Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 04:22 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,455,656 times

Advertisements

I agree with everyone here. Patience is the key. Like dreamhunter said, get on the floor and just talk to him calmly in a reassuring voice without trying to pet him at first. Let him make the first move. Dogs are very empathic and can sense when someone is being nice and they will often return affection, as I am sure you have experienced with your other dogs. You may have to spend a lot of time with your new foster, letting him initiate the first contact, before he feels comfortable around people.

Dogs that are not socialized with other humans or dogs as puppies also tend to be very skittish of other humans and dogs when they get older. So it may not be prior abuse, it could be that he was isolated from other contact as a puppy that is causing this fear reaction.

I wish you the best of luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2008, 10:01 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,462,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
Keeper, one thing I forgot to mention and uncertain if anyone else did is that once the initial "honeymoon" period is over, trouble can begin.

Right now, he's just feeling his way about things and therefore you're only seeing his surface. In time, he'll begin to feel more comfortable and might begin testing his limits with both you and the other dogs. Keep an eye out for signs that things are changing
Good point . That is really true, it can go up and down and up and down until the dogs settle in on their own dynamic.

Old 04-24-2008, 11:16 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
I adopted a dog that had been abused by her prior owner's boyfriend. To the end of her days (9 yrs with me), she didn't like people talking with their hands, or people who got too excited. She never bit anyone but she sure growled at times. I was careful to keep things quiet around her for a long time.

Old 04-24-2008, 11:37 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,425,493 times
Am so glad this dog is being given a chance and things are going well. Just wanted to add the dog needs confidence, would go at his pace, also when you go to pet him, rather than go over his head, go under, by his neck, it's felt by them as less intimidating. He may feel more comfortable w/ other dogs and may do best in a home where there's at least one other friendly dog. Thanks for taking him in (he's very cute btw, almost looks like a bearded collie).

Old 04-27-2008, 06:16 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,202,996 times
Honeycrisp, you are right.. He does look a lot like a bearded collie. He is the right height, although his hair is shorter, I don't know if he had been cut previously.

At the adoption day yesterday, someone was looking for a big dog who looked mean since she lived out in the country. Someone suggested Hollywood.. OH NO.. NO WAY.. I am not sure what I was feeling but I didn't want him to go.. He is so sweet and smart and I am afraid I have another dog.

Maybe I just had the picture of him being banned to the fenced yard, but I just couldn't let him go.

Old 04-28-2008, 12:28 AM

18,726 posts, read 33,396,751 times
I hope no shelter or rescue would release a dog to someone who wants a dog who looks mean because she lives in the country. What a ridiculous reason, and not likely to result in a good match for a dog (or good care).
Frankly, I've heard that the best deterrent to any intruder is a barking dog. Not a mean dog, not one that scares people or might bite- just a noisy dog. (Most dogs will bark when someone approaches their turf). If someone means trouble, and they hear noise, they will simply go elsewhere, where it's quiet.
I heard this on a talk show (Oprah) where a professional burglar who never was caught gave up his secrets. They taped houses and he showed how he'd get in, and so on. She asked him if there was any one thing that most would deter him or less professional burglars, and he said, "Every time, a barking dog. You don't want the trouble. You just move on."
Given the racket in my house over next to nothing, I guess I'm pretty safe from burglars. They could hardly get a peep in edgewise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs