Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 06:20 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,696,401 times

Advertisements

labs or a golden? why not get a sheltie, or terrier breed?" they have some great dogs.

the Bichon is a real sweet dog, and mighty smart!-potty traing, takes time-grooming, but that dog, from a great breeder will give you 14 years of love! and the Bichon travels well!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2008, 10:56 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,782,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamhunter65 View Post
You do not like the smart bump? then get a stupid one lol. Me with my hounds the bigger the bump the better I feel as they are smarter. Just like bird dogs with the light colored mouth versus dark colored say light colored is softer mouthed and better for upland birds.
My dad always called that a smart bump also.

The show lines tend to be block-headed, lion maned dogs. More sedate, less robust.

The hunters will as often as not be "triangle-headed" (have a weird bump on the top of the head), less fledged. More energetic, rougher characters.

Show dogs are bred for appearance and temperment, hunters are bred for talent and brains. I think working strains in any breed are probably superior animals, but that's my preference. Keep in mind that a working line is going to be a lot more dog than a lot of people are expecting.

Old 08-31-2008, 05:03 AM

18,124 posts, read 11,758,079 times
Bump on the head? I never noticed it before. I guess love will do that.

I love the Golden's looks (long hair and all) personality and humor I wouldn't trade my two Golden's for one single Lab. The Goldens are super friendly, smart, very sociably and playful. To me, the long hair doesn't matter because the dog must be groomed regardless of hair's length.

One difference between the Goldens and the Lab is size and weight - the Goldens can weight up to 80-85 lbs whereas the Labs are of smaller frame. This is my guess.

It depends on what you are really looking for in a dog?

Old 08-31-2008, 07:15 AM

342 posts, read 1,831,685 times
Both make wonderful family pets and have great qualities. I don't think you can go wrong with either.

But, because of their popularity, there are tons of backyard breeders for both, leading to poor quality dogs in terms of health and temperment. Please be aware that due to this, there have been some lines with aggression issues (most are goofy lovebugs). So if you're getting a purebred dog, do your research!! Interview the breeder, ask tons of questions, and make sure they are reputable! Don't get your dog from a backyard breeder, and definitely not a pet store/puppy mill.

Another thing to consider is that both purebred breeds, you have a choice between a dog from a working line (active in hunting/retrieving) or showdog line. Working lines of any breed tend to thrive with lots of mental and physical activity, and can get bored if not sufficiently stimulated or provided an outlet for their energy. They're great dogs, but unless you plan to work them, I'd advise against a working line dog.

Don't dismiss shelter pups and adult dogs either! While you won't know their lineage, good shelters/fosters will test their dogs in various situations and can give you a pretty good indication of temperment. Some of the best dogs I've owned and known have been mutts. And there are plenty of adorable golden or lab mixes.

Hope you find the perfect addition to your family

Old 08-31-2008, 01:12 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,344,251 times
I have 2 lab mixes and used to dogsit for labs and goldens.
Not sure if it just depends on the individual dog or not but the golden seems to be a bit more active and hyper than a lab. The lab seems to be more "I want to be petted all the time"
Goldens of course have longer hair but both breeds of dogs shed.
Why not get a lab and a golden and have the best of both worlds? Both breeds and mixes make the best pets ever.
Another thing (if it concerns you) both breeds will not put up with you being a couch potato. They both require a lot of exercise and they'll make sure you get it also.

Old 08-31-2008, 03:59 PM

7 posts, read 23,451 times
we have five labs right now (and had two more in the past that are now in doggie heaven) - labs are great, funny, smart, do the darnest things, will always keep you laughing, one of our labs does have the a little bump, one is the english blocky kind, one is a mini boy with shorter legs - but we would not trade one of them for any other kind of dog - they always keep life interesting, trying using the bathroom with five of them sitting at your feet - try going to a local animal shelter and playing with different kinds of dogs - you will find the one that is for you - but never, never, never pay for a dog - with all the dogs out there today needing good homes - that is just a waste of money - good luck with whatever dog you do end up with - and as for the bump - so what!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs