Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2017, 11:28 AM

2,036 posts, read 3,354,610 times

Advertisements

I see (by Googling) that most dog kennels (for boarding) require vaccinations to be done 14 days before the pet being admitted to the kennel. (I'm in NJ)

I just found out that my S/O needs heart surgery Wed. This will not give us time to have the bordatella vaccine. How am i going to be able to kennel my dog someplace? It may only be needed for one night. Any ideas? Maybe the vet can do it.

She is 1.5 yrs old, still very puppy-like, and big (100 lbs) and too rambunctious for anyone to take care of. (such as a family member) I'm really getting worried that she's going to have to be in the car at the hospital and me in and out, and it's going to be hot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2017, 01:07 PM

1,664 posts, read 1,919,770 times
Here, in Tennessee, if a dog is found alone in a hot car a Good Samaritan has the right to break the car window and call the police.

The best thing for you to do is to talk to your vet "five minutes ago". perhaps the vet has a space for your dog for the short term you will need.

Do not leave that poor dog in the car! Not even with the windows part way down ---- you are asking for even bigger problems than what you are facing.

Old 08-10-2017, 01:46 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,766,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybean50 View Post
I see (by Googling) that most dog kennels (for boarding) require vaccinations to be done 14 days before the pet being admitted to the kennel. (I'm in NJ)

I just found out that my S/O needs heart surgery Wed. This will not give us time to have the bordatella vaccine. How am i going to be able to kennel my dog someplace? It may only be needed for one night. Any ideas? Maybe the vet can do it.

She is 1.5 yrs old, still very puppy-like, and big (100 lbs) and too rambunctious for anyone to take care of. (such as a family member) I'm really getting worried that she's going to have to be in the car at the hospital and me in and out, and it's going to be hot.
Call the vet ASAP. Get the vaccine NOW. Does the vet board? Sometimes they will let you board your dog if you get the vaccine even though it hasn't had time to be effective. They may require you to board in the hospital section which can be more expensive.

If the vet does not board start calling boarding facilities now and see what can be done.

The other alternative is to get a pet sitter to come to the house. Again start calling NOW. It's the summer and boarding facilities and pet sitters will be busy.

You can not leave your dog in the car in Tennessee in the summer even in the shade. The dog could very easily die. Cracking the windows won't be enough air and if you open them too much the car and dog could be stolen (and it still may very well be too hot for the dog).

Last edited by Rowan123; 08-10-2017 at 02:10 PM..

Old 08-10-2017, 05:49 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,851,628 times
Get a pet sitter to come too your house. Ask the vet if any of the vet techs do it. About the same price as boarding a large dog and you are not risking your dog's health!

Old 08-10-2017, 09:44 PM

231 posts, read 335,018 times
I am in NJ and I have used Rover. Just read the reviews and do a meet & greet.

Old 08-10-2017, 10:59 PM

4,514 posts, read 2,526,926 times
You can give intra nasal vaccine same day as being boarded.
Ask boarding kennels. If that doesn't work consider pet sitter in home. Or ask vet who they recommend.

Old 08-11-2017, 08:56 AM

2,036 posts, read 3,354,610 times
Thanks everyone. All of the boarding and day cares say they need the intra-nasal 14 days before.

Old 08-11-2017, 09:03 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,766,814 times
Quote:
Thanks everyone. All of the boarding and day cares say they need the intra-nasal 14 days before.
My vet will board unvaccinated dogs in the "hospital" section. Call the a vet who boards and see if they will do the same.

Old 08-11-2017, 10:06 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,385,483 times
If it's just for 1 night, hire a dog sitter from any one of a number of reputable services or ask a friend to come by 3 or 4 times a day. Get a large kong, stuff it with food and freeze it to keep her occupied while you're gone and between sitter visits. If you even have remotely friendly neighbors, I'm sure they would be happy to help you out.

Old 08-11-2017, 10:16 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,424,866 times
Quote:
I'm really getting worried that she's going to have to be in the car at the hospital and me in and out, and it's going to be hot.
That is not an option.

The option is to have someone else take your SO to surgery if you can't find someone to kennel your dog, since you fell down on your responsibility as an owner to get him vaccinated in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs