Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2019, 02:56 PM

1,052 posts, read 1,070,656 times

Advertisements

When we applied for our dog, we saw his picture and decided his name was going to be either Cooper or Shea. Cooper made us think of a bouncy, energetic, goofball; Shea was our name for a low-key, relaxed lap-dog.

When we met him, he licked my 6 year in the face, hopped into my 8 year-old’s lap, and tried to run in circles around my husband and I. My husband laughed and looked at me and said, “He’s definitely a Cooper.”

How did your dog(s) get their name(s)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2019, 04:35 PM

1,013 posts, read 727,748 times
We’ve had so many dogs. The puppies were named by our boys. The rescue dogs were older and accustomed to their names, so they kept their names. Only once did I change the dog’s name. He was found abandoned and the rescue group called him Brutus because he was large and muscular (a Boxer). He was so sweet and gentle that it didn’t suit him at all and we renamed him Sam. He was my heart-dog, the best ever.

Old 07-03-2019, 06:11 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,599,150 times
Dazzle got his name because he is a handsome elegant dog that dazzles people when they meet him.

Chaos got her name because when I got her I had Dazzle very laid back, Phoenix also very laid back and thought bringing a puppy into my house was Chaos.

Past dogs. Phoenix came with that name and being she was born deaf with limited vision but rose above her handicaps the name made sense.

Jazz was named by my best friends two very young daughters as they thought she was Jazzy looking. Dash came to me with the name Sam but no one had ever trained Sam to not dash out open doors so I renamed him Dash and taught him to wait at open doors until he was told he could go out.

My first dog Maddie was named Tippy when I got her.She was a beautiful blonde and white Cocker and the TV show Moonlighting was popular at the time so I named her Maddie after Cybil Shepherds character on the show who was also a beautiful blonde.

Old 07-03-2019, 09:01 PM

22,865 posts, read 6,445,738 times
Except for my first dog, a pomeranian/chihuahua mix named Sugar, all my
dogs or cats had human names until now I have Caesar. He's a large Pekingese.
Other names over the years (I'm 72) for cats Alyssa, Marcus, Sara and Reece.
Dogs include Davey, Penny, Benjie, Eppie, Sasha, Marquis, Herold, Marcie & Cissy.
Family members also used people names for their dogs.

Old 07-03-2019, 09:46 PM

8,577 posts, read 11,000,637 times
When I got the Shepherd (he's my third) I really tried to find a name that would be easy for people to remember, and I wanted something different from what most name a Shepherd.

After much thought, I came up with the best one I could think of.

This is "Bobby".

Bob.
Attached Thumbnails
How did your dog get their name?-bobby-ready-walk.jpg  

Old 07-03-2019, 09:52 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,546,743 times
My last dog was named Mexican Mutt, M&M for short, then that morphed into Emmie. I rescued her in Mexico and she traveled with me from Mexico to Canada and than back to the states.

My current dog was a rescue and the shelter named her Ellie Mae. Yikes. I tried several versions of it and it just didn't suit a hyper rat terrier. I was trying to think of a new name for her and I had a dream that her name was Jackie. It would be really interesting if I could find out if that was her name by her prior owner. She took to it instantaneously. Who knows? But, Jackie suits her. She's always happy, loves everyone and is always ready to go, go, go.

Just saying the name Jackie sounds like happy fun, just like her.

Old 07-03-2019, 10:49 PM

438 posts, read 269,858 times
My cattle dog came with the name of a cartoon character, which was totally wrong for a down-to-earth, wash and wear dog. I sometimes look at a website for apartment rentals decorated in modern Scandinavian style, just for the eye candy. The site is called Fantastic Frank, which I thought would make a great name. So that's his name when he's good.

When he's bad (not often), he's Whiskey Tango Francis.

Old 07-04-2019, 02:01 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,342,462 times
My Mister got his name because it became clear early on that he was the Mister. My then 3 other dogs were all girls and he had them soon trained that when the Mister of the house decided to not eat the food in his bowl or a treat, they were not to touch it. No matter what. He would deliberately not eat in order to test their obedience. With deliberate casualness he would leave his treat or food or whatever it was and go around the corner as though he was going to bed. But, as they learned, he would wait five minutes or ten minutes and then come storming around the corner to see if any of them had taken a step in the direction of his stuff. It was very funny. Mister was the reason feminism came to be. It was amazing how they all deferred to him. He was never aggressive. All it took was a look from the Mister and everyone knew their station in life. He also knew that I was the boss in the end. Not that I like the word "boss." I think he thought of me like a mother, so I didn't enter the "girl" category he put the other dogs in.

Nina, my heeler, I struggled for a name and none fit until I came up with Nina. She was then the baby of the family anyway. With Shura, my GSD, I hadn't picked her from the litter but the breeder had. Since her breeding is Czech, I wanted something Slavic. A name was needed for the registration papers and eventually I found the name Shura, of Slavic origin, a version of Alexandra, meaning "protector of man." Since that seemed to sum up the general character of German shepherds, I picked that, knowing I could always pick a different call name when I actually got her, but I've stuck with Shura.

I was a little nervous about Shura since she was a working line shepherd and I'd read so much about how high energy they are but I went with what the breeder said after I'd described my lifestyle. I'm more impressed with her every day. She had a good heart. She is neither fearful nor aggressive. She's very excited about children and other dogs. She's good about not jumping on people. She seems to understand that small children are more fragile than big people. She has good recall although I need to take her to town more and walk with her in an actual town. While I've done some of that, I haven't done enough of it. I don't find her high energy at all but Nina is so extreme she may have completely changed my definition of it. Shura seems like a normal dog in terms of her energy.

Old 07-04-2019, 02:47 PM

26,658 posts, read 28,727,992 times
This is a good place to come for dog names!

Pogo got his name when the rescue person let him out of the car at my house. He came bounding up to me, jumping up and down like a pogo stick.

Old 07-04-2019, 03:37 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,593,228 times
Kyoshi got his name from his foster mom. He is a Japanese Shiba Inu so she wanted a Japanese name so she choose Kiyoshi because she thought it meant pure. But the way it is spelled, Kyoshi actually means Expert Teacher, Sensei or Professor. I stuck with the Kyoshi spelling since it fits well with his current hobby of accompanying me to my aikido classes. Aikido is a Japanese martial art. Funny thing is he watches over every class as if he is a wise sensei approving of what we are doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs