Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2019, 05:46 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,067,372 times

Advertisements

We are fostering to adopt a sweet cocker spaniel! He’s a rescue from south Texas and absolutely adorable. Our first two days went pretty well.

Has anyone taken a dog tracing class at Petco? He needs some basic obedience work. He tends to jump when he’s excited. Good thing he’s only 18 pounds lol. But beyond that, he’s great.

After lurking here for quite awhile, it’s exciting to be posting as a dog mom!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2019, 06:03 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiveMeCoffee View Post
We are fostering to adopt a sweet cocker spaniel!
He’s a rescue from south Texas and absolutely adorable. Our first two days went pretty well.
That's wonderful.
Congratulations and best of everything and you better post some pics soon too.

Quote:
He needs some basic obedience work. He tends to jump when he’s excited.
Good thing he’s only 18 pounds lol. But beyond that, he’s great.
A LOT of that is the excitement of everything being new to him.

Best thing for all is spending a LOT of time together as he gets used to his new normal...
and he'll soon start showing you what obedience and training skills he already has.
Look for them.

Then start introducing him to some of your friends with dogs you know are nice.
Expand his social circle and regularize his daily life. Ask for feedback from them.

Quote:
Has anyone taken a dog training class at Petco?
I haven't but I don't do any business with those places.

Old 01-28-2019, 08:08 AM

3,605 posts, read 9,059,576 times
I grew up with a cocker, she was sweet! Congrats to you and your new family member!

Old 01-28-2019, 09:36 AM

1,702 posts, read 1,261,499 times
Congratulations on the new pup! And yes, yes I have taken mines tracing through Petco lol. I think mines was overwhelmed as she has an extremely short attention span and there was a lot going on.

Old 01-28-2019, 11:54 AM

5,094 posts, read 12,588,711 times
Congratulations on your new dog.

My first dog as an adult on my own was a 4 yr old cocker spaniel I got from the shelter. I had her 10 years and she was a fantastic dog. She did have skin issues and had I known what I do now I would have switched her to a raw diet rather then give her all the meds and baths the vet told me to do but it was the 80's and people were not in tune with the diet as medicine as we are now.

I think I would find a obedience class outside of Petco as that is a very distracting environment for dogs just starting training they need to be focused on you not on people stopping to watch and dogs passing by . Adding distractions comes later when they know the basics.

If she knows sit ask her to sit before she gets anything, including meals, saying hello, petting, putting on a leash to go out, tossing a toy as she will learn to get things she has to sit and behave. The sit is sort of a please or the key to all things good.

In Puppy class with Chaos the puppies all learned to sit to say hello and the trainer would start out each class walking around the circle and the puppies that were sitting would get a treat with her hello, My Chaos aced that as she wanted that treat. When she became old enough to go to the dog park she would walk up to people and sit in front of them and stare at them. People would aske me why is she doing this? I had to explain in puppy class they learned that polite dogs that sit to greet people get rewarded, she loves attention too so she was happy with some petting.

As 7 yr old she gets super excited to go out on a walk but calms herself knowing to get the leash put on she must be sitting then to have the door open she must still be sitting. She will get excited and stand up sometimes before I open the door then she realizes why the door is not opening and sits back down. She will stay sitting until I release her to go out.

Good luck and you do know as a new dog mom you do have to post photos!

Old 01-28-2019, 11:55 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,660,053 times
Congrats!

I adopted a dog this weekend and I have had to return her right away (my own fault). I won't bring you down with my story; however, I have had dogs in the past. I would not use Petco or Petsmart; only because they do it in the store and it can be very distracting and overwhelming. Try to do a search for dog obedience classes in your area. They generally have their own facilities and the trainers are more experienced. But if you don't have that, go to Petco by all means. Dog training is as much about training the owner as anything else and you probably need to learn what to do.

Old 01-28-2019, 12:34 PM

2,509 posts, read 2,497,472 times
Cute, he sounds like a sweetie

Old 01-28-2019, 01:00 PM

2,080 posts, read 1,606,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiveMeCoffee View Post
We are fostering to adopt a sweet cocker spaniel! He’s a rescue from south Texas and absolutely adorable. Our first two days went pretty well.

Has anyone taken a dog tracing class at Petco? He needs some basic obedience work. He tends to jump when he’s excited. Good thing he’s only 18 pounds lol. But beyond that, he’s great.

A Cocker Spaniel might have an above average obsession with food; so Petco, where there are so many treats available, might not be the best venue for an obedience class. However, if that is the only class available to you, try it.

What color is he; how old is he?

I have an English Cocker...

Old 01-28-2019, 01:43 PM

63 posts, read 30,972 times
I heartily agree that Petco is not the place for training. Much better to try and set aside 20-30 minutes each day and work with your puppy yourself. Maybe two 10 minute sessions would work better...puppies have short attention spans.
It takes patience and persistence, but it can be done. You will find a lot of tips online for this particular problem. Good luck with your new pup!

I just got a new pup last year. See attachment.
🐾

Last edited by DogFur; 02-16-2020 at 06:57 AM..

Old 01-29-2019, 04:50 AM

1,664 posts, read 1,917,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post

and he'll soon start showing you what obedience and training skills he already has.

Look for them.

^^^Yes, look for them

Not all trainers are created equal. A dog trainer at THIS Petco may do a fantastic job with you and your dog, while a trainer at THAT Petco may not qualify to train a stuffed dog off the WalMart shelf. If at all possible, try to get some references, and hopefully you have choices for training available to you

A 19 month Rottweiler was given to me in December. The owner had done everything right with her, including Obedience 101. Her classes were at a PetSmart and her training is superb. -- which I can't say enough how important it is for YOU to follow thru and practice, practice, practice each new lesson before the next class. Pups can't be stars of the class if their human doesn't help them with their homework

Our local PetSmart has a glassed in classroom, separated from the rest of the store. I have taken pups to Obedience more than once in times past. IMHO, a reasonable amount of distraction is good for them. I have never been one for a "sterile" training environment -- not my dogs, my horses, or my son when he was little
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs