Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2018, 08:55 PM

3 posts, read 3,414 times

Advertisements

How worried should a person be about an EF2 to EF5 going off at night while they sleep? And, do the alarms sound when a tornado goes off in the middle of the night?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2018, 11:16 PM

1,734 posts, read 1,203,549 times
Yes, sirens will go off in the middle of the night if necessary. Some areas will send an alert that will cause your phone to go off, too.

It's not something to worry about; it's something to have awareness of and a degree of preparedness.

Pay attention each day to the weather forecast for your area. On days when the weather is likely to change, pay attention throughout the day. Have a plan of where you will go in your house or apartment or if you live in a mobile home know if there is a sturdier building on site such as a bath or washhouse.

When the conditions are right, tornados are possible any time of day or night.

If you are new to the area – especially if you're from a part of the country where such heavy storms are not as prevalent – check out information and recommended procedures on the city website and google what you should do and where you should go when bad weather threatens.

Be as prepared as you can but don't paralyze yourself with worry.

Last edited by CatzPaw; 03-23-2018 at 11:25 PM..

Old 03-24-2018, 07:01 AM

24,580 posts, read 10,884,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoldUp View Post
How worried should a person be about an EF2 to EF5 going off at night while they sleep? And, do the alarms sound when a tornado goes off in the middle of the night?
Tornadoes hit only between the hours of 8 am and 8 pm as to not disturb your sleep

Sirens go off when they are required to do so - 24/7. Generally there is also scheduled testing. In my area it is 12:00 pm on Saturday.

Old 03-24-2018, 10:28 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,263,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatzPaw View Post
Yes, sirens will go off in the middle of the night if necessary. Some areas will send an alert that will cause your phone to go off, too.

It's not something to worry about; it's something to have awareness of and a degree of preparedness.

Pay attention each day to the weather forecast for your area. On days when the weather is likely to change, pay attention throughout the day. Have a plan of where you will go in your house or apartment or if you live in a mobile home know if there is a sturdier building on site such as a bath or washhouse.

When the conditions are right, tornados are possible any time of day or night.

If you are new to the area – especially if you're from a part of the country where such heavy storms are not as prevalent – check out information and recommended procedures on the city website and google what you should do and where you should go when bad weather threatens.

Be as prepared as you can but don't paralyze yourself with worry.
If your home, there will be lots of information available. Pay attention. Turn on any network tv station. ABC/NBC/CBS will have coverage of the storm started as it approaches. They compete to see who has the best, but I primarily watch the ABC station but scan all of them. The ABC station has the best software system with Predictor, but all will keep you advised. As long as you see regular programming, the storm is either too far away or too far past. When its active, they don't bother with regular shows.

If your new, before storms come, get a map of counties and ciities and put it where you can look at it, so when they say the storm is active in x county, you can tell where it is and how far or near to you. And pay attention to repeating patterns. Storms follow patterns, and you should learn the common ones.

Also, have flashlights and keep your phones charged. The small ones with the ultra bright light don't take up much space but with a handfull of them you can stash one per room. Just check it periodically to see if its charged. And also as we have earthquakes too, look around your rooms. Is there something up high which could fall on you? Wind can do the same. And for both, look over your bedroom layout. Make sure anything higher up or which could tumble down is NOT in reach of your bed or could fall and block the door out.

I also watch the life feed on something like Wunder. You can set it up and let it run in a window on your laptop. It shows the movement of the storm over a large area, and how fast or slow its changing. It's not only educational but gives you a way of seeing a larger picture and if you are likely to be in its wake.

https://www.wunderground.com/

Everyone issues warnings about getting into your storm shelter. If you don't have one your one of many. Find a spot in your house which is the best you can do and make sure the pathway to it is clear.

It's also useful to look up your area's history with storms, and how frequent or not, and if their patterns tend to repeat.

I still hate the being on edge of spring, and would prefer enjoying the flowers, but so far have been here ten years and not even a close swipe. If only the same could be said of our new distraction, earthquakes. If I were building a home here, I'd be sure it was built up to Califonia quake standards.

Last edited by nightbird47; 03-24-2018 at 10:41 AM..

Old 03-24-2018, 11:36 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,611,567 times
OP, I'm weighing in because we have tornadoes here.

In addition to the great advice you got, you might also consider a weather radio if you don't want to download a weather alarm for your phone. This is one example. There are others!

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...RoCB18QAvD_BwE

These can be set to go off in the middle of the night if there is a problem. I don't use one because they will go off here if there is a tornado in any part of the county. I generally sleep in the basement if it seems too threatening when I go to bed.

Old 03-24-2018, 01:32 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,508,162 times
I'm gettin' up there in age now and as a lifelong Okie, save the decade I was in tejas, the West for a few years, central Florida for a year, and New England, I've never heard a siren go off at night.

You're more likely to be woken up by the police, especially in Tulsa. (oops, sorry T-Town!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa