Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 08:13 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,675,732 times

Advertisements

Always carry a little plastic baggie with you when you walk your dog and pick up the poop. It's the right thing to do and like you said a maltese doesn't leave much. My little maltese doesn't leave much, but I always pick it up. Apparently
your neighbors will appreciate this more than your little tokens of niceness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2008, 09:20 AM

283 posts, read 1,291,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erma View Post
Poop pick up is a responsibility we are all suppose to take care of when walking our dogs in public. Take a bag in your pocket before you put the leash on your pet.
Tie a grocery bag (or even smaller for your dog) onto the leash.

It takes 15 seconds of your own time vs. time and aggravation for those who may step on it, track it somewhere, etc.

I walk my 2 dogs daily and always pick up. I do it because I HATE it when people allow dogs crap in my yard and don't pick it up....

Poo is poo. I don't care if it is you are walking a baby elephant or a yorkie. I still don't want anyone or anything to make an unwanted deposit in my yard.

We are not being mean - just providing feedback. Like the note.

Good luck to you.

Old 06-14-2008, 01:59 PM

39 posts, read 157,357 times
I make sure my dog goes nowhere near other people's yards to the extent that's possible. I keep him on the sidewalk or the little grassy patch between that and the street. If a neighbor that knows little about dogs sees him sniffing his or another neighbor's bushes, he might assume my little man is going to pee on them and might say something to me. Put yourself in their position for a minute. I'd certainly be annoyed if I wasn't a dog owner and my plants that I work so hard to maintain ended up dying because of excessive dog pee. Not everyone feels the way we do regarding dogs.. they see them as an annoyance.

Picking up poo after your dog is just common courtesy, especially if you live in an apartment and s/he's going in a common area. I second all that's been said. Doesn't matter how small it is, just carry a bag with you and clean up after your baby. Sure it's a slight inconvenience, but that comes with owning a dog. I have to do it too.

My man doesn't even poo on walks, usually doesn't pee either until we get back into my own yard. He is a weirdo imho.

Last edited by whiskeyecho; 06-14-2008 at 02:00 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 06-15-2008, 01:14 AM

7 posts, read 21,093 times
WE,that’s what I was trying to explain earlier. Like you, I usually take Crimson across the street where there is a huge patch of vacant land and a condemned building that looks like it was in WWII. Maybe in the woods and I’m not talking about the ones with cemented walking areas. If he does go in the area it’s usually raining and it’s all I can do to get him out. I don't let him go in anyone’s front yard or plants. I do pick it up but I was just trying to be truthful and admit that its not always. I just don't see how it can just be me and them see it. There are some large crazy dogs that the people let lose at night but common sense would say that they know it can't be my little dog. I have recently seen a lady out with her little dog. She just stands by the front door while he runs around. I use little zip lock baggies all the time now but I also don't go out of the neighborhood anymore.

As far as you comment on the plants go "Ahhhhhhh". I wouldn't even know how to tackle that without just getting rid of him. He is so smart but he is a peeing freakazod. I used to tell people and ask if he had a problem with his bladder but no one understood until they where around him. He pees ALL the time. He pees like a boy, girl, on everything and sometimes he fakes it. I understand what you are saying about the plants and the time they took but they plant everywhere there is dirt. In the front of apartments, back, side and across the street on the side where no one lives. If I did what you say he wouldn't be aloud to go anywhere and some times he is just smelling. I usually try to get him away from anything nice if I can. I guess I feel like they just want to point a finger and have someone to talk about or have all the land. Thank you for all the comments, I don’t take as being mean. I just wanted other points of view.

Old 06-15-2008, 01:27 AM

13,927 posts, read 39,302,018 times
Ok Heres a tip LITTER train him! Katie has been litter trained all her life...& Never potties outside!

Litter Boxes Aren't Just For Cats

Old 06-15-2008, 10:26 AM

7 posts, read 21,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Ok Heres a tip LITTER train him! Katie has been litter trained all her life...& Never potties outside!

Litter Boxes Aren't Just For Cats
I checked out the link you posted. That is pretty interesting. Is your dog really litter trained? I don't think Crimson could hang but I may try. At least it will make a funny conversation piece. You must be an interesting character if you got your baby to do that. I thought about it when he was a baby but after the puppy pads I decided it was time to move it outside.

Old 06-15-2008, 11:13 AM

13,927 posts, read 39,302,018 times
Katie is a Service dog trained to GO POTTY Before we leave the apt. She was using paper so I just put it on a tray to protect the floor. I lived in an apt with 104 apts & over half the people have small dogs.... I never Walked Katie cause of the Dog Poop All Over!...& when people complained about it I just smilled cause I knew it was not my dog they were talking about.

After the police gave out tickets to the others...they too started Litter Training their dogs!

Old 06-15-2008, 11:34 AM

1,895 posts, read 5,902,361 times
I dunno, they probably left such a hostile letter because they were aggravated that someone who *should* know better chooses not to, and thought that a bit of public embarrasment would encourage you to start doing it. Pick up the poo your pet makes, and then you will know that the neighbors aren't talking about YOU when there's poo around. It seems like you think it's okay that since you try to make your dog not do his business on other people's stuff most of the time, it should cancel out the times when you just let him do it wherever, or that since there are so many plants, he can ruin a few here in there with his urine and nobody should care. Sorry, but I don't think that works. If people are angry at your actions (or the actions of your dog) you need to take responsibilty for them and do the right thing by picking it up. I don't know what the environment is where you live, but if I had a neighbor that let his/her dog do business on my property, where my kid plays, even 10% of the time, even in the rain.. I would still be livid at their irresponsibility.

Old 06-16-2008, 11:11 PM

14,884 posts, read 17,164,304 times
Quote:
There was an elderly lady that frequented the local public park; and whenever she came across any dog poop, she would decorate it with some Redi-Whip cream and a maraschino cherry. It was sort of like putting a happy face on something not so nice.
Cute!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs