Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2017, 05:53 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times

Advertisements

I understand your feelings but I ask you to reconsider. Our hearts GROW with love for each new pet and this does not mean we have forgotten a cherished pet who has died. Give yourself some time to mourn. I think too many people try to replace a pet too soon after the loss but it is a very personal decision and all circumstances are different.

I will admit to both ends of the spectrum. Waiting 2 years to get a new dog after my beloved Paul the Bichon ( age 15) died. I couldn't even look at dogs (especially Bichons) without tearing up. On the other end of the spectrum, I knew while in the vet office to have Lucy the Bichon (age 16)unexpectedly euthanized that I would get a new dog right away. We had a 6 year old Maltese at home who needed a companion and playmate.

I started getting on the internet the very next day. I had tears while I searched for 2 weeks for just the right pup for my family. Along came Teddy, a 10-month-old Maltipoo only 30 minutes from my house.I really was looking for an older dog and did not want a puppy but this rascal turned out to be right for us. And we are the right family for him. (But he does bug the stew out of Toby the Maltese!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2017, 07:35 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,318,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
The rescue I have been fostering with for years covers all medical expenses, food, monthly heartguard and flea meds for "permanent residents". My second foster dog with them was a resident old poodle/bichon that would have been put down by animal services due to her old age and massive tumor that was oozing. She went into emergency surgery within hours of arriving to the rescue and straight to my home for "a few days" to recuperate. LOL, I was pretty new to rescue. She happily toodled around my house for the next year and a half of her life. At the time, I think we had maybe 10 permanent residents and we're up to 18 now.

I suspect quite a few rescues are willing to cover medical costs for an old dog in their care if someone's willing to offer it a home. A couple of the foster moms under me have taken in these old dogs and although it's a relief the dog is in a good home, I'm disappointed that a great foster mom is unable to take in other dogs. Anyone who is open to welcoming an old dog into their home may want to ask around a few local rescues, offering to be a foster specifically for old dogs. You would be gratefully appreciated.

Our local Humane Society has a program where if you adopt a senior pet, they will pay all the vet bills. I'm assuming you must bring them to their on-site vets but I'm not sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs