Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2018, 12:43 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,655,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by petsandgardens View Post
Very sorry for the loss of Paisley.

Our vet and staff doesn't say 'euthanize' put last time we were talking about an pet on last legs they said they were there 'if you want us to help you with that'.
Yeah, I probably used a harsh term because I don't know another way of putting it that comes out right, but they were *not* leading me to that decision at all. I understand but sometimes a little medical guidance to push me might be nice. But I totally get it from their point of view.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2018, 01:59 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,776,846 times
I'm so sorry you lost Paisley. It's always so tough. May happy memories sustain you as you navigate the new normal.

Regarding the PTS situation with vets . . . my current dog was having issues which I'll spare you. The vets (she saw four while trying to solve the problem) told me how many options there were for "fixing" the issue. As we tried each one and didn't have success, they'd say "now we have two options left". Then it became one option left. And then it worked! So she's still here, for now.

It gave me the opportunity to gradually accustom myself to what might be inevitable. Of course, I know that if what we're doing now ceases to work, well, we're out of options. But at least I've had the chance to prepare, as much as anyone can prepare themselves.

In an urgent situation, I realize there is no gradual way to handle this. But I've had vets use the "out of options" term before. That seems to be their way to broach the subject of PTS without actually saying the word.

Old 06-27-2018, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movinon View Post
I'm so sorry you lost Paisley. It's always so tough. May happy memories sustain you as you navigate the new normal.

Regarding the PTS situation with vets . . . my current dog was having issues which I'll spare you. The vets (she saw four while trying to solve the problem) told me how many options there were for "fixing" the issue. As we tried each one and didn't have success, they'd say "now we have two options left". Then it became one option left. And then it worked! So she's still here, for now.

It gave me the opportunity to gradually accustom myself to what might be inevitable. Of course, I know that if what we're doing now ceases to work, well, we're out of options. But at least I've had the chance to prepare, as much as anyone can prepare themselves.

In an urgent situation, I realize there is no gradual way to handle this. But I've had vets use the "out of options" term before. That seems to be their way to broach the subject of PTS without actually saying the word.
Yes, that's true. I don't think I ever go the "out of options" phrase. They kept telling me all the things that could be done with the caveat of "however, she is about 18 years old, so....." It was definitely odd. Or maybe I just wasn't hearing it.

It's so hard walking around the house without her presence. The worst is looking at her dog bed and her stuff.

Old 06-27-2018, 09:19 PM

5,710 posts, read 4,280,363 times
I don't think its a vet's place to bring up euthanasia any more than it's a doctors place to bring up assisted suicide unless you ask. Every dog owner knows the option is there. Their role is to do whatever they can to offer information and treatnment to preserve health and prolong life as long as the owner wants. Its the owner's job to bring up that subject.

I'm sorry you had to choose that option, its so heartbreaking. My old boy just went 3 days without hardly moving, eating or drinking, and it looked like the end. I decided the next day was probably his time and then he got up and started eating drinking and walking again. He's still here, thankfully, driving me insane with his 10 PM pacing and panting.

Old 06-27-2018, 09:26 PM

129 posts, read 101,745 times
My Yorkie turned 16 yesterday. He has cataracts so while he can see blurry objects, he cannot tell who or what it is until he smells it. My wife is his seeing eye and service person. When she is gone he cries for her. He never hears her come home and when he does, he walks over to her to smell and then goes nuts when he recognizes her scent.

He is a part of our family and eats when we eat and watches TV when we do. We have put stairs next to the couch and beds so he can climb up and down. We have had to keep night lights on so that he could find his way to the doggie door at night. Sometime he gets confused and tries to exit a room going to the hinge side of the door rather than where it is open so we have to direct him. He sleeps a lot more and has Colitis so his tummy hurts him sometimes and will go a day without eating but be fine the next day.

Then again we are in our late 60s so we are all aging together. I remember telling a women in her 70's to get a dog because she was lonely. Her husband had died a few years earlier and her only child moved far away for a job. She said she likes dogs but did not think she could handle it when the dog died. I told her that at her age, the dog has more to worry about than she does. She was laughing out loud as I was too because it was both funny and true.

Old 06-28-2018, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post

I'm sorry you had to choose that option, its so heartbreaking. My old boy just went 3 days without hardly moving, eating or drinking, and it looked like the end. I decided the next day was probably his time and then he got up and started eating drinking and walking again. He's still here, thankfully, driving me insane with his 10 PM pacing and panting.
This is what we were going through. A few good days that kept me saying "Oh, she's having some quality of life, just old" and then, maybe 3-4 days of very little appetite and lethargy. My son was having a tough time during the decision process yesterday. He kept saying "but she seemed so perky earlier in the week."

I told the vet that after have to make the decision for 4 animals, I just wanted to have one go peacefully during sleep and I thought I would get it with this one since she was 18. My vet said that she had owned many dogs for almost 40 years and NOT ONCE did she ever have one go in their sleep at home, which is what she had always hoped for too.

Old 10-07-2018, 09:23 AM

5,710 posts, read 4,280,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
I don't think its a vet's place to bring up euthanasia any more than it's a doctors place to bring up assisted suicide unless you ask. Every dog owner knows the option is there. Their role is to do whatever they can to offer information and treatnment to preserve health and prolong life as long as the owner wants. Its the owner's job to bring up that subject.

I finally had to let my baby go, he lost the use of his rear legs and was not a happy camper anymore....15 years and 1 month together, the house feels like a tomb without him.

Everything I used to do that would bring him to my side, and now nothing.

putting socks on
tying shoes
snapping or zipping a jacket
brushing teeth (you're leaving me, arent you?)
opening the fridge

opening the door
a million more....now just silence...and then the sound of me crying

Last edited by Deserterer; 10-07-2018 at 09:53 AM..

Old 10-07-2018, 10:30 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,740,718 times
My 20 -year old pit mix is in her last months and all we can do is make sure she's comfortable. She's deaf, sleeps about 20 hours a day, but still runs off to explores the neighborhood if I forget and leave the door open. She's so thin she looks emaciated but everyone in the hood knows her. Every day is a gift.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs