Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2018, 01:52 PM

1,201 posts, read 806,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Most reports indicate 20-40% of all dogs are overweight or obese. That's a damn shame.

I love working breeds because I LOVE working with them! I would not own a lab if I didn't want to toss a dummy into a lake for 45 minutes a day. I wouldn't own 3 GSP's if I didn't work on their field stamina, desire to hunt, swim and retrieve.

It keeps me active, keeps them active. The only overweight dog we ever owned was my last Basenji that had an auto-immune issue who could only survive on some some serious meds that also caused weight gain. All of the other dogs- and that's at lease 10 or more, fit as fiddles.

Because we exercised them.

None of my hounds ever developed hip issues or severe arthritis, or any other malady other than old age.

The problem is some people don't view a dog as an animal that by natures design SHOULD be exercising regularly and in most cases vigorously AND with mental stimulation to boot.
Actually https://petobesityprevention.org This is an outrage! And yes, naturally a fat, out of shape,“weekend warrior” dog is highly susceptible to all kinds of injuries with sudden vigorous running and jumping, just as the human equivalent would be. While I walk several miles a day with my dogs in a structured walk, I also like to give them down time to run off leash and play. My dogs, especially the younger, are pretty obsessive compulsive about the ball but I do play Chuck-it regularly. I like to do that because it allows me to do nothing and the dogs to do all the work. I told you I was lazy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2018, 02:14 PM

3,187 posts, read 1,512,303 times
Quote:
You are the one arguing AGAINST exercise because it might 'hurt' the dog. Of course if you own a dog that has been a couch potato and overweight you start slowly. But they should start. And then build to that level, in most cases 'vigorous' is included. Heck that's what humans need! Talk to any physician.

I don't think it's 'snarky' to point out the fact that I keep my dogs in top level shape. That's called being 'responsible'. Conversely if you let your dogs become obese, I call that 'irresponsible'. I don't care whether someone likes it or not, cause it is it what it is.

Oh and you are wrong on leaping- my GSP's will LEAP in the air if a flushed bird is within their grasp! The also leap into the water at speed. I've got a video of Schnitzel leaping vertically 3-4ft in the air looking for a downed bird in waist tall grass- it looked like he was on a damn trampoline, lol.

Good grief.
WOW. Moderation with exercise is now "against" any exercise? How did you get there? BTW, you most definitely were snarky when right out of the gate you said "You wouldn't want to be a dog in my house" WTH??? Do you forget posting that?

I APPLAUD you for the fact your dogs are in top shape. That's not the issue. When I was at the vet recently EVERY dog I saw but one was overweight (not mine BTW). It's a shame! But because I am aware of this issue I posted the "nice" warning that I did; until I was derided for no reason, which is BS.

Your last paragraph: Methinks your bragging again. LOL That's OK. Just own it.

Old 09-06-2018, 02:15 PM

19,821 posts, read 22,716,553 times
Oh we play ball for 1/2 hour straight- it's a 3 way contest to see who get's it, and when one get's it the other two lay chase to dog with the ball. Rip tearing and coursing all over the place.

They get exercise, mental stimulation and I work on recall and retrieve to hand, whoa- it's a daily fun fest!

Old 09-06-2018, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motownnative View Post
WOW. Moderation with exercise is now "against" any exercise? How did you get there? BTW, you most definitely were snarky when right out of the gate you said "You wouldn't want to be a dog in my house" WTH??? Do you forget posting that?

I APPLAUD you for the fact your dogs are in top shape. That's not the issue. When I was at the vet recently EVERY dog I saw but one was overweight (not mine BTW). It's a shame! But because I am aware of this issue I posted the "nice" warning that I did; until I was derided for no reason, which is BS.

Your last paragraph: Methinks your bragging again. LOL That's OK. Just own it.
I do brag about my dogs! They are rock stars! Two pz1 NA's and a pz3. Proven field and damn great dogs. They are an awesome breed and fun as all get out. And ACTIVE.

If the OP wants to teach their dog to catch, fetch, dock-dive.. GREAT! They deserve advice on how to achieve that. I'm a proponent for it. I'm not going to interject an opposing opinion because a few dogs got injured. Why? The vast majority don't.

That's like someone saying to me don't go hunting with the dogs because they might get quilled, tagged by a rattler etc.. Life is full of risks, no?

Old 09-06-2018, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttoR View Post
Actually https://petobesityprevention.org This is an outrage! And yes, naturally a fat, out of shape,“weekend warrior” dog is highly susceptible to all kinds of injuries with sudden vigorous running and jumping, just as the human equivalent would be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OttoR View Post
While I walk several miles a day with my dogs in a structured walk, I also like to give them down time to run off leash and play. My dogs, especially the younger, are pretty obsessive compulsive about the ball but I do play Chuck-it regularly. I like to do that because it allows me to do nothing and the dogs to do all the work. I told you I was lazy!
Yep, glad you mentioned this. This is all I was saying from my very first post. Just a friendly warning about dogs who are more susceptible to injuries. I thought the links were self explanatory and I sure didn't think it was a big deal to post it. We live in the most obese nation in the world and many of the dogs reflect that. Just a few pounds extra on them could spell trouble. Most don't think their dogs are overweight either and it can be a touchy subject even with friends and relatives.

Old 09-06-2018, 02:38 PM

Quote:
I do brag about my dogs! They are rock stars! Two pz1 NA's and a pz3. Proven field and damn great dogs. They are an awesome breed and fun as all get out. And ACTIVE.

If the OP wants to teach their dog to catch, fetch, dock-dive.. GREAT! They deserve advice on how to achieve that. I'm a proponent for it. I'm not going to interject an opposing opinion because a few dogs got injured. Why? The vast majority don't.

That's like someone saying to me don't go hunting with the dogs because they might get quilled, tagged by a rattler etc.. Life is full of risks, no?
Glad you are proud of your beautiful dogs. I am proud of mine too.

A word of caution is NOT an opposing opinion BTW. It's caution and just that. No one knows what condition someones dog is in from a message board post. Pro's even warm up their dogs, etc. and ease into the heavier activities.

Yes, life is full of risks. In fact I am home from work after a visit to urgent care for an unexpected injury of my own or I wouldn't have time to post and argue this. LOL

Old 09-06-2018, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motownnative View Post
Glad you are proud of your beautiful dogs. I am proud of mine too.

A word of caution is NOT an opposing opinion BTW. It's caution and just that. No one knows what condition someones dog is in from a message board post. Pro's even warm up their dogs, etc. and ease into the heavier activities.

Yes, life is full of risks. In fact I am home from work after a visit to urgent care for an unexpected injury of my own or I wouldn't have time to post and argue this. LOL
You didn't give me a 'word of caution'. You responded to a post I made that frankly wasn't even directed to you in the first place.

Look- you quoted my post, highlighting my comment
Quote:
Exercise frequently with intensity!!
with the response
Quote:
"Wow, that's really bad advice to put out on a message board."
You left out the fact that I also said "you keep a dog active and they are less prone to....

Nothing in my statement is dangerous or wrong.

PetMD and every thing I've ever read agrees with me. If someone's dog is sedentary then they should move towards the goal of daily exercise (of course), increasing in intensity towards 30 minutes a day vigorous. Same with humans.

It sounds as if you are saying the same thing with a few caveats but opted to simply elevate your view above someone else's.

Old 09-06-2018, 06:07 PM

Quote:
You didn't give me a 'word of caution'. You responded to a post I made that frankly wasn't even directed to you in the first place.

Look- you quoted my post, highlighting my comment with the response
You left out the fact that I also said "you keep a dog active and they are less prone to....

Nothing in my statement is dangerous or wrong.

PetMD and every thing I've ever read agrees with me. If someone's dog is sedentary then they should move towards the goal of daily exercise (of course), increasing in intensity towards 30 minutes a day vigorous. Same with humans.

It sounds as if you are saying the same thing with a few caveats but opted to simply elevate your view above someone else's.
The word of caution that I was speaking of was in my original post. Somehow it got misconstrued that I was against all exercise. I do get what you are saying here but lots of dogs can't exercise frequently "with intensity" as their owner's work 5 days a week. This is the norm. Everyone I know works except for a few SAHM's.

I am not alone in this feeling. I have a friend who runs our local beagle club who has told me that he has lectured the members till he's blue in the face not to let their beagles jump off the tailgate of their truck's. They are too small to jump down that far and he has witnessed too many injuries. With the big trucks they are making nowadays even people with large dogs are using ramps now. The jump down is way more stressful on the joints and jarring to the spinal cord than the jump up.

He said it's always the same excuse when they break a leg or later come up lame with a back injury or are paralyzed...."But they've done it a 100 times before and were fine"....(SMH) It only takes one bad landing and they will never be the same again. Worst case scenario, a young healthy dog gets put down. It's bad enough accidents happen anyway but this is preventable. Some people are just too stubborn to listen until it's too late.

I am no more of a doomsayer (if people want to think that, I don't care) than he is by making an effort to get people to use some common sense. However, some are not even aware of the consequences and they might listen.

Old 09-06-2018, 06:38 PM

My wife and I work 5 days a week and we make time. That’s the responsibility of a dog owner, especially particular breeds.

I don’t particularly hold the same sentiments with regards to fear of injury. Honestly I can’t. I’m involved in an intensive pastime, the dogs work in often harsh environments and they do get hurt. They’ve run full steam into barbed wire, been quilled by porcupines, hit badger holes at full speed, encountered skunks, raccoons, steep declines, inclines- you name it.

I know eventually one of my dogs will encounter a rattler.

But in the final analysis they live good active lives, they are genuinely excited to work and at the end of the day fulfilled.
I wont let my fear of injury impede their livelihood.

If the OP’s dog develops a fondness for catching balls, sticks even the Goodyear blimp I’m all for it!

Last edited by Threerun; 09-06-2018 at 06:55 PM..

Old 09-06-2018, 06:50 PM

15,649 posts, read 10,410,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Townandcountrygal View Post
My adopted cattle dog mix doesn't want to chase balls or frisbees--what are some ways to teach this?
She also doesn't even try to catch a treat I toss to her and seems clueless as to why I'm doing it--could she have a vision issue?
We've owned 9 dogs over the years and had many foster dogs live with us. Some dogs like to chase balls or frisbees and some don't get it even when their fellow pack members show them the ropes of the game again and again. I'm convinced, based on purely anecdotal evidence, genetics play a big roll in what games and interests some breeds, or mutts, enjoy. Not all dogs enjoy the same games. the trick is discovering the games an individual dog likes to play.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 09-06-2018 at 07:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs