Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2017, 09:22 AM

472 posts, read 439,233 times

Advertisements

Dogs are wonderful. My current dog, a 12 year old Golden Retriever rescue named Milo who I adopted when he was 5 from an abusive owner who blinded him in one eye through beating him, is my best friend and so much fun to be around. He's still a ball of energy even at his age and the only regret is that I couldn't have had him since he was a puppy and therefore save him from years of abuse and neglect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2017, 02:12 PM

919 posts, read 610,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWarden View Post
Dogs are wonderful. My current dog, a 12 year old Golden Retriever rescue named Milo who I adopted when he was 5 from an abusive owner who blinded him in one eye through beating him, is my best friend and so much fun to be around. He's still a ball of energy even at his age and the only regret is that I couldn't have had him since he was a puppy and therefore save him from years of abuse and neglect.
How anyone could beat any dog is beyond me but Goldies are so sweet natured it does my head in.
My 13mo Rotti is pushy, demanding, would love to be boss & his PICA makes training quite challenging.
Under all that he is a very sweet boy.
I shudder to think how he would've been treated by someone less patient or less experienced.

The fact that your boy is your 'best friend & so much fun to be around', shows that the past abuse is, if at all, a distant memory. Bless you for adopting him & giving him a home that he deserves.

Old 11-25-2017, 08:12 AM

3,925 posts, read 4,136,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legion777 View Post
How anyone could beat any dog is beyond me but Goldies are so sweet natured it does my head in.
My 13mo Rotti is pushy, demanding, would love to be boss & his PICA makes training quite challenging.
Under all that he is a very sweet boy.
I shudder to think how he would've been treated by someone less patient or less experienced.

The fact that your boy is your 'best friend & so much fun to be around', shows that the past abuse is, if at all, a distant memory. Bless you for adopting him & giving him a home that he deserves.
Part of this comes from training techniques that said that dogs are like wolves and you have to dominate them.

Unfortunately that research was done on wolves in zoos where a whole bunch of different wolves were put together, and none could leave. This is not how wolf packs in the wild are. More recent wolf studies in the wild have shown that none of the dynamics that you see in zoos exists in the wild. See books by Cognitive Science Researcher Alexandra Horowitz, PhD.

Dogs trained using all positive reinforcement do not show a need to dominate you. If you model dominance, they will learn dominance. Children are the same way.

Old 11-25-2017, 08:19 AM

3,925 posts, read 4,136,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
You will get no argument from me! I don't think I have ever met an evil, narcissistic or manipulative dog.
I did have a mentally disturbed Labrador Retriever 2 dogs ago. It may have actually had some kind of seizure disorder when if you touched it while dozing or while eating its food, it would attack. We tried everything, but he got progressively worse, and eventually we had to euthanize him. We were actually scared of him as he weighed 120 lb, and had already injured me. One moment he was loving and the next moment he would attack going for our throats, and literally the next moment he was back to loving and licking. When not eating, we had to keep him muzzled all the time(like being in a straight-jacket if you were human).

I saw a kind of psycho-motor seizure disorder in children that was similar when I worked as a counseling psychologist for the 40 years before I retired. That was very very very rare, even in residential populations for mental disorders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs