Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2019, 08:59 PM

2,333 posts, read 2,000,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
The OP says in his first post that the dog is a mix. I agree that contacting whoever they got him from, if that's possible, would make a good first step in finding him a suitable home. But the OP doesn't seem to know whether the dog is a Swissy or an Appenzeller, which screams of backyard breeding to me.

The phone # I gave is for an Arizona contact in the second rescue you posted (which I posted in my first response here). Seems like a 5 hour drive each way shouldn't be too hard for the OP.

The couple already has another dog, as mentioned in the first post. An older, smaller dog.

It's of course up to them whether they get another dog, but two working parents with a baby about to enter toddlerhood who don't have well-developed dog handling skills don't need another dog imo. Waiting until the kid's around six years old would be better for both of them if having a dog the child can grow up with is the goal.
Mix - yeah, I skimmed and missed that, and that they already have another dog is a good point. I agree that waiting a few years for the child to grow some would be the better plan.

I know I used the contact links you brought - sorry if you felt I didn't recognize your work there. As far as the rescue goes, tho, I think he would be best both putting a contact in to the national org, AND to the AZ number - at least until he has a solid handle on what's going to happen with the dog.

Although, tbh, another thought, I wouldn't take a Swiss mountain dog or mix to either LV or Apache Junction - which is the Phoenix area. That heat - the dog would have to live indoors in AC, and that just strikes me as wrong. But that's neither here nor there for this topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2019, 09:33 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiero2 View Post

Although, tbh, another thought, I wouldn't take a Swiss mountain dog or mix to either LV or Apache Junction - which is the Phoenix area. That heat - the dog would have to live indoors in AC, and that just strikes me as wrong. But that's neither here nor there for this topic.
Apache Junction is where one of the contact guys lives and probably not where the dog would be living permanently. He's part of that national organization, and chances are the dog would be out of there by the time Phoenix temps kicked into high gear. It's not even clear from the site whether the organizers take dogs in themselves or send them to foster homes. The organization apparently has people in various parts of the country.

Old 01-06-2019, 11:52 PM

2,373 posts, read 1,914,949 times
Hate to say it but your wife needs to rethink her decision making process.

As far as your daughter growing up with him a friend with one tells me their life span is even 6 or 7 years and up to about 10. I guess you checked the full grown weight because it could get pretty high and less manageable.

This friend does walk the dog. It's not about something perfunctory, a chore, a job. It's something one needs to want to do as a part of life. So my friend looks forward to his morning walk and late afternoon walk at about an hour each with his dog. My friend doesn't run, a little fast walk and also they like to go hiking together. So it's already that kind of relationship.

I had a friend several years ago who had a "Nipper" dog as she called him. Can't remember the name of the breed now. There was an accident with her previous dog, she got the Nipper dog, felt so distraught, guilty and grief stricken that she kept putting the Nipper dog in the basement "just for a little while". Go so that he was down there more often than not. I found out about a rescue for that breed from my own breeder, called that rescuer and told her the story. Then I called my friend and put her and the rescuer together. My friend was relieved that the rescuer was kind and understanding and placed the dog with her.

So it does happen. And it can be a good thing.

And better now when the dog is all the more desirable, trainable, adoptable. So do some looking into rescues.

Old 01-07-2019, 07:16 AM

453 posts, read 345,492 times
What happens when he is loose in the house when you are not there? Is he destructive? Is your other dog crated during the night and when you leave?

Old 01-07-2019, 08:20 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,634 posts, read 17,975,706 times
I'm sorry this is happening, OP. I don't know if your wife wanted this dog because of appearance, but she sure picked a dog that's not appropriate in a house.

It sounds like most of this dog's behaviors could be solved living in a home with a doggie door and a large backyard. My grandmother had property on a bay, and a couple large dogs all the time, and a doggie door. Her dogs had virtually no behavior or temperament problems, although she had gotten them always from the "pound" and only asked to be given the next dog to be euthanized.

Best wishes. I would send that dog to breed rescue and make a significant donation, and next time get a dog meant for a pet and not for working on a swiss mountain.

Old 01-07-2019, 10:49 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,053,996 times
I'm going to start with the most important point. It is not the time to add a puppy to the family just as a new human baby is added to the family. OP has a one year old child, just about to enter the high maintenance toddler age. If OP does decide to give up his puppy, it is not a good time to replace the puppy with another dog.

The only behavior problem I am seeing is the house breaking. Personally, I don't see house breaking is a reason to give up a dog. It just means that training process needs to be changed.

Dogs don't adjust and make allowances for size very well. OP has a great big puppy of a high energy rough breed. The dog is going to play with enthusiasm and the neck gripping, even the dragging, is normal play. The problem isn't the rough play, the problem is the difference in size of the dogs. That puppy is just playing like a puppy plays.

Last edited by oregonwoodsmoke; 01-07-2019 at 11:31 AM..

Old 01-07-2019, 11:39 AM

OP, do you own your house? Is it possible to put in a dog door that goes out to a kennel or fenced yard? If you don't want the dog loose in the house, it is possible to confine the pup to a small area inside the house with access to a dog door so the dog can go outside when needed.

Has the dog been checked for a urinary tract infection? That will cause less control of urinating. If the dog has poor control of bowel movements, then try different foods, plus do a worming and test for giardia.

Old 01-07-2019, 11:48 AM

That's a large high energy working breed.... at least part, since it is a mutt with no idea of what else is in there. But at any rate, no matter what the mix, the pup has shown itself to be high energy.

Working breeds need lots of exercise, but if there are time limits, mental exercise can substitute for some of the physical exercise. Teach the pup to play hide and seek with treats or toys. "Find it" is good mental exercise. If the dog has any interest in fetch, that's a good energy burner.

Assign the dog a job and it will make a difference. Wyatt McRiot has the job of collecting up supper dishes, fetching up anything I ask for, and keeping rabbits and crows out of the yard. He's a dog who needs a job and even a simple job meets a deep seated need and makes him more focused

Try to find a play date buddy of the same size and energy level. Your dog should not be playing with smaller dogs nor with any dog that is not tough and rowdy. Your pup is not a suitable dog to turn loose in a dog park unless no one else is there.

Last edited by oregonwoodsmoke; 01-07-2019 at 12:18 PM..

Old 01-07-2019, 12:15 PM

3,187 posts, read 1,509,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unf0rgiven6262 View Post
He will do the drool thing. I will come back and have to literally swab my finger through a puddle to tell if it was just excessive drool or urine. Agree 100% about the routine observation. He used to howl when I put him down for bed (regardless of exercise). Now he realizes I'm not going anywhere and it's bed time. He just lays down and everything seems fine. However, I regularly wake up to him having peed sometime at night. Either way, I feel he would be much much more capable of getting into a good home if I could housebreak him at least.
Yep, the drool is a classic separation anxiety symptom. You see what I was talking about with "puddles". People who haven't experienced this I doubt would believe me that it could be this bad. From what you are saying he IS housebroken though. The accidents seem to be related to stress from being in the crate. You said he doesn't have accidents when loose in the home and will even let you know to go out during the day.

I would just be honest about this problem if you seek to rehome him. My older dog can't be crated either. Ironically he goes in voluntarily and sleeps there but if I shut the door: Massive Freak Out. He doesn't relieve himself like yours but drools and does everything to escape. He is a "Velcro" dog that never leaves my side. Heiro2 mentioned this possibility also with yours. I don't need to crate mine at night or when I leave so it's not an issue for me. I totally understand your need to do this though with a baby in the home.

I can't speak for others, but some negative comments have surely been directed your way because of the baby. Possibly others have had to help rehome many, many dogs through no fault of the dog due to the arrival of a baby. It's an all too common occurrence that could be prevented so I understand that frustration coming from others. I get just as upset when I hear excuses made for irresponsible owners and their vicious dogs as I have had one too many run ins myself in that regard that could also have been prevented. I am just DONE with those excuses and have been quite vocal about that subject.

I wouldn't take anything personally. As I said sometimes things just aren't a good fit. Only you truly know that. There may be ways to work it out if your family is on board. I have a pup that just turned one year old myself. I can assure you, it IS hard even if they have NO behavior issues. I believe you that you have tried and it's a PERSONAL decision if you decide to rehome that I respect.

Old 01-07-2019, 02:36 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
OP, do you own your house? Is it possible to put in a dog door that goes out to a kennel or fenced yard? If you don't want the dog loose in the house, it is possible to confine the pup to a small area inside the house with access to a dog door so the dog can go outside when needed.
Dog doors and toddlers....what could possibly go wrong?

https://www.marthastewart.com/152179...-pros-and-cons
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs