Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2019, 12:55 PM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times

Advertisements

It does not offend me in the least. Dishes get sterilized in the dis washer, any way.

Only people who are generally uncomfortable with animals come up with this stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2019, 11:46 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,211,524 times
Pre canine diabetes diagnosis our dogs were allowed to lick plates that were set down for them. Post diabetes diagnosis no one is allowed to feed them anything except for the person in charge of feeding and meds. Only one dog has diabetes but I feel that it's unfair to give the others treats or people food when she is on a strict diet and can only watch.

Old 01-17-2019, 04:49 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,382,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
It does not offend me in the least. Dishes get sterilized in the dis washer, any way.

Only people who are generally uncomfortable with animals come up with this stuff.
Really? I don't consider myself uncomfortable with animals at all, but have never made it a habit to let my pets lick plates clean. Perhaps it is partly because I don't have a dishwasher, but I suspect not. It's simply the way I was raised. And while I'm far from a germiphobe, I do have a somewhat respectable awareness of germs in general. Guess I can't speak for anyone else, but that's my perspective.

Old 01-17-2019, 06:03 PM

19,775 posts, read 22,673,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post

Uh no. It’s not a desirable habit I want my dogs to accept.

Old 01-18-2019, 08:03 AM

2,333 posts, read 2,000,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
The original post was about dogs licking dishes that are already in the dishwasher. In my opinion, this is a bad idea. There are things in my dishwasher that I don't want my dogs to lick: sharp knives, chocolate cake crumbs, the forgotten dish from the bedroom that has been sitting out for days.....

If they are allowed to lick, are they allowed to pick up and remove spoons?

It doesn't seem like a safe practice, nothing to do with the ick factor for squeamish people.
You brought up a very good point. I had to go back and re-read the OP, as I had thought of the licking as occurring BEFORE the dishwasher. Which, as I've said, I don't mind. But I do not let them lick dishes that are IN the dishwasher, for the very reasons you mention. Nothing to do with sanitation (except that forgotten dish!):
Quote:
things in my dishwasher that I don't want my dogs to lick: sharp knives, chocolate cake crumbs, the forgotten dish from the bedroom that has been sitting out for days.....
I don't really think of avoiding dogs licking dishes as necessarily squeamish, even though some of the answers struck me that way. I don't have dogs who give me countersurfing problems, at least, not at the moment. And they don't beg, altho they will sit and stare with a great deal of focus, waiting for something to fall on the floor! I generally kick them out of the kitchen while I'm working in the kitchen tho. Not allowed - hot stuff can spill, too.

I have a little story about squeamish - a long time ago one of my compatriots at my workplace had an adult, but young, daughter. She relayed to me one day that daughter was breaking up with current boyfriend. It turns out daughter could not stand the fact that boyfriend did not rinse the soap bar clean after washing his hands.

. . . I didn't even ask if there were issues with hair in the sink . . .

Last edited by hiero2; 01-18-2019 at 08:14 AM..

Old 01-18-2019, 08:24 AM

2,306 posts, read 1,704,148 times
Dogs licking plates is such a minor, minor issue. It's basically a first world problem. If people saw where there food comes from and the conditions in some food processing factories or restaurant kitchens, they would never eat again. For example, I used to work in a restaurant where they hand-washed the bar glasses with the ashtrays and the water wasn't even hot. I complained about it, but was ignored.

People just seem so paranoid by germs anymore. Yes, there are bad bacteria and such out there that can harm you, but being worried over every little germ an exercise in futility. Everyone had their hang ups though. I have my own weird hangups (little kid sticky hands touching my food turns my stomach). I hate it when a toddler offers me a Cheerio, I fake eating it. Haha.

But dogs licking dishes before they are placed in a dishwasher... heck, I still use the 5 second rule and who knows what germs are on the floor from the bottom of people's shoes. But it never hurt me one bit. I also used to eat fruits and veggies out of my parent's garden when I was a kid, right there in the garden without washing them.

All that said, my dog's food goes in her bowl. I think letting her eat off dishes would teach a bad habit and might lead to her being a food thief. I also correct her if she licks dishes in the dishwasher because there are knives in there (and she likes to go for the forks which are right by the knives).

Old 01-19-2019, 11:50 AM

Quote:
People just seem so paranoid by germs anymore. Yes, there are bad bacteria and such out there that can harm you, but being worried over every little germ an exercise in futility
I do realize that one shouldn't obsess about germs, but I do have a (somewhat) respective attitude toward them as well. My sister (the one who does allow her dog to lick plates clean) wound up with one of her children getting a parasite (worms) from the family dog (can't recall what type of worms) many years ago. And while I didn't get this from my dog, almost 4 years ago I wound up with a 'superbug' (C. Difficile, which can be transmissible from human to pet, and vice versa) which left me in and out of the hospital and struggling for over 5 months, and on the verge of drastic measures by the hospital before it was finally defeated. (I now live in constant fear of antibiotics, which could trigger a life-threatening recurrence). So now I do like to implement some precautions, including restricting my dog's shared eating dishes.

All that said, though, I still mainly restrict my dog's meals to his dish simply because it's a good habit to have, imo.

Old 01-19-2019, 01:01 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,049,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassetluv View Post
I do realize that one shouldn't obsess about germs, but I do have a (somewhat) respective attitude toward them as well. My sister (the one who does allow her dog to lick plates clean) wound up with one of her children getting a parasite (worms) from the family dog (can't recall what type of worms) many years ago. And while I didn't get this from my dog, almost 4 years ago I wound up with a 'superbug' (C. Difficile, which can be transmissible from human to pet, and vice versa) which left me in and out of the hospital and struggling for over 5 months, and on the verge of drastic measures by the hospital before it was finally defeated. (I now live in constant fear of antibiotics, which could trigger a life-threatening recurrence). So now I do like to implement some precautions, including restricting my dog's shared eating dishes.

All that said, though, I still mainly restrict my dog's meals to his dish simply because it's a good habit to have, imo.
Another rare but could happen thing.......

A friend of mine had worms last year.

Everyone who lives with her; her husband, son, two dogs and cat did not have worms.

Her doctor thinks she must have picked them up from walking barefoot in their yard......you know.....where squirrels, bunnies, mice, birds, etc. like to poop.

Just a little heads up to those who like to walk barefoot in the grass! LOL

{She also found some difficulty getting treated for those worms.....I told her husband "Why don't you just take her to the vet.".......I was only half kidding, sure would have been cheaper and less complicated. LOL}

Old 01-19-2019, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Another rare but could happen thing.......

A friend of mine had worms last year.

Everyone who lives with her; her husband, son, two dogs and cat did not have worms.

Her doctor thinks she must have picked them up from walking barefoot in their yard......you know.....where squirrels, bunnies, mice, birds, etc. like to poop.

Just a little heads up to those who like to walk barefoot in the grass! LOL

{She also found some difficulty getting treated for those worms.....I told her husband "Why don't you just take her to the vet.".......I was only half kidding, sure would have been cheaper and less complicated. LOL}
Yes, very true. While my sis's dog did have the worms in question, it's always equally possible to pick up parasites on one's own.

P.S. I 'lol'd' at your comment about going to the vet for treatment. At one point I had to go to my doctor for blood tests, and at the same time my bunny had to go for bloodwork as well (two separate issues, of course). While my blood tests took 10 days to come back, my rabbit's bloodwork results were back within 24 hours. I've sometimes contemplated asking my vet to do me a favour...

Old 01-19-2019, 02:53 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,049,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassetluv View Post
Yes, very true. While my sis's dog did have the worms in question, it's always equally possible to pick up parasites on one's own.

P.S. I 'lol'd' at your comment about going to the vet for treatment. At one point I had to go to my doctor for blood tests, and at the same time my bunny had to go for bloodwork as well (two separate issues, of course). While my blood tests took 10 days to come back, my rabbit's bloodwork results were back within 24 hours. I've sometimes contemplated asking my vet to do me a favour...
So true and I have also noticed their lab work costs less even though they are done at the same labs.....no doubt due to insurance mark ups, etc.

I too have wished I could just go to my vet sometimes. One thing I have noticed, vets are much better at communicating. I understand my pets' issues better than I understand my own, LOL. Vets explain everything so well. I could go on and on........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs