Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 04:45 PM

95 posts, read 297,217 times

Advertisements

We have a dog that we adopted from the dog pound in statesville, she was to be put to sleep in 1 hour. She is a wonderful, beautiful little girl named Holly! They said they thought she was about a year old, and was of mixed breed. Cross between a gold retriever and a yellow Lab. But we think there is some beagle in there too. Did'nt notice this while she was young, but now that she is getting older you can see a definite wide stripe like pattern down the center of her back, and when she gets scared it stand on end just like a porcupine.
Then she looks like she has a mohawk. Does anyone know what breed she could be mixed with??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2008, 04:47 PM

628 posts, read 2,078,940 times
can you post a photo??? we can have a contest!

Old 05-13-2008, 04:47 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,512,987 times
Sounds like a rhodesian ridgeback! A very noble breed. I bet she is a great furkid! I doubt that is beagle - when you see a pic of a RR - you will see the characteristics that could be mistaken for that beagle influence. I will try to find you a link.

Last edited by brokensky; 05-13-2008 at 04:50 PM.. Reason: add infi

Old 05-13-2008, 04:54 PM

Here is a link. You will see pix down at the bottom. Near the end, you will see a blonde looking pic - and you can see the line of fur you described. Once you look at the characteristics, I think you will see that your doggie is probably rhodesian ridgeback and yellow lab or retriever or something like that (not having seen the pix of your furkid!!!)

Rhodesian Ridgeback - Photo Community - Main Index

Last edited by brokensky; 05-13-2008 at 04:54 PM.. Reason: add link

Old 05-13-2008, 05:41 PM

yep! Looks a lot like the RR pictures except her ridge is about 3 or more inches wide down her back. Will post some pictures later! She is just a wonderful furkid! Someday soon, I want to start a website about her and are previous dogs. I loved each and every one of them.

Old 05-13-2008, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lam0land View Post
yep! Looks a lot like the RR pictures except her ridge is about 3 or more inches wide down her back. Will post some pictures later! She is just a wonderful furkid! Someday soon, I want to start a website about her and are previous dogs. I loved each and every one of them.
Thank you so much for adopting! The shelters are so stressed here in CLT right now. There are great dogs begging for homes. I look forward to your pix! I know she is a wonderful member of your family. She may be 1/2 ridgeback and 1/2 another breed. Are you sure she isn't full ridgeback and no one recognized her breed at the shelter?

Old 05-13-2008, 08:08 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,180,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Thank you so much for adopting! The shelters are so stressed here in CLT right now. There are great dogs begging for homes.
How very true! That's why I ended up bringing home three shelter dogs from TN when I was originally picking up just one. Owning three dogs at a time as my time though and it's much harder for me to take trips now. Traveling with one small dog is easy, but with three dogs near impossible. Then it's times three on vet bills and food. But I love my furry babies very much and I wouldn't change a thing.

I thought that the old mini poodle mix was close to the end of his life when I adopted him. I figured that I'd make his last year comfortable. But after three years, he's still going strong and seems to have gotten perkier. lol

Old 05-13-2008, 08:38 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,548,343 times
'm in my 50's and have owned about 6 big dogs since high school. All were either from a pound or abandoned.

Old 05-14-2008, 05:01 PM

Have always gotten my cats from shelters as people want kittens - so I get the mature ones. And such love . . . have gotten most of my dogs f/ shelters as well.

MIU - I was thinking about getting an older doggie, even tho I already have my beloved furkid. Same as you - I think - what an awful thing to happen to an older dog - to be abandoned - and most people want a pup or young dog. You have a heart of gold to take in the older doggies. I hope they have brought a lot of joy to you.

Old 05-15-2008, 01:23 AM

In my 60's and Holly is are 5th dog. They were all great, and quite different. Dukie was our 1st and we got her about 6 wks old. He was a German Shepard Mix. Smokey was 2nd and was a Husky Mix, Buddy was a black Lab mix, Molly was a Lab Coonhound Mix, and Holly is whatever mix.
I was reading last night that a R Ridgeback's hair on the back grows backward,hers does'nt, its just courser thren the rest of her fur. Whatever she is shes great except--for her digging holes in the yard, Ive been trying to stop her but nothing works. Any ideas??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs