Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2016, 08:57 PM

1 posts, read 1,200 times

Advertisements

Hi,
We got this new little yorkie about 6 months ago. He's been after our older springer spaniel for some time playing pulling on her ears etc. tonight not sure what happened but the springer bit him in the face besides his left eye and on the right side of his cheak. he yapped and left running with his nose bleeding. since its sunday night I called the emergency line and the vet told me that the face was the best place to get bite and that he should be fine. now I'm worried because his nose is still kinda full and according to my husband which is at home with him cause I have to work said he was a bit crying but he seemed ok. just want a second opinion..... any suggestion.. the other dog has been following him and is not even sleeping in her bed... oh my....

Last edited by The Villages Guy; 02-22-2016 at 08:35 PM.. Reason: Corrected typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2016, 11:23 PM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
For God's sake - Take the dog to the vet!!!! First thing tomorrow morning.

Old 02-22-2016, 06:43 AM

1,024 posts, read 1,276,853 times
Older, calm dog + one annoying, rambunctious pup = a good doggie spanking.

First and foremost, if you see the yorkie pulling her ears, trying to play rough no matter how many times the older dog has rejected her by walking away, growling, snapping, etc... you or your husband need to step in and give one of them a "time out". Distract the pup with toys. Place a temporary doggie gate or barrier to allow the older dog some hours of peace and quiet without excluding her out of family activities. Do what you need to do to give the younger dog an alternative to play that is safe and inviting (I.e. kongs, chew toys, play fetch, etc) while allowing your older dog to escape and left alone to her leisure. Supervise the pup until he learns how to play nice.

Second, are there puncture wounds? Scratches? Are they swollen? Pus or blood still coming out? Clean it with some warm water mixed with a little hydrogen peroxide or salt water. Is it still red? Scabbing? Is the bite making the pup squint his eye? If It's minor scratches, he will be fine. Otherwise, a quick check up never hurts for a dog his age.

Old 02-22-2016, 07:38 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,986,592 times
Yes, take pup to the vet to have the wounds checked out.

Your yorkie's puppy license (which is normally good through about 6 months of age) has expired. Your older dog will begin correcting yorkie for rude or obnoxious behavior; this is normal and is how your yorkie will learn how to interact appropriately with other dogs. I would not interfere or intervene with this process. If your yorkie doesn't learn these lessons from your springer, he will learn them from another dog who might not be so benevolent. It will be hard for you to watch, but learning proper doggie behavior is part of your pup's education; generally, puppies learn very quickly from one or two corrections. In other words, I suspect yorkie will think twice before he commits the same breach of etiquette with your springer again.

From your springer's point of view- it is his job to educate this rude young upstart, and he is fully able to do so; he doesn't need you to intervene in the process.

This isn't an issue of two older dogs squabbling in which case management (intervention) would definitely be appropriate; rather this is a case of a young pup who needs to learn how to behave appropriately, so you need to allow your springer to provide measured discipline that the pup will understand and respond to.

Old 02-22-2016, 07:49 AM

4,231 posts, read 15,418,446 times
They need separate time - the older dog's patience has come to an end - the puppy is a typical puppy w/ no boundaries but please keep them separated to give the older one a break from the constant biting and playing that the puppy wants - obviously the puppy was too pushy and demanding and that was the straw that broke the camel's back - definitely separate them when no one's home or someone isn't able to watch them interact together and get that dog to the vet - eye injuries can be very serious (and $$) - please keep us posted

Old 02-22-2016, 08:10 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,986,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeycrisp View Post
They need separate time - the older dog's patience has come to an end - the puppy is a typical puppy w/ no boundaries but please keep them separated to give the older one a break from the constant biting and playing that the puppy wants - obviously the puppy was too pushy and demanding and that was the straw that broke the camel's back - definitely separate them when no one's home or someone isn't able to watch them interact together and get that dog to the vet - eye injuries can be very serious (and $$) - please keep us posted
The puppy learns boundaries and what is appropriate by being corrected by the older dog. More issues will be caused by human interference than will be caused by leaving the older dog alone to school the young pup.

The springer's patience is being tested, and when he has had enough he will let the pup know; this is how the pup learns to 1) read another dog; and 2) learn that certain behaviors will no longer be tolerated.

Barring true aggression diagnosed by a certified behaviorist or the springer being shy or fearful, none of which the OP mentioned, then I would let the older springer handle the pup appropriately. BTW, the fact that the pup is approximately 7-8 months old and the springer hasn't taken any disciplinary action up to this time (despite obnoxious young pup being a punk) suggests that the springer is handling the situation appropriately and without undue corrections.

Last edited by twelvepaw; 02-22-2016 at 08:20 AM..

Old 02-22-2016, 03:24 PM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,118,385 times
puppies are obnoxious and are unaware of this...older pups will correct them. Lots of great advice already given...twelvepaw is spot on.

Old 02-22-2016, 06:59 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,583,607 times
I agree with twelve paw the puppy needs to learn appropriate dog behavior and your older dog is the best teacher.

Old 02-23-2016, 09:58 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,537,463 times
I agree with everyone suggesting to take him to the vet JUST in case there is an infection or one of the bones in his jaw or snout is broken or cracked.

Your puppy was acting like a normal puppy. Your senior dog was also acting normal. Your puppy got a good lesson about the totem pole of dog seniority and acceptable behaviour.

I think the puppy will be much more cautious around your older dog now, but YOU need to supervise them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs