Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 11:14 AM

692 posts, read 3,855,238 times

Advertisements

I have been in search of a hair cut for Ted for weeks and I finally found one I liked. So this morning I took him in to be fully groomed. I wanted him cut down pretty short, but not to the skin and his head left longer. Teddie still hasn't over come the whole grooming thing from all of the matts/burs when he was found. He's much better, but only wants to deal with so much. I've not been able to really cut his hair on my own; a trim here and there. I had been letting it grow out any way. So he told me he'd call me if he couldn't groom him; Ted puts up a real fight. Teeth and all! I hadn't heard from him (I live 15 min from the groomer) so I did some running around and then went home. About 10-20 minutes after I was home he called and said he was ready; it had been about an hour and a half since I'd dropped him off.
He told me he wasn't able to groom him, but had to cut his face shorter. If he'd left it longer, with Teds attitude, he would never be able to get it just right. I like everything and length except his face..it's just ok. it'll take some getting used to.
Any way here are the pictures.. He doesn't have that masculine face any more.. *pout*

I got to bed around 3-4 this morning and had to wake up at 7:30 to take him in..so now that I'm home I've got my boy and a nice Starbucks! I've got to keep going some how lol. As you can see Teddie's ready for a nap too.

Sorry for the mess in the background..It's the left overs from the raffle we had for our rescue. It's his favorite place to lay now; next to me and on the computer desk. In a pile of clothes and junk..perfect.

The one good part is his coat is nice, fluffy and shiny. When I got him, his coat was shaved really short, it was dull and flaky. Since I've been using the Blue Powder Ear Treatment I've noticed a difference, but now that his ears have been plucked..they look GREAT! No smell at all, pink and squeaky clean. I'm happy to have this groomer though. He's a great guy and does a wonderful job. He's also the only person I've found that can handle it if Ted snaps. He understands his background and just takes it step by step. He got bathed, hair cut, nails cut, sanitary clip, and his ears pulled for just $38. I was in shock!
So yep..now it's time to just relax the rest of this Sunday.
Dakota
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2008, 12:14 PM

253 posts, read 1,053,541 times
Teddy's got a rough life, you can tell. He's adorable..

Old 03-02-2008, 12:17 PM

2,154 posts, read 4,424,138 times
What a little cutie pie!! Next time have a the groomer back brush the tops of the feet and use the curved scissors on them though to make them cleaner. The hairs on the feet look really long and will grown out fast! (I am a groomer myself)

38.00 seems about right. My fee for a shih tzu (in good condition, no mats) is 32-35.00

Old 03-02-2008, 12:23 PM

692 posts, read 3,855,238 times
Really? I thought his feet were pretty neat and clean.

I've heard so many people that pay $100 to groom a Shih so I'm surprised that 30-40.00 is normal. I don't feel so lucky .

Old 03-02-2008, 05:39 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
Thats how my friend clipped hers once they made CH that is!! Cute brought back memmories...thanks for the pic!!

Old 03-02-2008, 06:46 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,339,180 times
aww, you shih reminds me so much of my old shih (RIP), even though she was a completely different color. Teddy is looking very dapper in those pictures! I remember it used to cost me just around $45-50 to get my shih into a puppy cut every 3-4 months (it cost $125 the first time, but that was immediately after we adopted her and she was nothing but a stinky, matted furball)

I love shih tzus, but I could never deal w/ a shih in a full, long coat, esp my old girl who hid under the bed whenever a brush came out!

Old 03-02-2008, 07:38 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,262,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOhioBound View Post
What a little cutie pie!! Next time have a the groomer back brush the tops of the feet and use the curved scissors on them though to make them cleaner. The hairs on the feet look really long and will grown out fast! (I am a groomer myself)

38.00 seems about right. My fee for a shih tzu (in good condition, no mats) is 32-35.00
I was noticing the length of the feet as well I'm not a groomer, however at the pet hotel where I work I sometimes check out the grooming dogs when the groomer's are busy and the price is in the same ballpark

He does look adorable!

Old 03-03-2008, 03:18 PM

376 posts, read 1,808,891 times
Great pictures! My Sammy loves a shorter cut like this in the Summer -- can't say I'm too unhappy either, sure cuts down on the brushing

Old 03-04-2008, 08:00 PM

673 posts, read 3,145,051 times
Totally adorable! We just got our Cocker all pretty for spring...he looks 5 years younger with his haircut!

Old 03-06-2008, 01:16 PM

1,510 posts, read 5,066,110 times
*sigh* maybe his paws werent left long on purpose people. Maybe the groomer had a difficult time getting in and around his paws, and rather than hurt him or cut him, he did what was best and left them a little longer.

I think he looks great considering his past. Youre doing a great job with him

Quote:
I've heard so many people that pay $100 to groom a Shih
Btw, when I was a groomer, I had customers pay that much on several occasions, but they were very special occasions. A severly matted, or aggressive dog for example. Groomers dont charge you $40, 50 or whatever the price may be for the hell of it. Theres a lot of time and care that goes into a groom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs