Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 07:40 AM

3,488 posts, read 8,222,089 times

Advertisements

I'm a fan too. We have a little dog and I like that he expects dogs of all sizes to behave well. A lot of people let the little ones get away with anything because it's 'cute'. Well it's not cute when they become yappy, snappy little horrors.

We do treat our girl like our kid a bit more than we probably should, but she's under no illusions about who's in charge, and I think she's a much happier little fluff ball for knowing it.

I don't think his methods are cruel at all. He never hits, or even yells at a dog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2008, 07:43 AM

1,715 posts, read 6,981,632 times
Ceasar has more dog knowledge in his pinky that I'll ever have. That said, I'm sure there is some clever editing in some of the shows.

Old 08-10-2008, 10:19 AM

4,334 posts, read 13,662,846 times
Cesar is great! One thing I learned from his shows is how important it is for the human to be the pack leader....I am the pack leader of my dogs and they all know it. I just introduced Jenny to my pack of dogs (as me being the pack leader) whereas before I would have been scared to put them all together and they would have fed off my fear and there would have been a fight. I just opened the gate let her out and called them all over to sit at my feet which they did. Then I let them smell. Within 10 minutes Jenny led them to her room and up on the bed they all went! She is now back to her last 2 weeks of rest time! She is recovering nice from the heartworm treatments.

Old 08-10-2008, 01:53 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,344,251 times
I like the man.
He taught me how to walk a dog and how to be a pack leader to my dog.
When I lived in Texas, there were not any dog trainers in my area and the area I'm in now in NM, no trainers here either so I watch Cesar and post on CD to get my answers.

Old 12-07-2008, 05:15 PM

659 posts, read 1,759,836 times
I love the show and agree with his methods. I actually got to meet him when he came to my town for a book signing. I think he brings up a lot of good points about HUMAN psychology and the human tendency to treat their little furry kids like little furry humans (it takes one to know one - I'm totally guilty of this). I like that he continually reminds owners that you can't use human psychology on dogs.

My only critique of his show is that I often think his rehabilitation is short-lived because many of the owners probably have a hard time following through.

But he's clearly a devoted dog lover and I have no doubt that he's saved countless canine lives and had a great impact on countless human lives.

Old 12-08-2008, 10:06 AM

138 posts, read 618,858 times
I personally don't care for Cesar. It works for some dogs that are very aggressive but I do not believe in the alpha roll nor the negative reinforcement. I love Tamar Geller and her book that she has out. I believe her training works best for me and my dogs and believe what she writes about and how she trains makes sense and works.

Old 12-08-2008, 10:10 AM

3,749 posts, read 12,406,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugluvr View Post
I personally don't care for Cesar. It works for some dogs that are very aggressive but I do not believe in the alpha roll nor the negative reinforcement. I love Tamar Geller and her book that she has out. I believe her training works best for me and my dogs and believe what she writes about and how she trains makes sense and works.
Personally I think a lot of what he says makes sense. I'm glad that at the start of each episode it states not to try the techniques on your own but to contact a professional for help. I've never seen him use negative reinforcement in his approach.

Old 12-08-2008, 11:24 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,830,750 times
The other thing Cesar has going for him is that he goes into situations where the dog and the humans have set up a repeating, familiar pattern of bad behavior. Cesar shows up, completely outside of the pattern, and the dog has to respond to something new. Sometimes it looks like a miracle how the dog responds to Cesar compared to his own people (when I first watched a few episodes, I was sure they just skipped past the part where the off-screen handlers gave the dogs thorazine or something to really calm them down), but a lot of that is that "fresh start" between Cesar and the dog.

The question is - how well do the people do at keeping Cesar's methods and training and breaking the bad habits? If you went back to those households 6 months later, how many of them would have continued success stories? That's mostly up to the humans, and I think we are often the weak link in the training chain.

Old 12-08-2008, 01:10 PM

2,126 posts, read 6,804,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobokenkitchen View Post
I don't think his methods are cruel at all. He never hits, or even yells at a dog.
Exactly, I find some of the comments about him being too "harsh" are puzzling. I mean he doesn't beat them. Has anyone ever seen old school Schutzhund training? That is harsh. They are dogs, they need to know who is boss. Even ones that have been abused need a leader that they can trust. That is what Cesar does, he develops trust and respect with the dog. He uses different methods and degrees of sternness depending on the dogs temprament. Sounds like good training methods to me.

Old 12-08-2008, 01:12 PM

2,126 posts, read 6,804,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugluvr View Post
If you don't believe in the alpha role, please do everyone a favor and do not own a German Shepherd, rottie, doberman, pit bull, American bulldog... basically any working breed. They will become the alpha if you don't assert yourself in that role.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs