Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2021, 11:38 PM

22,859 posts, read 6,440,379 times

Advertisements

My husband and I had pekes (one at a time) and we both adored them. A family member is crazy about his dog but his wife doesn't feel the same. What are your feelings?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2021, 08:54 AM

32,659 posts, read 48,067,543 times
I live with my son and he is devoted to the dogs. He buys special treats after researching to get the best ones. Cost isn't any consideration. He helps with the preparation of the food that I cook for them. He bought a really expensive grinder so he could grand large batches of meat for dog food, so that the dogs could eat better meat.

When my husband and I split up, I said, "I should take the dogs because I am in a position to take better care if them" and his response was "fine. I never liked them much, anyway"

That was a surprise because he always seemed to like to be around them. But, oh well, at least there wasn't a fight about custody.

The opposite thing: I had some puppy buyers call me and tell me that had to return the dog because they were fighting so furiously about who got the dog that they decided that the only fair thing was that no one got to keep her.

I had her for a week when they called back and said they were being unfair to the dog and that the husband would take her.

Old 12-06-2021, 09:07 AM

17,396 posts, read 16,540,182 times
We are a dog family. My husband, our kids and I all love our two dogs equally. I have one son away at college and he has admitted that a big reason he comes home on some weekends is to see the pups.

Old 12-06-2021, 01:23 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,131,779 times
My spouse grew up with cats, he was never around dogs until he met me. I made it clear that the seven year old shepherd I had at the time was part of the deal. My dog could be quite aggressive with strangers, but my dad flew him out and when we were bringing him home from the airport, he sniffed my spouses hair and wagged his tail, they had an instant connection.

We’ve had dogs and occasional cats ever since. His siblings who were raised around cats, don’t have dogs and married cat people.

It’s probably not unusual for spouses to have different feeling about pets. Some people were never around animals growing up, while their spouse had a pet friendly childhood. I dated more than one guy who right off started telling me to get rid of my dog. Those relationships ended right there, no need to try for a serious relationship. It’s strange how some guys are that controlling. Any woman dating a guy like that should tell him, her dog is not his dam concern.

Old 12-08-2021, 05:18 PM

4,255 posts, read 3,177,132 times
While she cares for both dogs, I think she cares much more for hers (Miniature Schnauzer) than mine....a KNPV Dutch Shepherd. Mine is just way too active, requires too much time and difficult to handle for her.

Old 12-08-2021, 06:37 PM

3,376 posts, read 1,971,971 times
I wouldn't say we don't love them equally, I would say we love them differently. I've always been the caregiver for our family so when our dogs have been ill or terminal, I can do all the medical things needed and not fall apart while doing them. Hubby could not handle it. We're different in what we're capable of handling but not our capacity for loving them (we have 3.)

He definitely has a softer heart for our female dogs. I favor our males and get a kick out of their antics when vying for attention. Neither one of us could rank them in terms of which one we love the most.

Old 12-09-2021, 05:28 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,547,343 times
We adore ours equally. I don't think I'd have wanted to marry a man who didn't love animals like I did. The first test I put him through was taking him to the horse barn to see if he liked horses. Of course, he did

Old 01-04-2022, 10:49 AM

18,474 posts, read 31,648,692 times
we both love our fur baby to the sky and more.
I am more gentle with him and spouse plays rough with him, he likes it though, but if spouse scolds him, he runs behind my legs for protection, and he seems to feel safer with me, cuddles more with me.

but, each one of us does different things with the dog.
we both play, we both walk him, but we are not the same people, so we cant be the same to the dog.

the dog all night will watch TV between my legs, yet when bedtime comes, he sleeps next to spouse.

like he evenly distrubutes the love.

it is actually funny.

I'm the big sap though, I give the treats, and the dog can do no wrong in my eyes, and I let him bite my clothes, and i let him play bite my hands.

Old 01-08-2022, 10:43 AM

4,856 posts, read 3,282,699 times
We have two young Cavaliers (18 months/9 months). They each seem to favor one of us during the day, but the other one at night. Odd, me thinks.

As to the original question, we also have an aged Cavalier rescue that takes 'lap dog' to the next level. He's kind of needy. Been with us for 10 years now, and my wife isn't nearly as attached to him as I am.

Old 02-08-2022, 07:56 PM

6,813 posts, read 9,361,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
We have two young Cavaliers (18 months/9 months). They each seem to favor one of us during the day, but the other one at night. Odd, me thinks.
Haha, this reminds me of my Samoyed! I wanted a Samoyed and my partner agreed to it, although it was a little bit of a compromise. The Samoyed favors my partner during the day (he will sit and watch the partner work all day at the computer), but tends to favor me at night.

I think we love our dogs equally, but we express it differently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs