Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2021, 10:52 AM

6,883 posts, read 11,239,181 times

Advertisements

We are finding hotels have weight restrictions.

We have to travel by car from South Florida to New Jersey.

Any ideas?

21 hour drive - my husband will want to stop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2021, 11:02 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,937,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
We are finding hotels have weight restrictions.
Microtel was always my go to.
Cheech is 82lbs

Old 12-06-2021, 11:24 AM

1,343 posts, read 1,371,357 times
Microtels are nicer than our go-tos, when we are traveling, which are Red Roof Inn and Motel 6 (used to be Motel 6 was fine, now it's a last resort, I confess). We've had good luck asking for 1st floor rooms at Red Roof Inns - very easy in & out from the parking lot.

I don't recall either of those imposing a weight restriction.

Drury Inn is (or at least, was) also pet-friendly. Again, I am not sure about weight restrictions.

Last: Look at the website bringfido.com. They have listings, too.

Have a safe trip!

Old 12-06-2021, 04:14 PM

Smile We did check it out!

Help@bringfido.com

Great site!

We plan to stay in Savannah first night. My husband is doing all the driving since I can't drive anymore (vision issues).

Then, possibly Richmond, VA for night 2. Then arrive on the 24th in NJ.

I'd like to make it in 2 days but my husband loves a nice leisurely car trip and if he wants to stop somewhere, I want to carve out that time. He has enough deadlines workwise.

Most of the chains now have weight restrictions. Ours is 101 and pretty hard to hide that fact. He looks just like Lassie and he's a social butterfly. Loves people, the more the better plus little kids.

We see what happens on the way back. My deadlines are year end so may have to rush back.

Old 12-06-2021, 04:16 PM

23,265 posts, read 18,787,820 times
A collie weighing over 100 lbs??? Weight restrictions are a roundabout way to restrict breeds that have bad reputations. Its possible that if you explain that you have a non-mastiff/non-giant breed dog that happens to be very overweight they'll let it slide.

Old 12-06-2021, 07:10 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,056,556 times
Never had a problem with La Quinta, and many of them don't have an additional charge.

Old 12-07-2021, 09:59 AM

32,636 posts, read 47,995,345 times
Call the actual motel, not the national 800 number. The individual motels will probably take you, but if you call the national number, they give you the national policy. Just ask if your collie dog is OK, you know, a Lassie dog, to clarify. If they take pets they will say yes.

Old 12-07-2021, 10:22 AM

3,374 posts, read 1,963,607 times
Residence Inn is very dog friendly. We traveled with three dogs cross country and even though the "stated" policy is a maximum of two dogs, they never questioned us when we walked through the office area with our three. Ours are smaller dogs but they never gave us a hard time about the number.

They do charge a one time pet fee which is reasonable if you're staying for a few days, but for us, we never stayed more than one night so it was a bit high. We didn't have a choice since we were moving. There was no way we would put our dogs in cargo on a plane so we did the move by car and all went well even with one dog being a diabetic needing refrigerated insulin injections twice per day. We only stayed at Residence Inns so I don't have any info on other hotels.

Old 12-07-2021, 10:57 PM

Default Not overweight actually

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
A collie weighing over 100 lbs??? Weight restrictions are a roundabout way to restrict breeds that have bad reputations. Its possible that if you explain that you have a non-mastiff/non-giant breed dog that happens to be very overweight they'll let it slide.
Just a very fluffy loving collie but he's a big guy. We rescued him and he's gorgeous. Looks like Lassie but he's Laddie. (male)

He'd be a great therapy dog.

Old 12-08-2021, 08:38 AM

7,378 posts, read 12,662,916 times
The original Lassie was a Laddie, too! John Wayne won him in a card game after all the Lassie movies, and dyed his fur brown for the movie "Hondo." Such a good dog...

Whatever the weight restrictions are for large dogs, I think your Laddie will miraculously "lose" whatever pounds to be under the limit. Nobody is going to weigh your dog in a hotel lobby, as long as you pay the nightly fee...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs