Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 07:59 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,530,502 times

Advertisements

Sable is our feisty, 10 y.o. female chihuahua/Schipperke mix, who we rescued from San Diego, CA Dept. of Animal Control in November 2008. She was a stray, picked up on the street, about to be euthanized because there are too many unwanted dogs.

She is a sweet, stubborn, funny little girl who loves long walks & playing tug-of-war with our present & past Dobermans.

Two years ago, during a routine visit, the vet told me that Sable had a mild heart murmur that required no treatment. A year ago, when she had a cyst removed from her leg, vet told me the heart murmur had worsened, Sable had congestive heart failure, & would need to be on medication. I thought...no problem. We had had a little Pomeranian who was born with patent ductus arteriosus, or a hole in the heart, a genetic defect caused by too much inbreeding. We knew someone who knew his breeder, & they were planning to euthanize him, to keep the defect out of the breed. We took him, & he was our daughter's childhood dog. With meds, he lived to be 14 years old, was also feisty, never realized our sick he was, outlived 2 Dobermans, & died peacefully in my arms.

So, I thought we had at least 4 more years with Sable. But, she developed a cough about a month ago. The vet said that her lungs and belly were free of fluid (signs that congestive heart failure is worsening). With meds, the cough improved but didn't go away.

Last Friday, we went back to the vet, because after walking on Thursday night, Sable was struggling to breathe, coughing & propping herself up on her front feet, & just wanting to sit outdoors all night long. This time, Sable had fluid in her lungs & ascites (fluid in the abdomen). The vet prescribed a diuretic, cough medicine, & antibiotic & said that maybe she would rally.

Sable last ate willingly on that same day. I've had to force all these pills down her throat, & squirt a nutritional substitute through a syringe into her mouth, which she has vomited back up. The veterinarian tells me this is happening because the ascites is pressing against her stomach, causing her to not feel hungry. The veterinarian said there is no hope...she will die soon.

This little girl has been my best friend for years, especially the past 7 years since we relocated to another state, & both my spouse & I have been plagued by orthopedic issues, employment issues, family issues, deaths of loved ones, & wondering why in the h--- we ever moved here. This summer was going to be our "rehab summer", taking long walks during the long summer evenings & trying to regain our physical & mental health. Sable took her last walk with us & the latest of our goofy Dobermans, just one week ago. She seemed a little tired, but otherwise as joyful as she always is to be outside.

Tonight, she is laying in her little bed beside me on the couch, resting quietly, every once in awhile rolling over for a belly scratch, her very favorite thing. I'm not going to shove pills down my friend's throat anymore.

I don't even want to think about waking up & not seeing her next to me on my bed. I'm trying to live in this moment, & enjoy her presence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2017, 08:19 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,898,606 times
I'm sorry about the bad news you received about Sable

Spend time with her and try to make her as comfortable as possible.

I went through this about 7 years ago with Lil Oz, a cat of mine who had congestive heart failure. I spent the night with him on his favorite spot on the floor and petted him. He fell asleep and passed away peacefully. I won't say that it was easy but I was glad that I spent that last night with him.

Old 07-20-2017, 08:21 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,458,170 times
My heart goes out to you. Sincerely sending comfort your way!

She is with you and you love her...it's such a sensitive journey to witness...May you guide her with tenderness...

Old 07-20-2017, 08:30 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,183,960 times
I know how you feel, I lost my beautiful 6 1/2 year old Cane Corso two months ago today. I miss her every day. I'm so sorry that Sable and the rest of your family have to go through this. Hugs to you.

Old 07-21-2017, 04:44 AM

12,477 posts, read 17,796,829 times
Hopefully Sable won't suffer and my heart goes out to you...........sending white lights of comfort.

Old 07-21-2017, 05:23 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,499,383 times
MarciaMarshaMarcia - I am so sorry. Continue to love and nurture her. I know you will. My wife and I are grieving over here in KC, now, too. Our 10 1/2 year old cat Matty has gone blind and may be in for further battles. His liver is concerning the vet - she's awaiting blood test results today to see what's wrong. His ears and gums are fading in color - she equates this to worrying about the liver. So we shall see. It's breaking our hearts because he's such a sensitve cat. This basically sucks.

Sending prayers and positive thoughts your way, MarshMarciaMarsha.

Old 07-21-2017, 05:45 AM

12,477 posts, read 17,796,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
MarciaMarshaMarcia - I am so sorry. Continue to love and nurture her. I know you will. My wife and I are grieving over here in KC, now, too. Our 10 1/2 year old cat Matty has gone blind and may be in for further battles. His liver is concerning the vet - she's awaiting blood test results today to see what's wrong. His ears and gums are fading in color - she equates this to worrying about the liver. So we shall see. It's breaking our hearts because he's such a sensitve cat. This basically sucks.

Sending prayers and positive thoughts your way, MarshMarciaMarsha.
prayers to you and your fur baby too Elkotronics

Old 07-21-2017, 06:43 AM

23,688 posts, read 9,386,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaMarshaMarcia View Post
Sable is our feisty, 10 y.o. female chihuahua/Schipperke mix, who we rescued from San Diego, CA Dept. of Animal Control in November 2008. She was a stray, picked up on the street, about to be euthanized because there are too many unwanted dogs.

She is a sweet, stubborn, funny little girl who loves long walks & playing tug-of-war with our present & past Dobermans.

Two years ago, during a routine visit, the vet told me that Sable had a mild heart murmur that required no treatment. A year ago, when she had a cyst removed from her leg, vet told me the heart murmur had worsened, Sable had congestive heart failure, & would need to be on medication. I thought...no problem. We had had a little Pomeranian who was born with patent ductus arteriosus, or a hole in the heart, a genetic defect caused by too much inbreeding. We knew someone who knew his breeder, & they were planning to euthanize him, to keep the defect out of the breed. We took him, & he was our daughter's childhood dog. With meds, he lived to be 14 years old, was also feisty, never realized our sick he was, outlived 2 Dobermans, & died peacefully in my arms.

So, I thought we had at least 4 more years with Sable. But, she developed a cough about a month ago. The vet said that her lungs and belly were free of fluid (signs that congestive heart failure is worsening). With meds, the cough improved but didn't go away.

Last Friday, we went back to the vet, because after walking on Thursday night, Sable was struggling to breathe, coughing & propping herself up on her front feet, & just wanting to sit outdoors all night long. This time, Sable had fluid in her lungs & ascites (fluid in the abdomen). The vet prescribed a diuretic, cough medicine, & antibiotic & said that maybe she would rally.

Sable last ate willingly on that same day. I've had to force all these pills down her throat, & squirt a nutritional substitute through a syringe into her mouth, which she has vomited back up. The veterinarian tells me this is happening because the ascites is pressing against her stomach, causing her to not feel hungry. The veterinarian said there is no hope...she will die soon.

This little girl has been my best friend for years, especially the past 7 years since we relocated to another state, & both my spouse & I have been plagued by orthopedic issues, employment issues, family issues, deaths of loved ones, & wondering why in the h--- we ever moved here. This summer was going to be our "rehab summer", taking long walks during the long summer evenings & trying to regain our physical & mental health. Sable took her last walk with us & the latest of our goofy Dobermans, just one week ago. She seemed a little tired, but otherwise as joyful as she always is to be outside.

Tonight, she is laying in her little bed beside me on the couch, resting quietly, every once in awhile rolling over for a belly scratch, her very favorite thing. I'm not going to shove pills down my friend's throat anymore.

I don't even want to think about waking up & not seeing her next to me on my bed. I'm trying to live in this moment, & enjoy her presence.
I am so sorry to hear that,OP.I lost my sweet dog a while back and it was so horrible so I can really relate.I wish you the best of luck.

Old 07-21-2017, 06:45 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,377,781 times
I'm so sorry to read this. Schipperkes are such amazing little dogs - I know you will have a big hole in your life. But it sounds like she had an amazing life with you, and that's really the important thing to focus on once she's gone. They are really the only animal that has evolved to fit to us, and so many people take them for granted. She is a part of your family and is clearly very loved, and believe me, they know the difference.

Old 07-21-2017, 07:03 AM

3,671 posts, read 3,558,235 times
I know there aren't any words that will help, but I am truly sad for what you are going through. Just remember there will be no more pain for your sweet pup.
My heart goes out to you Marcia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs