Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 10:40 AM

170 posts, read 121,731 times

Advertisements

I want to put a plug in for the shelter we adopted from. We don't live in the area but had an excellent experience and they have dog transport every weekend to about a half hour from where we are. They may have other transports to other areas too. The variety of dogs reflects a lot of different breeds-- not just pit bull mixes (though there are those too.)

http://hsov.org/

https://www.petfinder.com/search/dog...d%5B0%5D=OH177

The woman I spoke to told me they have about 75 dogs but capacity for 50-- not all are on Petfinder. I stumbled across them through a rescue organization and worked with the coordinator at the shelter directly. They allow you to foster for 3 weeks before adopting. The coordinator spent a lot of time with me, sent me videos, tested the dog on stairs for mobility issues as it has a limp, tested the animals extensively with cats and other dogs and gave a very accurate picture what to expect. Though we were unable to meet the dog in person, there have been no major surprises. I got exactly what she told me and so far we are very happy.

They have a great FB page as well that they keep updated. I have tried to donate some of their items on their Amazon list as they are clearly caring individuals who are struggling to keep up with the overpopulation of pets. Please feel free to PM me for more information about contacting them. I would love to be able to help some of these pups and it sounds like some C-D posters are having trouble.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2018, 10:49 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,614,777 times
Thanks!

I have no problem with taking a road trip several states over if the folks do out-of-state adoptions and are honest. I'll look into that.

Old 03-21-2018, 10:51 AM

170 posts, read 121,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
Thanks!

I have no problem with taking a road trip several states over if the folks do out-of-state adoptions and are honest. I'll look into that.
We had tried three rescues before we ran across these people. Reach Out Rescue was great and they had some of these dogs on their site. I think they are really doing their very best with few resources. PM me if you see a dog you like and want to contact the dog adoption person directly.

Old 03-21-2018, 04:00 PM

3,248 posts, read 2,458,386 times
This thread confirms something I have long suspected.

Here the OP gives actionable, helpful information on a real live place to get a dog when many have complained they were having barriers to adoption. I checked the website and FB. There are lots of nice dogs available that aren't pitbulls. The organization seems very legit. Only ONE PERSON responds.

Down forum there is a thread pages upon pages long where that OP concludes that the only logical choice is to go to a breeder because he/she can't find a rescue that will give her a mixed bred lab type dog. And in that thread, others posted more actionable, helpful information about dogs in that OP's area. Yet, not good enough. A breeder it shall be.

I think this forum is stacked with people who have a very specific agenda that purebred (inbred) dogs are the only way to go because shelter dogs aren't available. Well, there you go! A shelter full of dogs! They do out of state adoptions too. But crickets on this thread.

Very interesting the (lack of) responses.

Old 03-21-2018, 04:48 PM

10,363 posts, read 7,995,858 times
Quote:
Thanks!

The Nebraska Humane Society here in Omaha also has adoptable dogs which are not pit bulls, and the driving distance would be shorter for you. I'd call them first to make sure they don't have any issues with adopting to someone out of state, but I doubt they would (especially since Council Bluffs, IA sits right next door). Nebraska Humane Society - Nebraska Humane Society

Good luck finding your new best friend!

Old 03-21-2018, 05:53 PM

2,333 posts, read 2,001,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
. . .others posted more actionable, helpful information about dogs in that OP's area. Yet, not good enough. A breeder it shall be.

I think this forum is stacked with people who have a very specific agenda that purebred (inbred) dogs are the only way to go because shelter dogs aren't available. Well, there you go! A shelter full of dogs! They do out of state adoptions too. But crickets on this thread.

You know, I do agree about the purebred thing. But I don't think boycotting those who breed for AKC standards is the answer, either. So, I'm not chaffed if somebody decides to check out the breeders. Based on their comments, we can be pretty sure they've already checked out the rescues.

I do like what kickingthebricks has done here, and this rescue experience sounds like one of the good ones. To be fair, we all know that it's not all the rescues that are playing the "interview prospective owners to death" game. But plenty are, and it can seem pretty daunting to some folks.

I don't know about where you are, but I don't see shelters "full of dogs" much any more. Around here, most of the dogs are gone within a week. Yeah, sure, then they get another shipment in, so technically they are full, but it isn't really the same, is it? I don't think it is. I remember years ago walking through pounds and knowing that 90% or more of the dogs would be gone within a couple of weeks - but not to homes. OTOH, nobody would want 95% of those dogs - they were sick or had issues. Sad, but the way it was. There are fewer shelters where that is true any more. And that number is shrinking.

Like I said about Memphis in the other thread - there are still a couple in that area. I know of one in KY too. But now a lot of their dogs that are considered adoptable are right out their doors as soon as they've been through the legal quarantine period.

Which is all to say, if somebody wants to go the breeder route, its ok with me. Even the backyard mutts. The only thing I hate to see are the puppy mills. I seriously believe we are doing other people and dogs a disservice by guilting them into thinking they should prefer rescues over breeders. I think their focus should be on finding a dog that fits.

Old 03-21-2018, 07:26 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,062,612 times
The five dogs I have had as an adult have all been from rescues or shelters in Colorado. I have never had an issue with finding or adopting a pup here but I have also kept an open mind as to what dog was going to be part of my life and try to see who speaks to my heart best.

If someone's circumstances mean they purchase a dog from a breeder or sadly even from a puppy mill, I can only hope that the pup is loved, cared for and never given up and in that another dog has a great life. Life with a dog is better for everyone, so how someone gets doesn't matter as much as getting there.

Old 03-21-2018, 08:08 PM

10,363 posts, read 7,995,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
Not really. The first post in the other thread is asking a question. The first post in this thread is merely presenting information. A post which asks a question is much more likely to prompt a discussion than one which merely presents information.

I would expect a thread titled “Why are grocery store tomatoes so tasteless?” to garner many more responses than a thread titled “Here’s a store that sells good tomatoes.” The first thread invites speculation, while the second does not.

Old 03-21-2018, 08:09 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,614,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
The Nebraska Humane Society here in Omaha also has adoptable dogs which are not pit bulls, and the driving distance would be shorter for you. I'd call them first to make sure they don't have any issues with adopting to someone out of state, but I doubt they would (especially since Council Bluffs, IA sits right next door). Nebraska Humane Society - Nebraska Humane Society

Good luck finding your new best friend!
I'll have to see if they do out-of-state adoptions, but you're right: it's about a 90-minute drive over there.

It's not that far to MN or IL, either.

Thanks for the well wishes!

Old 03-21-2018, 08:33 PM

1,201 posts, read 804,802 times
Quote:
I'll have to see if they do out-of-state adoptions, but you're right: it's about a 90-minute drive over there.

It's not that far to MN or IL, either.

Thanks for the well wishes!
So reading the bios of the first handful of non-bloodsport dogs available, every one of them has issues/conditions for their adoption (no children, no other dogs, a nuisance barker that can’t go to anyone in attached housing). At first glance it appears to be a good selection until you start reading the bios, then it’s “pass”, “pass”, “next”.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs