Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 06:24 PM

1,310 posts, read 6,571,004 times

Advertisements

Some Cities see rise in vehicle dwellers (http://www.in-forum.com/ap/index.cfm?page=view&id=D91FV1E80 - broken link)

LA see rise in vehicle dwellers (broken link)

Story of people increasingly falling to living out of their vehicles (specifically those with pets) due to foreclosures and fallen economy. My heart was moved by this article the very day I drove past a rusty old van with a dog tied to the door napping under the van.

I wonder if there's a care packet program for pet food and human needs. I feel the need to go get a 40lb bag of dog food, chew toy, and 4 gallons of drinking water for the van dweller...wow, what a ministry that would be...

Anyone know about these things or have thoughts? Though, they may be a nuisance and have issues we aren't used to, they are still people and they still have pets, ya know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2008, 06:36 PM

16,223 posts, read 25,737,292 times
How sad.....

Old 06-24-2008, 06:38 PM

4,584 posts, read 12,395,057 times
I don't know if there is a program for the homeless and their critters. I do know that many shelters are full to over flowing because families are loosing their homes at an alarming rate and they have to move to places that don't take pets so their beloved family critters are ending up in shelters.

It's frightningly sad.

Old 06-24-2008, 07:22 PM

THat's why I thought if there was a program at least like done during CHristmas time for care packages that include dog or cat food. Why not help someone who has those pets so they don't feel like they have to give them up while living in their cars? More often than not they want to feed their pets but they can't find a way to do it. I wondered if there was programs already out there that offer that. I wonder if there's an organization that would know more info on the numbers that do have pets that are homeless. I would think that would be very difficult to calculate...

Old 06-24-2008, 08:44 PM

I was inspired/moved to share it so that when and if you ever see that in your neighborhood to think twice before casting judement.

Old 06-24-2008, 09:18 PM

1,477 posts, read 7,926,094 times
I've seen this group on the internet that helps the homeless with pets.
Members (http://www.petsofhomeless.com/members.htm - broken link)

They seem to have supporters in a number of states. I think it's a great idea to help people keep their pets, whether they are homeless or not.

Last edited by leorah; 06-24-2008 at 09:18 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 06-24-2008, 09:51 PM

It shows compassion to the person giving hope and can often modivate them to keep pursuing self-sufficiency. It did for my boyfriend he was forced into living in his car because his girlfriend at the time took everything and left him the bills. He had no choice to let her take his cat because he afraid he couldn't take care of him in his little car. After 6 month of this situation, someone heard of his situation and networked to a well known church called Harvest. A pastor by the name of Greg Laurie called him up and brought him a care package, bought him some gas, a meal, and some conversation with guidance. It was the ticket that modivated him to continue to get back on his feet just when he lost all hope. Sharing compassion for someone's pets can have a huge impact on their well-being far deeper than you think. Here is a very capable guy, my boyfriend, with no disabilities, illness, or addictions just bad luck. So, you can't judge the book by the cover sometimes.

Old 06-24-2008, 09:55 PM

702 posts, read 2,530,335 times
I love the idea about helping people and their pets. I don't think I could ever leave my pet - she would go with us no matter if I had to carry her for miles (she's 65lbs!) so I understand why people do it.

Old 06-26-2008, 05:57 AM

1,738 posts, read 8,294,832 times
thats so very sad!

Old 06-26-2008, 06:51 AM

1,188 posts, read 5,546,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deegers View Post
Some Cities see rise in vehicle dwellers (http://www.in-forum.com/ap/index.cfm?page=view&id=D91FV1E80 - broken link)

LA see rise in vehicle dwellers

Story of people increasingly falling to living out of their vehicles (specifically those with pets) due to foreclosures and fallen economy. My heart was moved by this article the very day I drove past a rusty old van with a dog tied to the door napping under the van.

I wonder if there's a care packet program for pet food and human needs. I feel the need to go get a 40lb bag of dog food, chew toy, and 4 gallons of drinking water for the van dweller...wow, what a ministry that would be...

Anyone know about these things or have thoughts? Though, they may be a nuisance and have issues we aren't used to, they are still people and they still have pets, ya know?
If you feel moved you should donated those items to that person and dog!

When we donate it is for the feeling we get of being a good person for doing a good act...not for the thanks. We've done exactly what you are wanting to do. Our group we volunteer with offers to alter homeless pepole's pets for free (through our Spay it Forward program) and then my partner and I donated 2 months of food to a particular couple. We didn't deliver it...others did and just told them it was donated by some caring people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs