Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2018, 01:00 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,888,047 times

Advertisements

Our dog is 13--min schnauzer
Since end of Feb she has had recurrent bouts of loose stools and diarrhea---
Sometimes some small throw ups--but problems is with the back end really
She was taking sucralfate before Christmas for stomach issues--no appetite, losing weight--
Had X-ray and ultrasound
No tumors, no issues w/liver or pancreas--
The vet who did the ultrasound and found nothing said it was likely ulcers and RX the sucralfate and took her off all other meds...

She has taken Ursiodiol for raised liver enzymes level for a year or more and those are about normal now
The sucralfate worked--appetite came back--she was eating well--and back on regular diet after about 3 weeks
During this time she didn't have any issues w/loose stools

After March we tried to wean her off the Carafate (TX vet put her on that but same med really) but her appetite would kind of drop off--so would start it back
She also started w/bouts of diarrhea--vet RX Metronidazole and another antibiotic first time--
She would take it for about 5 days and stools go back to normal
During this time we also had to transition her to new canned food--
Thought that could have been part of stool issue even though tried to transition slowly

The brand she was eating Zignature Venison was unavailable because mfg couldn't get protein
That was problem that maybe contributed to loose stools

For past 2 wks or so she has been on new food w/o any gastric issues
Took her off the Carafate Saturday--just one dose in AM
She went to groomers and didn't eat until after she came back about 1
No Carafate Sat night--but she had couple of stools that were softer than normal during day
No Carafate at all Sunday--appetite was ok--stools were both normal and a little soft
But today she has normal stool when she went out in AM--almost too firm
Ate her breakfast
Then on walk afterwards had soft serve consistency one
Had another softer one w/some mucus after walk about 1130
Then about 12 had episode of squirting stool
Gave her 1/4 tab of Metro and called the vet--they take off 12-2 so she will call back after 2

This is probably the 3rd or 4th bouts of this type of gastric problem she has had since end of Feb

She get a monthly RX dose of heart/worm meds
She takes Ursiodiol for her liver in AM usually w/breakfast
When she was taking Carafate she would take it first then have to wait 2 hrs for breakfast/Ursodiol
And take Carafate about 8PM--after eating at 6...

her diet--she is poultry allergic
Zignature dry --Venison--has been on this for over a year
Was on Zignature canned venison as well but that is not available since early March--eaked out cans I had trying to get her used to new food...
Merrick canned Texas Beef tips--has eaten this since before Christmas
Gets boiled hamburger 7 or 10% fat--drained and rinsed---as topper--

The new canned food added over 3 wks ago is Wellness Venison/Salmon stew
Give her 1/4 c dry food soaked in hot water--mix in big tablespoon of both canned foods usually and top w/hamburger
She eats maybe 3/4 cup-1 cup AM/PM but the wet food has swollen so takes up more room than plain dry

She doesn't get any treats

I don't know if taking her off the Carafate--could have upset her system
If she could have picked something up at the groomer's
Or if there could be something in her food that is giving her these recurring bouts of loose stools
I don't see how it could be worms since she has had monthly RX and taken Metro several times since March for 4-5 days at a time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2018, 04:10 PM

13,927 posts, read 39,306,840 times
Could be a side effect of the meds ... Talk to the Vet!

Old 05-07-2018, 04:31 PM

5,714 posts, read 4,294,072 times
Ask your vet about Tylosin

Old 05-07-2018, 05:42 PM

2,333 posts, read 2,000,975 times
My dogs have always had occasional loose stools. Once or twice a week, I don't worry. Even three times a week. They also occasionally tighten up pretty hard - often after chewing bones. All that calcium and bone meal tend to tighten things up dramatically, but it gets pooped out, and no problem.

Here are a couple of things about your situation that concern me though. You don't mention what I consider to be the basics. Other than age - and your schnauzer is old. So, basics: exercise? Is the dog getting regular runs? Or even walks? How is the energy level? Exercise is a BIG aid to digestion.

Probiotics? Have you tried any? I just go to my local chain pharm and buy their store brand with the largest number of different cultures. But even one or two culture probiotics can be a big help. A week or two should be all you need. You can even buy dog-specific probiotics these days. They have a slightly different bacterial mix.

Basic dietary diarrhea aids, like pumpkin. Have you tried that? They may be too little, too late for you, but otoh, they might help.

Old 05-07-2018, 06:22 PM

She doesnt like pumpkin but I have used it before
We usually go for walk in AM
Half mile to mile
But her energy level has not been great lately
Today we turned back early
I have used probiotics before
Can add them in
I know they are good

Vet said it could be stress from going to groomers
Some dogs get upset stomach from nerves
Put her back on carafate
AM/PM Metro

What is Tylosin ?

Old 05-07-2018, 06:34 PM

Dont think she can take that med
Causes liver enzymes to go up falsely
She has had raised levels over last two yrs
Finely got them down

Old 05-07-2018, 07:14 PM

5,714 posts, read 4,294,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
She doesnt like pumpkin but I have used it before
We usually go for walk in AM
Half mile to mile
But her energy level has not been great lately
Today we turned back early
I have used probiotics before
Can add them in
I know they are good

Vet said it could be stress from going to groomers
Some dogs get upset stomach from nerves
Put her back on carafate
AM/PM Metro

What is Tylosin ?
Its an antibiotic that you mix with food. It can help with long term or recurrent diarhhea and bloody stools.

Old 05-08-2018, 07:35 AM

2,373 posts, read 1,915,651 times
Has she been checked for pancreatitis?

Old 05-09-2018, 03:03 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,764,588 times
You might ask the vet about doggy pepsid (forget the name) or some other antacid. Once I got my corgi on it and kept him on it, it cleared up his recurring intestinal problems.

Old 05-09-2018, 03:13 PM

296 posts, read 266,042 times
You can put a k9 on Pepcid, 1/2 a tab, they only come in one dose size I think.
I might be missing something but what was the actual diagnosis?

One option, and it's not cheap but I did it for all three of my K9s is the Hemopet food sensitivity screening. I will place the link below but will say that the test is science based, peer reviewed and very comprehensive. My parents had a papillion who was itching like mad, vet put her on antihistamines, nothing, poor dog was chewing her fur off. Had my dad get the Hemopet kit and boom...she had sensitivities to some foods. Diet change, dog is a different animal.

Hemopet Canine Blood Bank, Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory & Greyhound Rescue, Dr. Dodds
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs