Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 01:04 PM

1,424 posts, read 5,338,396 times

Advertisements

For the second time, my dog yesterday captured a toad. She carried it around, occasionally would drop it and shake her head (apparently it tastes terrible), but then found and picked it up again and over and over and over. She was obsessed. She started foaming at the mouth and I was sternly saying "leave it" but she completely ignored me. I went into the house and got a piece of steak. No way did she care. She was crazed with obsession for this toad. I think the only reason I captured her is that she started to feel so sick, she paused for just a minute and I grabbed her.

I brought her in and she threw up. I put her in her crate, trying to keep her quiet so I could observe her. She pawed at her face, shook her head....meanwhile I am googling "symptoms poison frog" and that's what she was doing. I called the emergency clinic during which time the dog vomited again. The girl said "there are toxic toads but they're not native to this area...". At that point, I lost confidence in that clinic since I had already read that these toads are invasive and migrating (people on this board have also shared with me).

She threw up a third time and then settled down. I crated her and slept on the couch so I could detect any problems, such as a seizure. She was sleeping soundly with regular breathing, no more foaming, etc. But I was on pins and needles hoping that she didn't start seizing.

I don't know what to do. These toads come out at night and although my dog knows "leave it," she will not listen when she's obsessed with a small animal, like a squirrel or a toad. And now she is fixated on hunting for toads. You would think she would learn that TOAD = SICK.

Any advice? She loves her fenced in yard and I hate to take away her ability to hang there in the evenings. I even tried to lure her with the laser light (which I only use when absolutely desperate because I don't want her to develop a light fixation). But neither steak nor the light could stop her from the hunt. (She's part sighthound and incredibly stimulated by small prey.)

Any advice about how to prevent her from catching those darned things?

Next time I will rinse her mouth out sideways with H2O, but the problem is CATCHING HER when she's on the hunt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2010, 01:12 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,040,976 times
I hope someone can give you advice. All I can do is tell you that you're not alone.

We don't have any issue with toads, but it seems that my backyard has become the zoo for dead and dying animals. Artie *found* a half-dead chipmunk a couple of weeks ago. This past weekend, he was hovering over a tiny black mouse (last time I saw a mouse it was IN HIS MOUTH so this was actually better). There have been many instances of dead or dying adult or baby birds in my backyard. I wonder what's going on!

So, I know how you feel -- every time I let Artie out in the backyard, I wonder what's going on. If he's barking, I run out to see what animal he could be barking at. If he's quiet -- it's just like a kid -- then I'm worried that he's into some *worse* trouble.

Although he tries, he's never caught a squirrel. Miracle!

I'm looking forward to winter if only because there are fewer critters for Artie to prey on.

Old 06-21-2010, 01:20 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,921,845 times
My Corgi will do the same thing. The things he grabs while on a walk are unbelievable. He will drop it when I say, but it's hard to always try and keep an eye on him the entire walk. Because he has an obsession with eating things I won't leave him outside alone at all. Not even for a minute. All it takes is a second to get a hold of something that can be potently dangerous. Your lucky she threw up.

Old 06-21-2010, 01:21 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,784,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by didee View Post
For the second time, my dog yesterday captured a toad. She carried it around, occasionally would drop it and shake her head (apparently it tastes terrible), but then found and picked it up again and over and over and over. She was obsessed. She started foaming at the mouth and I was sternly saying "leave it" but she completely ignored me. I went into the house and got a piece of steak. No way did she care. She was crazed with obsession for this toad. I think the only reason I captured her is that she started to feel so sick, she paused for just a minute and I grabbed her.

I brought her in and she threw up. I put her in her crate, trying to keep her quiet so I could observe her. She pawed at her face, shook her head....meanwhile I am googling "symptoms poison frog" and that's what she was doing. I called the emergency clinic during which time the dog vomited again. The girl said "there are toxic toads but they're not native to this area...". At that point, I lost confidence in that clinic since I had already read that these toads are invasive and migrating (people on this board have also shared with me).

She threw up a third time and then settled down. I crated her and slept on the couch so I could detect any problems, such as a seizure. She was sleeping soundly with regular breathing, no more foaming, etc. But I was on pins and needles hoping that she didn't start seizing.

I don't know what to do. These toads come out at night and although my dog knows "leave it," she will not listen when she's obsessed with a small animal, like a squirrel or a toad. And now she is fixated on hunting for toads. You would think she would learn that TOAD = SICK.

Any advice? She loves her fenced in yard and I hate to take away her ability to hang there in the evenings. I even tried to lure her with the laser light (which I only use when absolutely desperate because I don't want her to develop a light fixation). But neither steak nor the light could stop her from the hunt. (She's part sighthound and incredibly stimulated by small prey.)

Any advice about how to prevent her from catching those darned things?

Next time I will rinse her mouth out sideways with H2O, but the problem is CATCHING HER when she's on the hunt.
She may have learned her lesson. The toads evolved that venom to teach dog-like creatures not to do that... I have a retriever that wants nothing to do with toads anymore after a similar episode in his first year.

Old 06-21-2010, 01:27 PM

1,424 posts, read 5,338,396 times
jimb, how many times did your retriever "get" the toad before he learned to leave it? My girl doesn't seem to be deterred by the venom. The first thing she did today is go outside and start hunting...

Old 06-21-2010, 01:44 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,094,032 times
This can be deadly for your dog depending on where you live , the state I mean . The southern states have a toad called a bufo toad and the poison they emit or secrete rather is deadly and can kill a dog in a matter of hours . I would discourage my dog by putting her on a leash when you take her out , I would not in your case let her out with out a leash due to the fact that she has already caught a toad and it does not bother her which means she probably would not know the difference when she got a hold of a bufo toad or frog . i would be very careful .

Old 06-21-2010, 01:45 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,094,032 times
Welcome to Panama Guide, anonymous
Monday, June 21 2010 @ 03:44 PM EDT
http://www.panama-guide.com/Openx/www/images/467a070785e0ae409b3773677b819c3b.jpg (broken link)

Bufo marinus - A Frog That Can Kill Your Dog

Wednesday, February 08 2006 @ 08:15 PM EST
Contributed by: Don Winner
Views: 15,696

The practice of “toad-licking” has evolved into an urban legend – that the venom secreted through the skin of some toads cause hallucinations. In fact, the venom has been cultivated for generations to be used for medicinal purposes in human beings. However, the venom is highly toxic to pets. Dogs, which are the most likely pet to come into contact with a toad, have a high probability of dying if untreated. This toad wouldn’t win any awards for beauty; its brown/green skin is usually covered with warts. They grow to be about three to seven inches long, and is very toxic to pets. Because dogs are more curious and extroverted, they tend to be treated for toad poisoning more often. But a dog doesn’t necessarily have to lick or eat a toad to be poisoned. There have been cases where frogs have been attracted to a dog’s water dish and sat along the rim. Enough toxin can be left to make a dog sick.

(Editor's Comment: Bookmark this page. You might need it in a couple of years when Sparky the Wonder Dog eats one of these things, and you're trying to remember what to do...)

What to Look For

If enough toxin is ingested, your pet may have an irregular heartbeat and act strangely, as if in the grip of a hallucination. Call your veterinarian if you observe:

Mouth irritation with foamy salivation
Depression
Weakness
Collapse
Difficulty breathing
Seizures
Fever
Vomiting
Diarrhea

Veterinary Care

An electrocardiogram may be conducted to determine whether your pet has an abnormal heart rhythm. There currently is no way to find the presence of the toxin. Diagnosis is usually based on whether the pet was seen eating a toad, or if toad parts are in the gastrointestinal tract.

If your pet ate or licked a toad, you should flush his mouth with water to remove traces of the toxin. Your veterinarian may give your pet cardiac drugs such as propranolol to combat abnormal heart rhythms. Anxious, frightened or painful pets may need sedatives. Pet's with a high fever may benefit from a cool bath. A hospital stay with intravenous fluids is very likely, with your pet’s heart monitored by an electrocardiograph.

http://www.wildherps.com/species/B.marinus.html

"Bufo marinus was introduced to northern Queensland in 1935 in an attempt to control the population of a type of beetle that was ravaging the sugar cane crops. The toads ignored the cane beetles, but began ravaging everything else in sight instead. They have immense appetites, breed by the zillions, and secrete poisonous gunk that makes them unpalatable to all but a tiny handful of native Australian animals (and dangerous to many). When we went out on wet nights in tropical northeast Queensland, we saw a variety of native frogs, but the cane toads outnumbered them at least 20 to 1. The toad pictured here looks like he's hanging his head in shame at what his species has done to the native wildlife."

Other Names: Cane Toad, Giant Toad, Marine Toad, Spring Chicken (Belize)

----------------------------

Giant Toad - Introduced
Bufo marinus
(click images to enlarge)

Appearance: Giant Toads range in size from 4 - 6 in. (10 - 15.2 cm). Females can weigh up to 3.3 lbs (1.5 kg). Giant Toads are huge brown toads that vary in color between brown and red and may have darker and lighter spots/marblings. Females generally have more patterning that the males. The body tubercles of males are tipped with tiny spines. The distinguishing characteristic of the giant toad is the enlarged parotoid gland. The immense parotoid glands extend far down the sides of the body. These glands secrete highly toxic substances that can poison and even kill dogs and other animals that happen to bite into them.

Habitat: In Florida, Giant Toads can be found associated with urban and agricultural areas. This species breeds in canals, flooded ditches, shallow pools and fish ponds. At night, Giant Toads have been known to congregate around house lights to feed on insects. They will seek shelter beneath ground debris in dry and cold weather. Giant Toads are a highly predacious exotic species that will eat all types of native frogs and toads. This species is skilled at locating all types of food, they have even been known to eat dog food.

Vocalization: The Giant Toad call is a slow, low-pitched trill that has been compared to the sound of exhaust noise from a distant tractor. The largest males tend to have the deepest voices.

Reproduction/Eggs: Breeding depends on the occurrence of rains, but it may occur from early spring to autumn. A single, large female is capable of producing more than 20,000 eggs. The egg strings may float freely but are more often secured to surface or submerged vegetation.

Abundance: The Giant Toad is primarily a native of tropical America. The Florida population probably results from both introductions and pet trade escapes. The Florida Giant Toads are probably of Colombian origin. These toads are abundant in Dade and some areas of Monroe Counties. Giant Toads also occur in lesser numbers in Broward, Glades, Lee, Okeechobee, and Pinellas Counties. For the Florida toads, those in the southern part of the range generally attain a greater size (6 - 7 in.) than those in the northern areas (3 - 4 in.).

Range: Giant Toads range from extreme southern Texas and southern Sonora south to and through the Amazon Basin in South America. Giant Toads are introduced in and around Miami, Florida and Tampa on the Gulf Coast. Giant Toads are also found on Stock Island and Key West.

SE ARMI Index Sites: Everglades National Park, Virgin Islands National Park.

http://cars.er.usgs.gov/herps/Frogs_and_Toads/B_marinus/b_marinus.html

Meet Mr. and Mrs. Giant Toad

The Giant Toad (a.k.a. Marine Toad or Cane Toad) is the largest of the Florida frogs and toads. When this non-native species is threatened, it secretes a highly toxic milky substance from its large parotoid glands in the back of its head. This secretion will burn eyes, may inflame the skin, and can kill cats and dogs if they ingest it.

Originally released in sugar cane fields to help control rats and mice, it now is commonly found in South Florida yards. It breeds year round in standing water, streams, canals and ditches. The call is a low-pitched trill which sounds like an idling diesel engine.

Known scientifically as Bufo marinus, the Cane Toad, Giant Toad, or Marine Toad is native to an area extending from Mexico and Central America to the Amazon Basin.

Florida's first Giant Toad population was established in 1955 by an accidental release at Miami International Airport. Specimens imported by a pet dealer escaped and spread through canals to other areas. Pet dealers deliberately released the toad elsewhere in southeastern Florida in the early 1960s.

Bufo marinus can grow to 9 inches in length and more than 2 pounds in weight. Giant Toads prefer developed areas, where they use man-made canals and ponds for spawning and gather under electric lights to feed on insects. As the Giant Toads are too large and slow to flee predators, they defend themselves by secreting a milky toxin from glands located behind the head. Giant Toads can live for a least 15 years in captivity, and can breed for at least five years in the wild.

Identification

Giant Toads are heavily built, have short legs and no webs between their toes. Adults have a rough warty skin. Their color is tan, dull green or black, with a light underside. They have large glands behind the head which exude a poisonous milky substance when the toads are attacked.

The spawn consists of long double chains of black eggs enclosed in a transparent cover. They develop into tadpoles which form large, slow moving shoals.

Food Habits

Giant Toads are omnivorous. They eat whatever is available. They will eat almost anything they can get a hold of -- small amphibians, reptiles, birds, and mammals. In fact, they eat any animal they can swallow, and cat or dog food -- unlike other amphibians, Giant Toads eat things which do not move so do not leave cat or dog food outside for your pets -- the toads will sit in the bowls and eat it.

Reproduction

Giant Toads breed from June to January, but toads have been found in breeding condition throughout the year. Females produce 8,000 to 50,000 eggs in a clutch and can breed at least twice a year. Giant Toads normally lay eggs in slow moving freshwater streams, but they can also breed in brackish water. Tadpoles hatch in 48 to 72 hours. Depending on the water temperature and food availability, they can complete their development in 16 to 180 days.

Predators

Giant Toads produce poison from glands behind the head. The poison is highly toxic to most animals and produces pain and local inflammation if it contacts the eyes. Most predators are quickly killed after ingesting this substance.

Dogs and cats which bite Giant Toads die within a few hours. Native species of reptiles and mammals are also vulnerable. The eggs and tadpoles of Giant Toads are also poisonous.

Control

Biological control is probably the only practical means of limiting the spread or reducing the number of giant toads. However a recent study found little or no hope of such a control method. Giant toads are often transported in shipments of fruit and other commodities. Until effective control methods are available, quarantine checks and the destruction of any accidental releases of toads are essential to reduce their rate of spread.

The Choice is Up to You

Giant toads are beneficial for the gardener and homeowner in general. They have a huge appetite and eat millions of insects per year. They are poisonous, but only if carelessly handled -- they do not attack humans or other large animals. They do displace native toads and reptiles and will eat other small mammals and birds if they can catch them.

Giant Toads can be removed and disposed of humanely (as recommended by the IFAS Animal Use Approval Committee) by placing them in a plastic container (or bag) in the freezer for three days and then burying the carcasses. If you do not wish to handle the toads, contact a local nuisance animal trapper. At FloridaGardener.com we believe that there seems to be no real need to make an active effort to control Giant Toads as they are more beneficial than harmful in the home yard and garden. However, if the population of toads grows out of control or you believe they may be a threat to your children, pets, or wildlife in your yard, then you may find it necessary to control the population in your yard.

http://www.floridagardener.com/critters/BufoMarinus.htm

Old 06-21-2010, 01:52 PM

848 posts, read 1,953,426 times
At night, my back yard is full of those little devils. Last week I found one during the day.

No more free time in the yard. Period.

Out to potty - ON LEASH. Take a flashlight at night and keep the beam at the dogs nose.

Out to play - on a 30 ft. lead.

There's no way I'm taking a chance with my dog. It's nerve wracking. We don't use the security lights at night anymore because they attract insects, which in turn attract the toads.

Old 06-21-2010, 02:10 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,784,973 times
Quote:
jimb, how many times did your retriever "get" the toad before he learned to leave it? My girl doesn't seem to be deterred by the venom. The first thing she did today is go outside and start hunting...
Well, it sounds like you may have a hard-case who doesn't even want to learn the hard way...

While certainly a single-minded, obsessive, mouthy retriever, it just took one evening of out-of-control, foamy salivation and dry-heaves. He will still chase a fleeing toad and bark if he corners it, but he will not physically touch it and will actually panic a little if a toad turns around and moves towards him.

Old 06-21-2010, 03:41 PM

380 posts, read 963,738 times
Quote:
(She's part sighthound and incredibly stimulated by small prey.)
We are currently waiting (tomorrow) to get a clean bill of health on our 5-year old sight hound who was bitten on the chin by a copperhead just about a week ago.

We, too, have a large, fenced yard and the dogs are at liberty to come and go, 24/7 - that is, they were until last week. Since the copperheads don't tolerate heat very well and it is 94 here at the moment, they are out hunting at night. I'm taking the boys out on leash just before bedtime and then I shut the door to their play yard until morning and daylight.

Nursing a dog through an encounter with a venomous critter, whether snake or toad, is not fun and it is NOT CHEAP!!!!

In your case, you might be able to run a minimum of 24" high, welded wire mesh or hardware cloth around the entire perimeter of your fence. Make sure it goes at least six inches into the ground (use a square faced spade or sod lifter to open a slash in the ground), and that the openings in the wire are no more than 3/4" x 3/4". Toads do burrow under ground but in general not more than an a few inches. Be sure there are no gaps. If you have an exterior gate, overlap the ends so it is secure when closed. It might cost a few bucks, but we've spent almost $1000 returning our dog to health and you won't spend that much on wire.

Wish I could do the same, but snakes can climb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs