Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2018, 01:24 PM

170 posts, read 121,731 times

Advertisements

Our rescue dog is integrating nicely and has been great about sleeping through the night on his bed in the living room. We baby gated off our bedroom for the cats but in the last week started to take the gate down when we are home. The dog has visited our room a few times but has not attempted to spend any real time there.

Las night around 4am he came a callin'. Put his chin on the bed and wagged his tail-- like "hi guys! I wanted to see what you were doing!" I don't allow dogs on the bed or the sofa so I re-directed him to his bed and gave him a treat when he lay down. He followed me back up the stairs so I closed the bedroom door (we are working on the "stay" command). He laid outside whining softly for several minutes but eventually went back down stairs to his bed.

He was also fitful after this, alerting to passers by which he will periodically do at night, but he was obviously awake and more bark-y. I don't want a repeat this evening, so I am wondering if anyone has advice on nipping this behavior in the bud. He's not crated and we aren't interested in crating just FYI. The home he came from also never crated him. He has great manners in the house and this is the first such incident since we have had him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2018, 02:23 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,765,820 times
Can you let him sleep on a dog bed in your room? He wants to be with the rest of the pack. I think if you put his bed in your room that would solve the problem.

Old 03-29-2018, 02:24 PM

1,201 posts, read 804,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kickingthebricks View Post
Our rescue dog is integrating nicely and has been great about sleeping through the night on his bed in the living room. We baby gated off our bedroom for the cats but in the last week started to take the gate down when we are home. The dog has visited our room a few times but has not attempted to spend any real time there.

Las night around 4am he came a callin'. Put his chin on the bed and wagged his tail-- like "hi guys! I wanted to see what you were doing!" I don't allow dogs on the bed or the sofa so I re-directed him to his bed and gave him a treat when he lay down. He followed me back up the stairs so I closed the bedroom door (we are working on the "stay" command). He laid outside whining softly for several minutes but eventually went back down stairs to his bed.

He was also fitful after this, alerting to passers by which he will periodically do at night, but he was obviously awake and more bark-y. I don't want a repeat this evening, so I am wondering if anyone has advice on nipping this behavior in the bud. He's not crated and we aren't interested in crating just FYI. The home he came from also never crated him. He has great manners in the house and this is the first such incident since we have had him.
I'm sure once he sees his tactics get no response, he will give it up. I crate all fosters in the beginning but after I've put a lot of work into them and have them calm and behaving nicely in the house, I start transitioning them out of the crate and giving more freedom. I start with sleeping out of the crate at night. I just keep taking them back to their bed with a "go back to bed". I make sure not to say anything else, or pet them, or in any way give them attention. Pretty soon, just "go back to bed" is enough they leave the bedside. After a couple nights, they may come in to check that I haven't moved out on them but then return to their bed on their own. Within a few nights, they don't get up anymore. I did have to sleep with the pet corrector for awhile because one dog I had would wait until he knew I was sound asleep, then try to sneak up on my bed!!! NOPE! That's not happening! My own dog doesn't get to sleep in my bed and the foster dogs certainly aren't going to do it.

Old 03-29-2018, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
Can you let him sleep on a dog bed in your room? He wants to be with the rest of the pack. I think if you put his bed in your room that would solve the problem.
One of our cats is very frightened of him and he sleeps with us-- has for years. We don't want to disrupt an existing pet in favor of a new one. He has a dog bed in the study which is next door, and another big cushy one downstairs.

Old 03-29-2018, 02:48 PM

2,333 posts, read 2,001,847 times
Eventually, the dog will work with whatever you give him. However, I do have to ask this: did the dog need to pee, or poop? Or was there something he was alerting to but that was beyond your senses?

Some dogs are just looking for some company - not liking to be alone. Others are awake and energetic for other reasons - they suspect something is outside - or they need to pee or poop.

Old 03-29-2018, 02:48 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,800,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
yep, I feel bad for the fella; he's new to the household and feeling lonely and possibly a bit abandoned at sleep time. My door is always open to 3 cats and 2 dogs.

Old 03-29-2018, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiero2 View Post
Eventually, the dog will work with whatever you give him. However, I do have to ask this: did the dog need to pee, or poop? Or was there something he was alerting to but that was beyond your senses?

Some dogs are just looking for some company - not liking to be alone. Others are awake and energetic for other reasons - they suspect something is outside - or they need to pee or poop.
I did try to get him to go outside-- he just wanted to hang out. He is good about alerting and I thought maybe something was going on at first. But he wasn't "at attention" -- he was more in a relaxed, "hey let's play or cuddle" sort of posture. He has not shown any separation anxiety thus far and will visit when I am working from home in our office, but doesn't hang out for any length of time. He loves his bed.

Old 03-29-2018, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
yep, I feel bad for the fella; he's new to the household and feeling lonely and possibly a bit abandoned at sleep time. My door is always open to 3 cats and 2 dogs.
Yeah, we want to establish that the bed and the bedroom is not somewhere the dog needs to hang out. He has lots of other places to be around us.

Old 03-29-2018, 06:56 PM

49 posts, read 46,960 times
Maybe he needs an extra walk before bed. I know my dogs are more prone to bothering me in bed (by visits or barking) on days that they get less exercise.

Old 03-29-2018, 08:02 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,800,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kickingthebricks View Post
Yeah, we want to establish that the bed and the bedroom is not somewhere the dog needs to hang out. He has lots of other places to be around us.
I know you said that and hey it's your house-your rules. But you are on here asking for a reason. And I say nights can be long and lonely for dogs. They miss the ones they idolize all day. And you allow the cat in your bed so clearly the rule isn't pet free zone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs