Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2018, 12:47 PM

4,175 posts, read 2,575,561 times

Advertisements

I'm following a youtube channel where this guy trains mink, and dogs to be ratters, and work together. I love the ratting videos too. They clean out infestations instead of using traps, or poisons. But this is the breed of dog he is interested in getting. So he posted a compilation of cool videos. Jaw dropping. Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orAGU04T0rc

------------------------------------
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2018, 01:06 PM

Here is a video of a dog that he had working as a ratting team with a mink. Pretty interesting. Good dog, good mink . This little girl is a greyhound mix.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcxBoCyYbOc

------------------------------------

Last edited by mlulu23; 07-12-2018 at 01:52 PM..

Old 07-12-2018, 01:32 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,268,827 times
I've been told my big boy is part malinois and definately has a strong resembelence. He is a mix but while his fur is a mix of brown and black, and short, mom was a non descript heinz48 sort of dog, much smaller than her son. But he's taller than most shepards and both calm and a calming influence to her 'sister', a healer apparently, who barks like a big dog too.

Gumby is one of the best I've ever had, and was one of a set of rescued pups the neighbor had been caring for, and up to him I was afraid of larger dogs, but would take more care with my smaller healer when she goes into yap mode.

He's also smart. He likes to nap and rest by the door and windows. If there is a sound he doesn't make any, but looks at you and draws your attention at the door and/or window with those ears standing straight up. If the noise leaves he gets comfortable on his part of the couch and goes back to sleep, but will hop down and be ready watching the door if they don't. I tell him to bark and soon its gone.

Almost all my dogs have been 'experimental' with a puppy of unknown growth, but he's an amazing winner. He's been a part of the family for nine years and I hope for more. Not many dogs like him and we got a prize. I've had a long ongoing list of Gumby's so it is a name of honor.

Old 07-12-2018, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I've been told my big boy is part malinois and definately has a strong resembelence. He is a mix but while his fur is a mix of brown and black, and short, mom was a non descript heinz48 sort of dog, much smaller than her son. But he's taller than most shepards and both calm and a calming influence to her 'sister', a healer apparently, who barks like a big dog too.

Gumby is one of the best I've ever had, and was one of a set of rescued pups the neighbor had been caring for, and up to him I was afraid of larger dogs, but would take more care with my smaller healer when she goes into yap mode.

He's also smart. He likes to nap and rest by the door and windows. If there is a sound he doesn't make any, but looks at you and draws your attention at the door and/or window with those ears standing straight up. If the noise leaves he gets comfortable on his part of the couch and goes back to sleep, but will hop down and be ready watching the door if they don't. I tell him to bark and soon its gone.

Almost all my dogs have been 'experimental' with a puppy of unknown growth, but he's an amazing winner. He's been a part of the family for nine years and I hope for more. Not many dogs like him and we got a prize. I've had a long ongoing list of Gumby's so it is a name of honor.
They both sound like great dogs. I love the name Gumby from the show, it's cute. I had never heard of the Malinois before this video, but was amazed at their jumping, climbing, and flying through the air. They were doing "impossible" things. They look part german shepard. Although I haven't looked it up yet.

Your guy sounds very protective, and smart. It's good he is the calm sort, and helps his little sister when she needs it. He must look to you to see what your reaction will be with noises, and then takes his lead from you instead of just barking right away. That shows intelligence. What a great find, especially as a rescue. Yap mode, that's funny, lol. But I know what you mean. Her instincts probably tell her that she needs to herd something, anything. It's a compulsion I think .

Old 07-12-2018, 02:51 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,383,130 times
Great now I want a mink...

In any case, I think my first Houla was mixed with a Mal or Terv. Having met some of those dogs, and owning a Houla/pit mix now, I am even more certain about that first dog. IT explains SO much.

Old 07-12-2018, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Great now I want a mink...

In any case, I think my first Houla was mixed with a Mal or Terv. Having met some of those dogs, and owning a Houla/pit mix now, I am even more certain about that first dog. IT explains SO much.
Haha, sorry for being a bad influence. But they are pretty cool. I just started watching his channel a couple of days ago, and got hooked. I had watched other ratting videos with different breeds of dogs before, and liked them. I think minks are like ferrets on steroids, or something . From what I gather they are not all good around people, and they can bite. He had to look specifically for that temperament. And they are very ferocious for their size. But cute as the dickens too. He has another compilation of little minks going after swans, bald eagles, pikes, and other things way bigger than they are. And they don't give up either, very tenacious. So ratting is right up their alley. Both the mink, and the dog seem to enjoy their work. He tries to save some from the mink farms, and show that they have purpose other than being part of someone's coat.

Oh, a Catahoula. I had to look up Houla. Boy, I bet that was a high energy cross. I read that the Mals need about 2 hrs a day of exercise, or they get out of sorts. I first heard of the Catahoula a year, or so ago on C-D. These breeds are probably over my head in terms of what they need. They would most likely be bored to tears at my place, lol. I walk my elderly neighbor's 11yr old Dachshund 3 days a week cuz my neighbor can't, bad knees, etc. It's good for all three of us, and I get my dog fix too. Kind of like "Rent a Dog".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs