Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2018, 06:23 PM

1,201 posts, read 804,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by APBT_Samara View Post
These are a couple photos from today

Okay dog breeds = not your strong point obviously

Fun facts
In the UK Pit Bulls are banned, Staffy Bulls are not
Staffy Bulls are a brachycephalic breed, Pit Bulls are not.
I’m well versed on dog breeds. Been showing for years. That’s a failure on their part and it explains why so many people are mauled by them in the U.K.! Say whatever you want, I’m not buying it. I’m sure the “fur mommies” will swallow it hook, line, and sinker though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2018, 07:18 PM

1,179 posts, read 8,710,944 times
I've been showing for years as well. Not sure the relevance.
So Otto are you going to try and convince the registries and breed clubs they have it all wrong and that Staffy Bulls are actually Pit Bulls. Lol lol.

Someone who shows should understand genes and physical traits. Now I see this is why people think show owners are clueless folks who are going to kill off dogs. I can't mistake a brachy breed as being another breed.

I try not to talk with the fur mommies. No offense to anyone please, but they just don't understand driven working type dogs so it creates some complications to say the least. Though not sure what any of this has to do with fur mommies? Why would they care? Are ther really concerned if these are the same or different breed? I kind of doubt the ability of most fur mom's when it comes to dog breeds also because most don't care enough to learn about them (ime). Some are also very against breeding (as well as showing dogs, working dogs, doing dog sports, conditioning dogs, might be anti euthanasia depending on how extreme their views are). I can't deal with all that.

When it comes to my breed specifically they also use terms like Pittie and worse imo Pibble it makes me grit my teeth. It probably sounds mean but Pibble especially is a huge peeve. It sounds like a speech impediment. It's Pit Bull, Pit Bull, Pit Bull why mess it up on purpose.

Last edited by APBT_Samara; 03-02-2018 at 07:36 PM..

Old 03-02-2018, 07:52 PM

122 posts, read 124,941 times
Thank-you for sharing your information APBT_Samara. I really appreciate your assessment of both Embark and Wisdom Panel.

I find it fascinating how our only tools used to be statistical methods (like COI) and reporting for maintaining genetic diversity. Now, using DNA, we have the ability to find out so much more beyond the date the stud book closed.

And last but not least – Kratos is a beautiful boy!

Old 03-02-2018, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Standards13 View Post
Thank-you for sharing your information APBT_Samara. I really appreciate your assessment of both Embark and Wisdom Panel.

I find it fascinating how our only tools used to be statistical methods (like COI) and reporting for maintaining genetic diversity. Now, using DNA, we have the ability to find out so much more beyond the date the stud book closed.

And last but not least – Kratos is a beautiful boy!
I'm glad you enjoyed my post.
I also find it all very interesting and helpful! It is great to have genetic information now at our finger tips with these scientific advancements.
Speaking of COI his pedigree calculated COI is 2.3%, the genetic calculation Embark gave was 5%.
I'm very happy to be able to have the ability to garner so much information genetically.

Also thank you for the compliments.

Old 03-02-2018, 10:47 PM

2,080 posts, read 1,606,689 times
Quote:
So Otto are you going to try and convince the registries and breed clubs they have it all wrong and that Staffy Bulls are actually Pit Bulls. Lol lol.

Someone who shows should understand genes and physical traits. Now I see this is why people think show owners are clueless folks who are going to kill off dogs. I can't mistake a brachy breed as being another breed.

I try not to talk with the fur mommies. No offense to anyone please, but they just don't understand driven working type dogs so it creates some complications to say the least. Though not sure what any of this has to do with fur mommies? Why would they care? Are ther really concerned if these are the same or different breed? I kind of doubt the ability of most fur mom's when it comes to dog breeds also because most don't care enough to learn about them (ime). Some are also very against breeding (as well as showing dogs, working dogs, doing dog sports, conditioning dogs, might be anti euthanasia depending on how extreme their views are). I can't deal with all that.

When it comes to my breed specifically they also use terms like Pittie and worse imo Pibble it makes me grit my teeth. It probably sounds mean but Pibble especially is a huge peeve. It sounds like a speech impediment. It's Pit Bull, Pit Bull, Pit Bull why mess it up on purpose.
"Pittie" and especially "Pibble" makes me cringe as well, though I'm not a Pit Bull owner. It just sounds too much like baby talk, i.e. my dog isn't a handsome, wonderful companion, he/she's an ittybittypittykins or whatever. Please, no. I will admit that I use baby talk occasionally when speaking to my dog - but usually at home, and never in online posts - I'd be embarrassed.

I've only seen a Staffie Bull a few times; they're not very common in my area; while I see Pit Bulls and PB-mixes frequently.

To echo a previous post, Kratos is quite the good-looking pup.

Old 03-03-2018, 06:00 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,988,652 times
Quote:
When it comes to my breed specifically they also use terms like Pittie and worse imo Pibble it makes me grit my teeth. It probably sounds mean but Pibble especially is a huge peeve. It sounds like a speech impediment.
I am guilty of saying pittie as a catch-all term. My area is swamped with so many various ambiguous mixed breeds that it is impossible to distinguish the various mixes which as you know could include almost anything including American Bulldogs and boxers. I do a lot of work with various pit bull type looking mixes and while I understand the differences between different breeds, the mixes are indistinguishable and impossible to untangle. So, yes, I say pittie.

From what I have seen Bad Rap and other rescue groups are guilty of using and spreading "pibble". I too hate this term.

Old 03-03-2018, 09:02 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,589,470 times
Quote:

"Pittie" sounds like the same kind of nickname people give to other breeds, like "Westie," "Sheltie, "Aussie," etc. I agree that "Pibble" sounds silly. It may or may not be an effort to endear the breed to people who fear them, but it clearly does not work, as you may have seen from some of the posts here. Haters gonna hate, and being coy about the breed isn't going to help.

Old 03-05-2018, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina14 View Post
"Pittie" and especially "Pibble" makes me cringe as well, though I'm not a Pit Bull owner. It just sounds too much like baby talk, i.e. my dog isn't a handsome, wonderful companion, he/she's an ittybittypittykins or whatever. Please, no. I will admit that I use baby talk occasionally when speaking to my dog - but usually at home, and never in online posts - I'd be embarrassed.

I've only seen a Staffie Bull a few times; they're not very common in my area; while I see Pit Bulls and PB-mixes frequently.

To echo a previous post, Kratos is quite the good-looking pup.
Have to admit I baby talk some times, it's hard not too I guess like when I come home and they are wigglying in excitement yes I do it lol.
But like you said at home and not in public or online. Also when speaking to others, it is just way too silly. I can't take someone serious if they say pibble. One of my best friends didn't realize what another girl had actually said at first due to how she pronouced it she thought the girl said pimples rather than pibbles.

Staffies are very uncommon, while Pit have a much higher population and of course there will be a lot more mixes of them also. Last numbers I knew 200,000 Pits registered per year vs I believe 800-900 Staffy Bulls and for those reg as AmStaff around 1,000.

Thank you for checking out his results and complimenting him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twelvepaw View Post
I am guilty of saying pittie as a catch-all term. My area is swamped with so many various ambiguous mixed breeds that it is impossible to distinguish the various mixes which as you know could include almost anything including American Bulldogs and boxers. I do a lot of work with various pit bull type looking mixes and while I understand the differences between different breeds, the mixes are indistinguishable and impossible to untangle. So, yes, I say pittie.

From what I have seen Bad Rap and other rescue groups are guilty of using and spreading "pibble". I too hate this term.
Pittie might not be as bad just reminds me too much of Rottie but that's been used a long time where Pittie wasn't. I understand there are a lot of Pit x out there or maybe other mixes that look like Pits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
"Pittie" sounds like the same kind of nickname people give to other breeds, like "Westie," "Sheltie, "Aussie," etc. I agree that "Pibble" sounds silly. It may or may not be an effort to endear the breed to people who fear them, but it clearly does not work, as you may have seen from some of the posts here. Haters gonna hate, and being coy about the breed isn't going to help.
Growing up I never heard the term Pittie and like said above it does just seem like trying to sound like Rottie. Butt both Pit Bull and Pittie are two syllable so not sure why it was necessary to start, heck you could even take it a step further and just say Pit for short.

Yeah not really going to work like you said, I've seen be breed names used and such, but people are still going to have negative opinions about them.

Old 03-05-2018, 06:23 PM

1,201 posts, read 804,403 times
Quote:

Yeah not really going to work like you said, I've seen be breed names used and such, but people are still going to have negative opinions about them.
True that! No amount of name games will ever change my opinion on them or my work.

Old 03-05-2018, 06:47 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,589,470 times
Quote:
Have to admit I baby talk some times, it's hard not too I guess like when I come home and they are wigglying in excitement yes I do it lol.
But like you said at home and not in public or online. Also when speaking to others, it is just way too silly. I can't take someone serious if they say pibble. One of my best friends didn't realize what another girl had actually said at first due to how she pronouced it she thought the girl said pimples rather than pibbles.

Staffies are very uncommon, while Pit have a much higher population and of course there will be a lot more mixes of them also. Last numbers I knew 200,000 Pits registered per year vs I believe 800-900 Staffy Bulls and for those reg as AmStaff around 1,000.

Thank you for checking out his results and complimenting him.

Pittie might not be as bad just reminds me too much of Rottie but that's been used a long time where Pittie wasn't. I understand there are a lot of Pit x out there or maybe other mixes that look like Pits.

Growing up I never heard the term Pittie and like said above it does just seem like trying to sound like Rottie. Butt both Pit Bull and Pittie are two syllable so not sure why it was necessary to start, heck you could even take it a step further and just say Pit for short.

Actually, that is exactly what I usually do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs