as there's no way they'd be as vigilant as I am. Besides, no pet sitter in my area lives alone, and the moment house doors start getting opened left/right, she's out in a half of a split second. She's a prototype for selective recall response after she escapes.
Of course, closed doors with the heavy auto-close mechanism , where she has to pull the door towards her pose zero challenge for her, so she'd have to be tied on a leash inside, if I were to consider the house sitter. But since humans are merely humans (and forget/don't care), can't afford such risk with her.

Even in other pet facilities, I had to rule out the ones that mingle dogs together and don't even have anti-roll bars on the fence - I'm sure you know it takes less than 15 seconds for a Husky to climb a classic fence.

I found one, where the owner works alone and takes care only of up to 6 dogs at a time, and has second largest cages in my area (easily 2x-3x as large as the other places), so she won't be super cramped, like in other facilities, but still locked up in a cage nonetheless.

I've cooked chicken for her for next 2 weeks, into Ziploc bags, so at least she will have her classic food.

Given her sensitiveness, how to best handle her once I'm back ? What can I expect ? How to make it up to her, if that's even possible ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2019, 12:57 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
She will be fine.

When you get home, do not be all excited about it. Life as usual. No sympathy for the dog. Matter of fact.

She will enjoy some nice long leash walks when you get home.

For an escape artist, this is the safest way for you to leave her. If she gets away from you at your house, you have a decent chance of getting her back. if she gets away from a stranger in a strange place, chances of getting her back are a lot smaller.

Do what you have to do to keep her safe. Dogs have been surviving kennel stays for centuries.

Old 03-02-2019, 01:01 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
I'm going to add this: if the kennel owner is that conscientious about safety, the kennel owner will know how to treat a homesick dog to cheer the dog up and to keep it eating.

Don't do an emotional teary farewell. That won't help your dog. Business as usual. You are fine with it. You are the pack leader. Your dog is expected to be fine with it. Calm. Matter of fact.

Old 03-02-2019, 02:41 PM

23,292 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenderFrost View Post
I found one, where the owner works alone and takes care only of up to 6 dogs at a time, and has second largest cages in my area (easily 2x-3x as large as the other places), so she won't be super cramped, like in other facilities, but still locked up in a cage nonetheless.
Ask the kennel if you can bring your dog over for introductions to the place, the kennel keeper, the property, any dogs they own. Maybe short visits while on other car errands. Make it a fun excursion with treats. Cultivate the relationship ahead of time. If it's familiar and the visit was all positive she may not get very anxious about being there. Bring her bed or blanket for the boarding.

There will be lots of distractions, activity, and fascinating smells to investigate. A very different situation than YOU not taking her with you and being left alone at YOUR house. Don't forget that a good kennel owner will understand your concerns and your dog's behavior, especially if you explain it all up front. The size of the kennel isn't the dealbreaker. Dogs often feel more secure in a smaller new space with something that smells familiar. You are getting as anxious as your dog (and she doesn't even know what's coming yet). It's not jail lock up, its temporary safe care. Your dog is going to pick up on all this. Don't set her up to fail. As Oregon wrote, your dog looks to you for cues.

My current dog and I spend all our time together except an occasional errand, though I have worked with her to avoid separation anxiety before. No fuss upon leaving and returning, starting off with very short departures and arrivals, etc. IMHO always a good thing to teach any dog. She is the epitome of a velcro dog...attached at the hip. Furry tumor. The first time I had to board her I was a bit worried that she would be anxious. The small kennel owner had us come by beforehand for an introduction. All went fine. There was so much to see, hear, and sniff. When the drop-off day came I was surprised (and a little stung TBH) at how little she noticed my departure, but I also know not to make a fuss. When I picked her up she strolled up to me casually as if to say "Oh, I guess you're back?" A big yawn.

Last edited by Parnassia; 03-02-2019 at 03:11 PM..

Old 03-02-2019, 03:02 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,815,515 times
The dog will be fine. She will return right back to normal in no time.

As for the other things, you should put double doors, an entry way gate, some sort of barrier for the dog to prevent from escaping. Also an option is to just keep her in the master bedroom, and let the pet sitter take care of her, she would have to escape out the bedroom door then the front to get out.

Old 03-02-2019, 05:19 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,587,684 times
Years ago when I boarded Jazz and Dash at a new kennel the people that owned the place were afraid Jazz would be a dog that would not eat while boarding as she put on quite the show for them. When she realized she and Dash were staying she ran to me and jumped up wrapping her front legs around my leg just like a toddler does to its parents. I laughed and had them pull her off so then she threw a fit and refused to walk with them so I just left.

When I returned 2 weeks later they told me about being afraid she would be a dog that would not eat but said when they got her and Dash back to the kennel they decided to give her some food and she was eating it as they poured it into the dish. He said once I was gone she became a different dog and he really enjoyed the two weeks with her.

Anytime I boarded them she put on her show until I walked out then she happily went with the people. I doubt if a dog can think " Oh I will make you feel so guilty about leaving me but that sure seemed to be what she as trying to do, Little did she know I was on to her game and laughed as I drove away.

Never had any issues with her or any of my other dogs after they have been boarded, I come home pick them up and it is back to routine as usual.

As others have said DO NOT make a big fuss about leaving or returning as all that will do is make the dog anxious. If you feel anxious relax so the dog does not pick up on it as you leave it give it a command like be a good dog but none of the kissy face, I will miss you so much stuff as that just sets the dog up for anxiety. Just keep it simple and relaxed. When you pick the dog up it will be excited so try to stay calm and relaxed yourself. Jazz was a very intelligent dog and an escape artist too so she was safest at a kennel and over her life was boarded many times without incident.

Old 03-02-2019, 05:28 PM

575 posts, read 339,144 times
I just dropped her off at the kennel. I've been to the place with her last 3 days (paperwork, vaccinations, etc.), although she's only been waiting for me in the car, but she could clearly smell other dogs, as she was squealing the same way when she wants to play. So, she was actually excited going in ! Absolutely not what I expected.

I dropped there her favorite pillow, her bed, and my (well, ours) blanket - so she has my scent nearby.

I wasn't let in, as owner explained that would rile other dogs, but I did watch her go with the owner absolutely calmly into her cage, and she didn't make a scene. Actually, she didn't make a sound, which was very surprising, as usually, even when I just go pick something from the car for a minute, she makes a huge scene and complains about it next 10 minutes that I let her home alone for a minute.

But, not a peep. So, perhaps, I'm the only one freaking out...

BTW, as a reminder of escape artists, in my neighbor's apartment, today they had a family visit and while people were going in/out, their dog used the opportunity and escaped, so while I was loading all the stuff to the car, I was reminded what it'd be like if I just let strangers home or dropped her at a stranger's home. That dog started chasing 18-wheeler, then stopped the local traffic, and eventually was fine, but still it made me happy that I did choose the pet boarding facility over the pet sitters (there's plenty, literally next door).

If you have other ideas, what's safer - for an escape artist, I'm all ears. My friend kept discouraging me last 2 weeks, that she will be "broken", "never the same", "forever fuc*ed up" after those 2 weeks in a cage (but she only recommended using pet sitters, where you have zero guarantee on the foot traffic in their home), but at least I'm leaving knowing that she was actually OK going in and there was no anxiety (well, not from her, that is)...

On the other hand, even if the dogs don't play there, they are literally next to each other, so there is some sort of socialization, as they can sniff each other and talk to each other, which she always does happily at doggie parks, so I suspect that that socialization aspect should be a positive thing during her stay there.

Old 03-02-2019, 10:27 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
She will be fine.

When you get home, do not be all excited about it. Life as usual. No sympathy for the dog. Matter of fact.

She will enjoy some nice long leash walks when you get home.

For an escape artist, this is the safest way for you to leave her. If she gets away from you at your house, you have a decent chance of getting her back. if she gets away from a stranger in a strange place, chances of getting her back are a lot smaller.

Do what you have to do to keep her safe. Dogs have been surviving kennel stays for centuries.
This is perfect advice. Dogs don't have any concept of time. You could be gone an hour or two weeks -- all they know is they missed you while you were gone.

So, I agree. Don't make it a big deal. Just say hello as if you just left her for an afternoon.

Your dog will probably be smart enough to recognize the signs of you leaving and taking her to a boarding facility next time, though, like seeing you take out suitcases, so when it happens again, your dog will probably stress out as soon as she sees you take out suitcases. But, she'll survive.

Old 03-03-2019, 01:58 AM

23,292 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Your dog will probably be smart enough to recognize the signs of you leaving and taking her to a boarding facility next time, though, like seeing you take out suitcases, so when it happens again, your dog will probably stress out as soon as she sees you take out suitcases. But, she'll survive.
If the whole boarding experience was set up to be a positive or at worst a neutral one so what if they make that connection? I went through a period when I had to travel frequently so my dog picked up on the suitcase thing pretty quickly. However, she stayed at the same place each time and had a good time while there. It wasn't a problem. She didn't stress out at all. In fact, once she knew where we were headed she got excited to greet the new friends there and didn't even notice me leave.

Old 03-03-2019, 01:48 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,743,972 times
I've stopped boarding my dog. She can access the back yard if she needs to so she just needs someone to check her daily and visit with her a little. If you love your dog, please don't lock him/her in a cage for two weeks. I can' t believe you're serious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs