Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2018, 09:31 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times

Advertisements

This is a bit odd.

There is an ad on the radio that starts with a doorbell. When that ad comes on, Pensive barks and runs to the front door. The thing that is odd about it is that she has never lived at a place with a doorbell.

My house in Oregon doesn't have a Doorbell. On this house, there is a doorbell button outside, but it is connected to the phone system and if you press the button, the phone in the kitchen rings ( I can pick up the phone and talk to the person at the front door through a speaker)

I have no idea why Pensive thinks that there is someone at the door. But, by golly, am I ever irritated at the company that runs that ad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2018, 09:42 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
Wow, that's so weird that Pensive goes to the door, without ever having experienced a bell being associated with a door. Very weird.

My dog was rescued, and she did the same thing. There was an advertisement with a door bell when we lived in Redding, CA, where I rescued her, and she'd always bark and go to the door. Pretty funny.

She's not much of a barker, but if someone knocks on the door, she barks her head off and won't listen to my commands saying "Enough." I can get her to go into her crate, so she doesn't jump all over the UPS guy - she barks, but she still loves everyone - but I can't get her to stop barking, unless she gets to say hello to whomever comes to the door. Definitely irritating.

Old 06-28-2018, 10:38 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,956,122 times
If I remember correctly, there was a bell sound used at one of the presidential debates that caused a lot of dogs to bark.

I have a problem with any ads that have telephone rings. I jump up and look for my phone, then realize it's on the TV.

Old 06-29-2018, 05:14 AM

2,333 posts, read 1,999,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
This is a bit odd.

There is an ad on the radio that starts with a doorbell. When that ad comes on, Pensive barks and runs to the front door. The thing that is odd about it is that she has never lived at a place with a doorbell.

My house in Oregon doesn't have a Doorbell. On this house, there is a doorbell button outside, but it is connected to the phone system and if you press the button, the phone in the kitchen rings ( I can pick up the phone and talk to the person at the front door through a speaker)

I have no idea why Pensive thinks that there is someone at the door. But, by golly, am I ever irritated at the company that runs that ad.
That's funny! Great story!

Old 06-29-2018, 08:22 AM

122 posts, read 124,914 times
That’s interesting how she somehow associates the doorbell sound with the door. Wouldn’t you like to know what goes on in their little doggy brains sometimes?

Mine bark at the Lifelock commercials – BEEP “Help, I’ve fallen down and can’t get up.”
Since I can’t predict or replicate this, I can’t train an acceptable behavior. So, I manage it by either redirecting the dogs as soon as I hear the commercial or, if I’m talking, to increase my volume to override the BEEP.
Lifelock has now successfully trained all the humans in my house – whenever I raise my voice volume, all my friends/family look at the TV to see if that damn commercial is on.

Old 06-29-2018, 09:26 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,762,355 times
How funny!

I had a dog that used to bark at the ready beeps that they would give alpine skiers at the start of the race. It would make me crazy when I was watching the Olympics. I can assure you, neither he nor I, had ever been anywhere near the start of a downhill race.

Old 06-29-2018, 02:28 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Trying to figure this out. I have the radio on, but don't pay attention to it. Maybe when the doorbell in the ad rings, I look up at the radio? Something catches my attention, my head turns, Pensive knows nothing is inside the house, so she runs to the front door?

Years ago there used to be an ad with a phone ring that sounded just like my phone, so I'd focus in and look for my phone. I really hated that ad. At least that one didn't bother my dogs. I know why the advertisers do it, but it brasses me off and it guarantees I will never buy their product.

That's funny, Rowan, about your dog barking at the ready bell at the ski races. When that bell rang, did you focus your attention on the tv?

Old 06-29-2018, 06:36 PM

23,306 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiero2 View Post
That's funny! Great story!
One of my parents' dogs would get very attentive and bark at the TV during one specific ad for a dog treat. It was a human in a corny dog costume supposedly telling dogs how great the treat was...in a fake human-barking-like-a-dog voice. This dog didn't twitch an ear for anything else. We used to wonder what gibberish that human might actually be saying to listening dogs.

This story probably belongs in the bird forum, but it has to do with answering the phone when it's not ringing.

An elderly lady I knew owned an African grey parrot. A typically brilliant mimic. She was the second owner of this bird, who could imitate several common analog phone rings perfectly. Annoying for the lady, because she'd jump out of her chair, bathroom, garden outside, or her bed to answer the phone only to find it was the parrot. Maybe the bird was bored and wanted to make her do something entertaining like rush across the house. Knowing this bird, that was probably the case. Anyway, her solution was to teach the parrot to shout "HELLO" when it heard the real phone ring. This way she'd hear the ring, wait for the parrot to say HELLO, and know she really needed to pick up a call.

This same bird distinguished between her leaving the house to get her mail out of the box versus leaving the house for errands. If the bird saw her go out the front door it wouldn't say anything specific. The mailbox was on the front porch. If the bird saw her go out the back door into the garage it would say "goodbye" (in her exact voice) and imitate the sound of the burglar alarm keypad. Once the bird had learned the sound of the alarm and started imitating it, she tried to fool the bird a few times. It always seemed to know when she was actually leaving before she did anything as obvious as picking up car keys, setting the alarm, or opening the garage.

Last edited by Parnassia; 06-29-2018 at 07:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs