Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2018, 11:55 AM

1,758 posts, read 5,508,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
STOCKTON -- An early morning fire in Stockton damaged two buildings in a fourplex on Sunday.

A family was able to escape unharmed, thanks to their 8-month-old pit bull Sasha.

As flames ate away parts of the fourplex on East Yorkshire Drive, Sasha began to bang at the back door.

"I open it and she runs in and starts barking at me like crazy and I was like, 'OK, this is weird. This is not like her,'" owner Nana Chaichanhda said.

Chaichanhda quickly noticed her cousin's building was on fire and quickly raced into the bedroom to grab her 7-month-old daughter she saw Sasha by her.

"She had already had my baby by the diaper and was dragging her off the bed," she told FOX40. "I was like, 'Oh my gosh, what are you doing?'"
Pit Bull Helps Save Family from House Fire, Tried to Carry Baby Outside | FOX40

Old 06-09-2018, 12:00 PM

1,201 posts, read 809,314 times
https://youtu.be/ad3muFUM4r0

LMAO - riiiight! I’m sure that’s just how it happened. As usual with these stories, no witnesses besides the owners. My dogs got up and scrambled me eggs for breakfast this morning, set the table, and made coffee! Call the press! Can’t prove they didn’t do it - I said they did so that’s good enough! Jesus, people are so gullible!

Last edited by OttoR; 06-09-2018 at 12:57 PM..

Old 06-09-2018, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttoR View Post

LMAO - riiiight! I’m sure that’s just how it happened. As usual with these stories, no witnesses besides the owners. My dogs got up and scrambled me eggs for breakfast this morning, set the table, and made coffee! Call the press! Can’t prove they didn’t do it - I said they did so that’s good enough!
I am sure most people, that experience a home fire... first thing on their mind is to tell a "feel good" story about their dog.

Old 06-09-2018, 03:26 PM

5,735 posts, read 4,343,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OttoR View Post

LMAO - riiiight! I’m sure that’s just how it happened. As usual with these stories, no witnesses besides the owners. My dogs got up and scrambled me eggs for breakfast this morning, set the table, and made coffee! Call the press! Can’t prove they didn’t do it - I said they did so that’s good enough! Jesus, people are so gullible!

"Pit bull drags 7 month old baby in diapers off of bed...".....hhmmm, what could go wrong here?

Old 06-09-2018, 04:16 PM

2,084 posts, read 1,617,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
"Pit bull drags 7 month old baby in diapers off of bed...".....hhmmm, what could go wrong here?
Mother dogs instinctively try to save their young puppies from potential danger by carrying them away, using their mouths. It seems to me that the Pit Bull was trying to get the baby out of the home by the only way she could, pulling her away by the diapers. There is nothing wrong with the dog's action in this context. It would be another story if there was no fire, no danger, etc.

Anyone remember the story of Lilly the Pit Bull, who pulled her unconscious owner off the rail tracks (in 2012) when a train was coming? She used her teeth to pull the woman. The woman, who suffered from alcoholism and depression, was fine; Lilly lost a leg. http://https://abcnews.go.com/US/pit...ry?id=16311409

I'm not saying that every Pit Bull or Pit Bull mix is Lassie. But I think that many Pit Bulls have the capacity to protect human family members by physically pulling them from danger.

Old 06-09-2018, 04:46 PM

1,179 posts, read 8,718,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina14 View Post
Mother dogs instinctively try to save their young puppies from potential danger by carrying them away, using their mouths. It seems to me that the Pit Bull was trying to get the baby out of the home by the only way she could, pulling her away by the diapers. There is nothing wrong with the dog's action in this context. It would be another story if there was no fire, no danger, etc.

Anyone remember the story of Lilly the Pit Bull, who pulled her unconscious owner off the rail tracks (in 2012) when a train was coming? She used her teeth to pull the woman. The woman, who suffered from alcoholism and depression, was fine; Lilly lost a leg. http://https://abcnews.go.com/US/pit...ry?id=16311409

I'm not saying that every Pit Bull or Pit Bull mix is Lassie. But I think that many Pit Bulls have the capacity to protect human family members by physically pulling them from danger.
Agreed. I would say most Pit Bulls and dogs in general. It isn't that uncommon for dogs to alert their owners to a house fire and I have heard of dogs trying to pull owners out of danger Pits included but other breeds / mutts too. Dogs are kind of amazing even if we take them for granted.

Old 06-09-2018, 08:58 PM

5,735 posts, read 4,343,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina14 View Post
It seems to me that the Pit Bull was trying to get the baby out of the home by the only way she could, pulling her away by the diapers. There is nothing wrong with the dog's action in this context. It would be another story if there was no fire, no danger, etc. .

You don't see any danger in a dog pulling a baby off of a bed? What if the baby hits the floor? They didn't say she was trying to pick the baby up.

Since we all have opinions, I'll bet the dog was trying to protect the baby from the panicked woman, not trying to save it because of a fire.

Old 06-09-2018, 10:19 PM

Maybe a mod can just delete this thread. I thought it was a nice story to share. The comments are just soooo negative. I should have known better. My mistake.

Old 06-09-2018, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
You don't see any danger in a dog pulling a baby off of a bed? What if the baby hits the floor? They didn't say she was trying to pick the baby up.

Since we all have opinions, I'll bet the dog was trying to protect the baby from the panicked woman, not trying to save it because of a fire.

From the article: "She had already had my baby by the diaper and was dragging her off the bed," she told FOX40. "I was like, 'Oh my gosh, what are you doing?'"

The dog had to get the baby off the bed in order to remove her from the house. The mother said that the dog had the baby by the diaper, not that the dog was about to drop her on the floor. Physically, there would have been only two ways for the dog to remove the baby from a dangerous situation; i.e. the threat of fire approaching the house: (1) jump onto the bed, seize the baby with her teeth, by the diaper, and jump down to the floor, with the diaper (and attached baby) still in her mouth and then run for safety; (2) stand next to the bed (or sit with front legs on the bed and rear on the floor) and use mouth/teeth to grab the child by her diaper and pull the infant off the bed and then continue to carry her (by teeth holding diaper) out of the house if she could. Sorry, but the dog knows no other way to try to remove the child from the approaching fire. It's not like the dog could carry the child in her front legs. When a dog (or cat) carries one of their puppies away from a perceived or actual danger, they carry it by the scruff of its neck. This Pit Bull somehow knew not to grab the infant by the neck, or was able to perceive that grabbing the baby by the diapers would be a more effective and less dangerous hold; presuming the diapers were securely fastened. And I'm certain that the Pit Bull could smell the smoke and fire that was consuming part of the "fourplex" in which they lived; and that was why she grabbed the child and was trying to remove her, not because of any need to protect the baby from the mother.

There was a fire. The dog alerted the mother so that the lady realized the danger; and tried to physically remove the child herself. The dog had been outside, and "banged on the door" until she was let inside, and barked "like crazy". She didn't have to do that; she could have stayed outside and tried to hide or run away from the fire; but she felt a bond of pack and/or family and wanted to warn the woman and remove the child from danger the only way she could.

In short, the dog, being a dog, exhibited a recognizable canine response to the danger posed by fire and smoke to her human family - she alerted the mother by banging on the front door and running in when the woman opened the door, and tried to physically remove the child. This isn't rocket science, dogs have done this before. Why is it so hard to believe that a Pit Bull could do this, especially when the mother witnessed it and has no real reason to fabricate the story?

Old 06-09-2018, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola4 View Post
Maybe a mod can just delete this thread. I thought it was a nice story to share. The comments are just soooo negative. I should have known better. My mistake.

It is a nice story; I love stories of dogs who help or save their owners. Thank you for sharing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs