Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2017, 07:39 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,888,603 times

Advertisements

We have a 3 year old large male (fixed) dog my husband and I let sleep with us. He spent over a year in a shelter on a cold cement floor all alone and we have not been able to crate train him or even get him to sleep off the bed at night (we will go off for a while if we insist, but get back on when we fall asleep). He is the only dog we have let sleep with us, everyone before him and now slept in crates (even fosters).

Overall he is well behaved (I could do more training and he would love that, but he isn't openly defiant) and I am the top dog in our house. He follows me around over anyone else, he listens to me best, he turns to me when he has a need or is confused, etc.

But at night he parks himself between me and my husband and put his sweet block head on my husband's shoulder (or chest or stomach) and sticks his rump in my face! (well sometimes he sleeps at our feet, but if he is up between us, that is how he sleeps)

I will even call him over and scratch him, pet him and talk doggy talk to him...and as soon as I stop...head on "daddy" and rump near mommy.

Is there a meaning to this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2017, 03:59 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,589,470 times
It's warm and comfortable and you let him do it.

I wouldn't read any deeper meaning into it. Dogs don't attach the same importance to "mooning" as people.

Old 11-12-2017, 04:23 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
From what I have read, dogs that turn their back on you and give you the butt really trust you (And want a butt scratch).

But I don't know if this translates to sleeping.

The other thing is that any dog I have ever had that snuck up on the bed has again put her back to me, which I read they do as a protection thing. Not the butt, per se, but the head is always pointing in the opposite direction.

Old 11-12-2017, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
From what I have read, dogs that turn their back on you and give you the butt really trust you (And want a butt scratch).

But I don't know if this translates to sleeping.

The other thing is that any dog I have ever had that snuck up on the bed has again put her back to me, which I read they do as a protection thing. Not the butt, per se, but the head is always pointing in the opposite direction.
Or maybe a sniff! I was thinking about sleeping only, not how animals greet each other.

I sometimes wonder, when a cat or dog shows us its butt, and we fail to follow the normal protocol - sniffing the proffered posterior and then offering our own for inspection - do they think we are rude?

Old 11-12-2017, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Or maybe a sniff! I was thinking about sleeping only, not how animals greet each other.

I sometimes wonder, when a cat or dog shows us its butt, and we fail to follow the normal protocol - sniffing the proffered posterior and then offering our own for inspection - do they think we are rude?
Given that they jam their butt against you and that I've never seen a dog jam its butt against another dog and that they look at you till you start scratching...it's the scratching.

Old 11-12-2017, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Given that they jam their butt against you and that I've never seen a dog jam its butt against another dog and that they look at you till you start scratching...it's the scratching.
Well, I guess I am guilty of a major humor fail.

Old 11-12-2017, 05:38 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
It's warm and comfortable and you let him do it.
And deep down you like it.

Cheech will start the night curled up at the foot of the bed.
When it's colder he'll do that closer and maybe with his chin on an ankle.

By morning though he'll have moved up somewhat ...
and sometimes that will have him stretched out and his head right on the pillow.

Old 11-12-2017, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
And deep down you like it.

Cheech will start the night curled up at the foot of the bed.
When it's colder he'll do that closer and maybe with his chin on an ankle.

By morning though he'll have moved up somewhat ...
and sometimes that will have him stretched out and his head right on the pillow.
Oh, I absolutely like it! I don't even have to dig very deep. The more of my pets who pile on the bed with me, the happier I am.

Old 11-12-2017, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Well, I guess I am guilty of a major humor fail.
Not your fault.
It was so early...

Old 11-12-2017, 06:55 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,690,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
We have a 3 year old large male (fixed) dog my husband and I let sleep with us. He spent over a year in a shelter on a cold cement floor all alone and we have not been able to crate train him or even get him to sleep off the bed at night (we will go off for a while if we insist, but get back on when we fall asleep). He is the only dog we have let sleep with us, everyone before him and now slept in crates (even fosters).

Overall he is well behaved (I could do more training and he would love that, but he isn't openly defiant) and I am the top dog in our house. He follows me around over anyone else, he listens to me best, he turns to me when he has a need or is confused, etc.

But at night he parks himself between me and my husband and put his sweet block head on my husband's shoulder (or chest or stomach) and sticks his rump in my face! (well sometimes he sleeps at our feet, but if he is up between us, that is how he sleeps)

I will even call him over and scratch him, pet him and talk doggy talk to him...and as soon as I stop...head on "daddy" and rump near mommy.

Is there a meaning to this?
Oh yes, he feels like the luckiest dog in the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs