Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 09:42 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,462,852 times

Advertisements

I stopped adding up my vet bills long ago....I just don't want to know anymore!

I think you being up such an important point and it's one that is overlooked again and again when people get excited about adding a new little puppy into the family .

A neighbor of mine bought a purebred lapdog 6 years ago. I believe she has been to the vet once since he bought her, he went to my vet since he did not have one of his own. She is not spayed because he was planning to breed her , but so far has never bothered to do the research on how that would "happen". Recently, she's been sick for over a month. She's sneezing non-stop, lost weight and is listless. When I found out about this weeks ago, I implored him to get to my vet pronto. He promised he was going the following day....I checked with my vet and knew he had not done so .

So I saw my neighbor the other day and acted as though I did not know if he went to the vet and asked what the diagnosis was. He replied "oh, I haven't taken her to the vet yet, I've been out of work for a month, so I can't afford it". Long story short, he wasn't happy with the next words that came out of my mouth and he picked up his little dog and he went inside his house and I haven't seen him since .

This is the same dog they dress up in cute little outfits and she's the star of their Christmas cards each year. They were willing to breed her so she could make them money, but they can't find a way to take her to the vet for some antibiotics . Oh and the "out of work" excuse really doesn't fly because she was sick before he was out of work and I know they are still spending money on other things....they could find $50 or $60 bucks for a vet visit if they had to....the dog's health just isn't a priority .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2008, 06:28 PM

402 posts, read 1,016,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I have been fortunate in adopting multiple senior dogs and when they have died (ages 15 and 17), it was a relatively fast downhill, without treatment. I did have high bills for one of my original puppies who, after two months of diagnostic deadends, spent four days in university hospital and was diagnosed with untreatable (rare) liver failure, so the hospital cost a lot, but I had him put down that same week. His brother, at age 12, was attacked by another dog and spent three days in the ER, again, very expensive, but he did recover fully.
I haven't yet had older dogs with multiple ongoing major problems. Just joint medicine, and for the late 17-year-old, monthly joint shots that worked wonders.
It's hard to know when it's time to put a beloved dog down. Some people say "when he's not himself anymore." Sick old animals aren't necessarily in pain, but if they're not eating, or falling down all the time, or incontinent in their beds, or much less active than recently, that would be time. I do think it's reasonable to forego any really expensive treatments for an old dog, especially if the illness is obviously terminal.
I do have my dogs individually cremated and put their ashes with tags in a rock garden.
Best wishes. It so hard to watch them fail, but a terminal illness is certainly a time to put them down, not treat them for cure, especially if you can't afford it (like cancer treatments for an older dog, etc.)
It's the last best way we take care of them. You are not being careless about it.
Getting my dog cremated...what a great idea! I didn't even think about that!

It seems that my dog has become more needy and sleepy as he has aged. Like he has to go to the bathroom 4 to 8 times in a matter of 4hrs. I guess this is normal...it just reminds me that I am getting older as well.

Old 04-02-2008, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimosa View Post
I have an 11 yr old shih ztu that was so healthy and suddenly has been diagnosed with lymphoma in her abdoman and probably intestines. I got lucky with prednisone and she is still lively and with us in remission, but nothing lasts forever. I love her to death, but opted to not do chemo. Doggie chemo is a coverup, not a cure at all. I am happy with my decision and her life is just great right now, so we will deal with this again in a few months. When her day is good so is mine, when her day is bad, I must take 1/2 xanax to be calm. that's how it is with a loved one.

check into ASPCA pet insurance. The plan I have is $100 deductible a year and they pay 80% of expenses up to $1500 per occurance. Really helps with my bills for her right now with the lymphoma and tests. Prednisone is $20/mos so that's nothing, but I have run up $2500 so far in tests this year, from ultrasounds to cancer doctors. Insurance helps alot.
Thanks for the info. All of this exp. and knowledge of so helpful to me that is going thru it for the first time.

I know that I pay for the best...just as I would for myself...I have fired many vets and even payed for 2nd opinions.

Old 04-02-2008, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
I stopped adding up my vet bills long ago....I just don't want to know anymore!

I think you being up such an important point and it's one that is overlooked again and again when people get excited about adding a new little puppy into the family .

A neighbor of mine bought a purebred lapdog 6 years ago. I believe she has been to the vet once since he bought her, he went to my vet since he did not have one of his own. She is not spayed because he was planning to breed her , but so far has never bothered to do the research on how that would "happen". Recently, she's been sick for over a month. She's sneezing non-stop, lost weight and is listless. When I found out about this weeks ago, I implored him to get to my vet pronto. He promised he was going the following day....I checked with my vet and knew he had not done so .

So I saw my neighbor the other day and acted as though I did not know if he went to the vet and asked what the diagnosis was. He replied "oh, I haven't taken her to the vet yet, I've been out of work for a month, so I can't afford it". Long story short, he wasn't happy with the next words that came out of my mouth and he picked up his little dog and he went inside his house and I haven't seen him since .

This is the same dog they dress up in cute little outfits and she's the star of their Christmas cards each year. They were willing to breed her so she could make them money, but they can't find a way to take her to the vet for some antibiotics . Oh and the "out of work" excuse really doesn't fly because she was sick before he was out of work and I know they are still spending money on other things....they could find $50 or $60 bucks for a vet visit if they had to....the dog's health just isn't a priority .
And so to the point, I hope that pple consider that it is a life commitment and financial as well. OUr pets bring us so much so joy in our life and so now they don't fit into our plans? Think long and hard before you decide to bring a pet into your life.

They are cute as a puppy, but make sure that you are well educated before you get one. For example, I need a dog that will fit my lifestyle. I travel a lot and I spend a lot of money on doggie hotels, he needs to be groomed once a month, I need a lap dog not a beagle that needs a lot of activity or a dog that sheds...so many factors.

I have spent my life volunteering and speaking out for animals that it hurts when you know that millions and millions of cats/dogs that are getting killed because of irresponsible choices and becuase pple dont really educate themselves.

So the forum to learn, educate and bring more knowledge, including me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs