Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2008, 03:32 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,384,753 times

Advertisements

I took my boy to be "fixed" (or broken depending on your view) today. While he was under the anesthetic, the vet removed a couple baby teeth that were impacted by the mature teeth coming in. The poor lil thing is just miserable. I feel so bad for him. His vet did send home pain meds for him but, my poor lil guy! Gee!
I know intellectually it's better for him but, he's so sweet I hate to see him hurting.
Anyone else have these guilt feelings after "fixing" their pet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 03:38 PM

2,080 posts, read 6,939,753 times
Many times as a breeder. But it goes by fairly well and fairly quickly! They're resilient and he'll be back to his old self once again. I know it may be a little rough for him. And with pain management, soft food diet, and a lot of water, he'll be good as new!!!! And of course your tender loving care will speed his recover!!!! I wish you and your boy the best!

Old 08-04-2008, 04:15 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,944,603 times
You're going to be surprised how he bounces back. And it's good that those remaining deciduous (baby) teeth were removed. Leaving them in place can cause problems with food sticking and resulting decay.

I'm sure you'll be shocked at how quickly your boy recovers!

Old 08-04-2008, 07:38 PM

1,715 posts, read 6,981,632 times
The first time I met my dog was when I picked him up from getting fixed. I don't know if they gave him too much anesthetic or what, but he passed out for a few seconds a few times that day. He was out of that entire night. The next day though he was totally fine.

Old 08-04-2008, 08:10 PM

1,343 posts, read 5,169,973 times
Had to leave my baby boy an extra day after they discovered one of his testicles hadn't dropped. We had just gotten him & his sister from the shelter and in addition to worrying about him, I was so worried she'd be lost without him. The whole way home, I watched the poor little hurt thing in the passenger seat more than I watched the road.

He slept all that night and was lethargic the next day, but rarin' to go after that.

It's tough, but don't feel guilty, you're being a responsible pet parent.

Old 08-04-2008, 08:28 PM

1,188 posts, read 5,534,831 times
Firts of all, way to be a responsible pet owner!

It's difficult that we can't snap our fingers and make our their pains go away. He'll bounce back in no time! Our kiddos were groggy the first day, but were back to themselves the day following.

Old 08-04-2008, 09:07 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,462,852 times
I agree, good for you doing the neutering in the first place !

The boys recover so quickly, it's not like what the females go through, he'll be up and running in no time and it will be a distant memory...but the benefits will last a lifetime !

Old 08-05-2008, 09:58 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,410,769 times
Brain surgery is the only way to go. You are helping him health wise and helping keep population down.

Old 08-05-2008, 10:18 AM

7,727 posts, read 12,384,753 times
Thank you everyone for your comments. He is feeling a bit better today. I (obviously) agree that "fixing" a pet is the way to go. Our boy is a purebreed with papers and I had been approached about having him bred though he's still a puppy. Seeing all the puppies available that need homes, I decided after speaking with his vet that it was the best thing for him. I just didn't like seeing our good boy hurting. Thanks for being so kind to this soft hearted ole lady!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs