Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2018, 11:55 AM

1,830 posts, read 6,155,125 times

Advertisements

Rather than leave our 10 mos. old Aussie Cattle Dog, Lola, at home all day in her crate, we brought her along in the car, prepared with water dish, treats, poop bags, etc. She rides pretty well. I felt it was an opportunity to expose her to new experiences and places. First there was road construction (with delays, pilot car). She didn't like the workers at the roadside and barked at them and barked at the car behind use--finally she gave up and settled down. She was left alone in the car for very short periods (AC on and windows up)--she did not like that and yipped when mom and dad disappeared. She got to visit the pet store and came in with us to choose a toy or treat; Lola chose one treat and that's all she wanted. On the way home she had her first visit to a lake shore and chose not to go in but just sample the water. It was pretty successful day trip. It told me we need to work more on heeling with distractions around. How have your car trips and outings been with your dog?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2018, 01:56 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
My dogs travel a lot. They seem to be willing to spend hundreds of hours in a parking lot to get that rare romp on a trail in the woods.

All have been good travelers. Occassionally, a dog has to be trained how to behave in the car, but they catch on quick. It's a big disappointment when car keys get picked up and they aren't allowed to go.

I do not permit my dogs to bark in the car. I don't need the distraction while I am driving, and my opinion of dogs who sit in parking lots, barking non-stop, is not flattering.

I've got a travel trailer, set up to travel with dogs and the dogs love to go camping.

Old 06-28-2018, 07:32 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,590,447 times
My late dog Jazz who was a cattle dog X border collie loved car rides and did great on trips. She was weird in that she would only sit in the back seat, when I had stuff on the back seat and made her sit in the front seat she looked rather ill and did not enjoy the ride. I use to joke that she felt it was just wrong to sit in the front with her chauffer! Instead of driving Miss Daisy I was driving Miss Jazzie.

At an agility event there was a booth where they were selling dog toys and they had baskets of toys on the ground. I was talking to the lady and Jazz was going through the baskets checking out the toys she suddenly grabbed a toy chicken out of one of the baskets and brought it over to me. if she had been human she would have been saying " Can I have this? Please?" She was so cute that yup I bought it for her turns out it made noises like a chicken instead of the usual squeaker and it was one of her favorite toys.

When my late Dash Border Collie X springer spaniel had nasal cancer We were in a fancy pet store passing time while we waited to see the holistic vet around the corner as it was a 2 hr drive so we got there early. He stuck his head in a box that had some sort of crunchy treats and helped himself, I guess he figured what they going to do to me as I have cancer? I of course told the guy that Dash had stolen some treats and paid for them.

Any other time both of those dogs and all the others I have had have behaved in pet stores and do well on car trips.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs