Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How is your pet groomed?
I take it to a professional groomer. 6 31.58%
I home groom my pet. 12 63.16%
Other (please comment) 1 5.26%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 12:44 PM

910 posts, read 2,331,439 times

Advertisements

I took our first dog to grooming at first, but I don't like leaving her for 2-4 hours until I have to pick it up, plus it got expensive. So I started grooming her on our own for many years I did this until she got older and didn't like to be groomed at all. Just wondering if you home groom or take your pet to a professional groomer, or do a little of both (e.g., touch up between professional grooms, etc.). If you home groom or do something else, just curious for your reasons in your comments. Thanks in advance for participating in this poll.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2017, 12:53 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Cheech doesn't require much in the way of grooming.
His smooth coat is able to be kept clean with little more than a wipe down with a damp towel.
Really, even when completely filthy after rolling in the dirt with pals at the dogpark
although a rinse down with the garden hose sometimes is called for too.

In fact since September I've only felt a need to bathe him once.
(See my profile for a picture taken the day this was the case)

However he does need to have his toes clipped and for that we have the TPA (Three Person Approach).
One of us embraces the dog, the second one feeds a small treat, the third does the clipping.
Works just as well on top of a picnic tables as on the tailgate of a truck.

Old 04-17-2017, 01:24 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,743,972 times
Since I've gotten older, I take her in for a bath and nail clip.

Old 04-17-2017, 01:27 PM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,331,793 times
You could always find the best of both worlds with someone like my wife. She is a professional certified groomer, and works out of a shop, but she also does a small amount of dogs out of our house. The benefit to the latter is that the dog is dropped off, groomed, and then picked up. No crate required. In fact, we enjoy interacting with the dogs and will usually take them for a walk before they get picked up if time allows. The people that go to my wife for grooming out of our house prefer the fact that the dogs are not kept at a salon for any length of time. It's not for everyone, but those that prefer it really prefer it.

The problem is, it's hard to find someone that works word of mouth only. I'd say she does around 15 dogs out of the house, and at the average 6 weeks between grooms, she's doing around 2.5 dogs a week that way. She has never advertised and has only taken on new dogs that knew of her via a friend or client. If you think something like that would work for you, ask your friends that have dogs and see if they know anyone that works out of the house. You can also slyly ask your professional groomer if they know of anyone that works from home.

Old 04-17-2017, 02:16 PM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,120,097 times
My dogs are what I call "rub and buff." They have short slick coats and as MrRational posted, mine get a daily wipe down with a warm microfiber towel and that's pretty much it. I do clean their ears as needed and all are cooperative with the Dremel for their nails.

Old 04-17-2017, 02:38 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZSP View Post
...a daily wipe down with a warm microfiber towel
oooh fancy. We use terry cloth painting rags (iirc $2 for a pack of 12)
But they do the job along with some brushing.

Old 04-17-2017, 02:56 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,399,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngrome View Post
I took our first dog to grooming at first, but I don't like leaving her for 2-4 hours until I have to pick it up, plus it got expensive. So I started grooming her on our own for many years I did this until she got older and didn't like to be groomed at all. Just wondering if you home groom or take your pet to a professional groomer, or do a little of both (e.g., touch up between professional grooms, etc.). If you home groom or do something else, just curious for your reasons in your comments. Thanks in advance for participating in this poll.
The terriers I have had and will continue to have are all home groomed. In fact, most "professional" groomers either don't know how to groom them or cannot fit in the lengthy time requirement to do it properly.

In this case, there is no clippering, it's all hand stripping and combing out. Dremel the claws.

Old 04-17-2017, 03:48 PM

910 posts, read 2,331,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
The terriers I have had and will continue to have are all home groomed. In fact, most "professional" groomers either don't know how to groom them or cannot fit in the lengthy time requirement to do it properly.

In this case, there is no clippering, it's all hand stripping and combing out. Dremel the claws.
When you say no clippering and all hand stripping, so you don't use electric clippers and just use scissors? I have a shih tzu and I know they don't like the sound of clippers, are your terriers the same?

Old 04-17-2017, 06:33 PM

2,709 posts, read 6,315,087 times
My Siberian husky goes to the professional groomer every 4 to 6 months for a wash and blow-out.

I DO brush him fair bit at home, and he gets periodic rub-downs with a rag that's been soaked in vinegar and water (and then wrung out). And I take him to the vet to have the tech trim his claws.

The groomers and vet techs all say he's a good boy and cooperative, but his tolerance when I groom him at home seems very limited. Easier for me to let the pros do it.

Old 04-17-2017, 06:44 PM

63 posts, read 42,037 times
Every dog I have had has been home groomed. It's just easier to do it in my own time and for free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs