Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 02:34 PM

827 posts, read 3,095,191 times

Advertisements

My husband and I want to adopt a dog. I definitely want to go the rescue route. I currently have 3 indoor cats (ages 9, 8 and 3.5 years (young cat is crazy!!) which I rescued. I also plan on having a child down the road. I personally would rather adopt a retired racedog Greyhound and my husband would like to adopt an Italian Greyhound b/c he fell in love with the Italian Greyhound and he feels that Italian Greyhound would not be as messy as a larger dog (e.g. hair on the couch and he feels a smaller dog can be trained to use a doggy litterbox and not have to go outside in our muddy area backyard). We have over a 1/4 acre of land but the problem is my backyard is on a deep slope and in the slope, there is no grass b/c there is no sunlight in that area. Also, I have a 4 foot chainlink fence right now which surrounds my entire yard and front yard but there is no area to actually close the gate off in the front yard. In general, would a greyhound jump a 4 foot fence? I know they are fast animals. I am hoping one day down the road to get a 6 foot fence but right now, I don't have the $$ to do so. I guess my questions are, do greyhounds hunt cats? Also, as I asked before, would they be able to jump a 4 foot fence? AND if anyone knows of a greyhound rescue or italian greyhound rescue that you have or know someone who has had good experience with, please let me know the name. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2010, 08:42 PM

592 posts, read 1,814,549 times
I'm going to put my two cents in, but I'm certainly not an expert. I do know that there definitely is a LI Greyhound Rescue group (along with many other greyhound rescue groups throughout the US) and I would imagine you can find it either in the phone book or do a search on the web for it.

If I could rescue one myself, I would, but have to have a much smaller dog right now. Because I do wish I could rescue one I am interested in them, though. I've talked to people who have done it and all I ever hear is how wonderful they are. All I've ever observed is how beautifully they walk on a leash. And lastly, and ironically, from what I've heard and read about the rescued ones is that they ARE NOT active dogs at all! Yes, they'll run on a track because they're trained to, but get a retired one in your home (and they are usually still very young) and you'd better make room on your sofa and bed for him/her.

Best of luck with your soon to be pet!

Old 03-04-2010, 09:05 PM

734 posts, read 1,636,616 times
Judi is right. Retired greys are couch potatoes. However, I know alot of rescues that don't recommend having them with cats. Some are great, but some are not. The best thing to do is search on PetFinder.com and see what the rescues have. These foster people know the dogs and can guide you to one that will fit in your household. If a big grey is not for you now, then keep searching on that site as there are rescue groups for every breed and most will travel to meet you if you fit their criteria for a good home. Also, check at your local PetSmart and PetCo stores as they have adoption week ends and I know the one out here in Suffolk has greys a few week-ends a month.
Good luck!

Old 03-05-2010, 07:57 AM

827 posts, read 3,095,191 times
Thank you so much for your help. I really appreciate it. I will search the net and petfinder to see what I can come up with. I really would like a retired race dog but my husband is really not too keen about having such a large dog on his sofa. LOL...we recently purchased new furniture...but I told him to just wait until we have a child...I can only imagine the furniture will get ruined anyway (so I hear). He also isn't keen on getting a large dog b/c we are out of the house for about 8 hours a day and he's worried about it having to go out, etc. He feels we can litter train a smaller dog. Hmm...we'll see what happens. Anyhoo, thank you both for all your good info.

Old 03-05-2010, 03:58 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,158,205 times
I got in touch with someone who rescued four greyhounds, has a mastiff pup and four cats
Trying to figure out how to put you in touch with her. Once I figure it out, I will send you a DM.

Old 03-05-2010, 04:07 PM
GPC

1,308 posts, read 3,413,930 times
Maybe this website will help you.

Welcome to Long Island GreyHound Transfer, a Long Island Based Non-Profit, 501(c)3 all Volunteer Organization!. . . . . . . . .

Old 03-05-2010, 05:03 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,944,603 times
Greyhound rescues generally know their dogs' characteristics and cat-test each one. They're LOVELY dogs - very sweet and just searching for the perfect couch on which to crash.

Old 03-05-2010, 05:13 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,665,293 times
Yes, if you go through a rescue, they can usually tell you if the dog can be homed with cats.

Old 03-05-2010, 05:46 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,032,749 times
greyhounds they ARE sight hounds and as such, are prone to chase critters running from them......

that said, i'm sure there are a number of them in rescue who would be just FINE with kitties in the house.....

and italian greyhounds are BUNDLES of energy.... to the best of my knowledge.... i am certainly no expert, but the few that i have come in contact with were absolutely WIRED......

a retired greyhound is really not THAT large a dog as far as shedding, etc. is concerned......

Old 03-05-2010, 08:19 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,158,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIgirl74 View Post
Thank you so much for your help. I really appreciate it. I will search the net and petfinder to see what I can come up with. I really would like a retired race dog but my husband is really not too keen about having such a large dog on his sofa. LOL...we recently purchased new furniture...but I told him to just wait until we have a child...I can only imagine the furniture will get ruined anyway (so I hear). He also isn't keen on getting a large dog b/c we are out of the house for about 8 hours a day and he's worried about it having to go out, etc. He feels we can litter train a smaller dog. Hmm...we'll see what happens. Anyhoo, thank you both for all your good info.

As promised, I sent you a DM with details on how to get in touch with someone who has personal experience with retired greyhound adoption, including living with cats
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs