Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2018, 08:45 PM

3,187 posts, read 1,509,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiero2 View Post
High value treats vary from dog to dog. One dog will love liver - another won't like it at all. The lesson there is to experiment and see what Dog likes!

As for stuff like cat food, or salty human stuff? Well, in moderate quantities this is typically not a big deal.] It is so not a big deal it is typically not a deal at all.
Yes, very true. I am using a lot of treats as I have a beagle and they are so food motived. (Humans have an estimated five million scent receptors. By comparison, beagles have an estimated 220 million scent receptors). Only Bassett's and Bloodhounds have a tad more. They are lower energy dogs though.

I am worried about weight gain. I thought my pup was too thin at one point but my vet said he was perfect and most pups he sees are too heavy. I just weighed him and he's 4 lbs over ideal now I am getting some good ideas on this thread for natural treats I may be able to dry out in my new convection air fryer.

BTW heiro2, you were one of the posters who gave me some tips on my pups issues on the early neutering thread. You and others were right - My pup had a bad case of "puppy brain" that he is now finally coming out of. He actually responds to the hardest things, "No" and "leave it" now. He just had to reach 8 months old. LOL It had something to do with maturation in my case as I noticed it coincided with his adult fur growing in. I am going to need less treats anyway for training as he finally RESPONDS.

Last edited by motownnative; 08-21-2018 at 09:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2018, 06:51 AM

965 posts, read 939,222 times
We get the free samples of cat food, and it is a favorite for all my dogs. As well as kibble sized pieces of baked chicken. For all the oily messy stuff I keep it in an open baggy in my baggy pants for training, or I use a waiters apron for any of it. I have a few so I can wash them often.

I have a friend who buys the huge plastic jars of puffed cheese balls at costco. She has a lab mix, and they are very high value trading treats for him. She swears it it much easier to clean her hands after that than fish or liver treats

Hotdogs chopped up and baked semi crisp are favorites.
And then there is string cheese - you can hold it in your teeth hanging out of your mouth - helps teach “look at me” and is easy to get to, leaves hands free.
Mine love a pulled string of it, my heeler x in particular.

Old 08-22-2018, 09:05 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,090,712 times
I give cooked broccoli and carrots and the dogs will do anything for them indeed . No salt I just boil it and the dogs go gah gah over it .

Old 08-22-2018, 10:43 AM

1,684 posts, read 3,956,019 times
Default cat treats for dogs

Brat dog loves cat treats. When I still had a kitty his favorite thing was to steal the cat treats - even at the threat of being scratched. He loved aggravating the heck out of her. I said something to the vet and she said - small amounts are okay. I use those as good boy potty treats... Morning after poop walks he gets a pinch of string cheese - I peel it into strings and he sits patiently - challenging for him.

Old 08-22-2018, 11:58 AM

1,830 posts, read 6,155,125 times
Great suggestions, everyone! Thank you! Had forgotten about the wieners. Used them years ago to get my adopted lab mix to ride in the car. It was a gradual, step by step process, but we started out in the back seat of the parked car, engine off, doors open, and I fed him weiner pieces. He eventually LOVED riding in the car even though no more treats every time.

Old 08-22-2018, 12:51 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,748,538 times
Bacon!!!

Old 08-23-2018, 10:40 AM

1,684 posts, read 3,956,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
Bacon!!!
OH YEAH!!! I'd do tricks for bacon!!

Old 08-23-2018, 05:33 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,999,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motownnative View Post
Yes, very true. I am using a lot of treats as I have a beagle and they are so food motived. (Humans have an estimated five million scent receptors. By comparison, beagles have an estimated 220 million scent receptors). Only Bassett's and Bloodhounds have a tad more. They are lower energy dogs though.

I am worried about weight gain. I thought my pup was too thin at one point but my vet said he was perfect and most pups he sees are too heavy. I just weighed him and he's 4 lbs over ideal now I am getting some good ideas on this thread for natural treats I may be able to dry out in my new convection air fryer.

BTW heiro2, you were one of the posters who gave me some tips on my pups issues on the early neutering thread. You and others were right - My pup had a bad case of "puppy brain" that he is now finally coming out of. He actually responds to the hardest things, "No" and "leave it" now. He just had to reach 8 months old. LOL It had something to do with maturation in my case as I noticed it coincided with his adult fur growing in. I am going to need less treats anyway for training as he finally RESPONDS.
Glad to hear it! Excellent!

When my pups get a little thicker in the middle, I just cut back on the amount of dinner they get. I would rather leave room for the snacks, as they get snacks all the time. The mailman leaves snacks, they get snacks when they go in the hardware store - etc! Sometimes I encourage it, as well, like when meeting new people, as my guys have always been a bit shy. They are tons better these days, but still have a definite reserve when meeting strangers.

BTW, I didn't say this in my previous post on this thread, but one thing I do for my dogs is to experiment to see what the DOG thinks is a high-value treat. My taste buds don't really matter - theirs do! Obviously, most people get this without me saying it, but JIC!

Old 08-23-2018, 07:09 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
Yep, you just figure out what they love, and consider that you don't feed them anything bad for them.

I have a rat terrier I adopted at around age 5. She will do anything for food. Her desire for food will change - sometimes she'll do anything for meat, sometimes veggies. But, she will always eat raw food.

There are so many dogs who have thrived under so many different types of conditions and diets, that I think you should be safe just doing what you think is best.

Old 08-24-2018, 08:36 PM

48,532 posts, read 34,851,331 times
And just a reminder that for some dogs it's not food that is the desired treat, but maybe a toy or a ball.

I could NOT get Dante to focus on me or listen in certain situations, like someone at the door, he cared nothing about the food in those cases.... then the ball was introduced and it was the center of his world.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs