Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 07:28 AM

3,412 posts, read 10,169,008 times

Advertisements

As some of you remember, my GSD bloated back about month or so ago, it wasn't apparent, because she didn't display any symptoms, and the regular check-up vet discovered an enlargement on her side and was concerned, thinking it might have been enlarged spleen. But after the surgery started, they discovered GDV and a healthy spleen, did tummy tack and it was all to it.
So, i am considering to do tummy tack on my male as well. I'm kind of scared, he is 5 years old, he's picky eater, chews on grass quiet often and prone to lose stools. The surgery and all the med wll run around $700.00, it's just uneasy feeling and i'm wondering if i should just go and do it?
Any advise?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2008, 07:55 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,264,571 times
I've heard of some who have breeds that are predisposed to bloat having the stomach tacked early in life. About the time they spay/neuter. On the other hand I know an Akita who bloated twice, ripped the sutures during the bloat which caused another round of torsion, she did survive though.

Old 08-06-2008, 08:50 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,550,698 times
If he is a high energy very active dog with a deep chest I would consider it more than if he was laid back. Also, how deep is his chest? Do you know if any first degree relatives bloated?

It is a tough call. Neither of my dogs are tacked and I have had 5 GSDs over the years never had a problem but it can happen, as you know.

Old 08-06-2008, 11:50 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,282,391 times
Is the vet willing to do the operation? The risk of the operation is about as bad as waiting to see if it ever happens. Would it save you money to do it now as to opose to an emergancy operation? I guess I am asking is it going to be worth it in the long run? As for me I would not do it. The only thing I see it doing is giving You peace of mind from something that might never happen anyway. Are you really thinking about the dog? & thats like having your appendix out cause it Might flare up one day!

Old 08-06-2008, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
If he is a high energy very active dog with a deep chest I would consider it more than if he was laid back. Also, how deep is his chest? Do you know if any first degree relatives bloated?

It is a tough call. Neither of my dogs are tacked and I have had 5 GSDs over the years never had a problem but it can happen, as you know.

He gets his daily runs, he's crazy hyper. From the look and behavior of him, i'm guessing he's working line GSD. He was a rescue, so i don't know any history

Old 08-06-2008, 12:31 PM

295 posts, read 1,213,390 times
ShepsMom,
It sounds like your boy has chronic GI issues (IBD??), which can easily lead to excessive gas build-up, so I'd do it. As you know, GDV hits fast, is known as "the Mother of all emergencies", and can quickly be fatal since the window for saving a torsed dog is typically only 1 hour or so. While the tacking won't prevent bloating in the future, it will prevent torsing.

BTW Katie, yes it is worth it in the long run and IMHO ShepsMom IS thinking about what's best for her dog. Aside from the intense pain he would endure if he were to bloat & torse, emergency bloat surgery would cost several times the cost of tacking and the mortality rate after such an emergency is high.

Old 08-06-2008, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Is the vet willing to do the operation? The risk of the operation is about as bad as waiting to see if it ever happens. Would it save you money to do it now as to opose to an emergancy operation? I guess I am asking is it going to be worth it in the long run? As for me I would not do it. The only thing I see it doing is giving You peace of mind from something that might never happen anyway. Are you really thinking about the dog? & thats like having your appendix out cause it Might flare up one day!

Well, i told my vet that i'm thinkin about it, he is OK with the operation.
I'm not doing it for myself of course, i'm doing it for the dog, but his age concerns me more then anything. I know they can bloat at anytime.
I'm thinkin, i might just take him to the vet and do tummy x-ray, may be that can show something abou this stomach? Or would this be just a waist??

Old 08-06-2008, 01:46 PM

1,477 posts, read 7,908,921 times
ShepsMom, this is a tough call. If he was having other surgery, I'd say go for it, do it at the same time. However, this would be elective surgery on an otherwise healthy dog. Looking at him, if you and your vet feel his risk profile is high then do it. Anesthesia these days is very safe and GDV is very, very serious, as you know. We almost lost a 25 lb dog who didn't fit the classic profile to GDV a number of years ago.

If I were in your shoes, I don't know what I'd do. I guess I'd have to determine if I was putting him through the operation because of real risk factors or if I was doing it just to give myself peace of mind.

Old 08-06-2008, 02:49 PM

265 posts, read 1,292,274 times
Wow...great that your female GSD was diagnosed early enough to save her! I'm assuming you're hyper-viglillant about feeding/watering around exercise--don't you think that's preventative enough? My Standard, BTW, developed bloat one evening when I was away for a weekend with her--amazingly, I got her to a vet in time and they did emergency surgery. I lucked out with a wonderful facility on Cape Cod (which was ironic, since at the time I lived less than 3 miles from Angell Memorial!) and a great doctor. Several day's hospitalization and 5k later she came home, a healthy, lucky girl! I have another Standard (male) who's pretty hyper, always running and drinking water, but I'd never even consider tacking as a preventative measure. Have you done any kind of Google search, I'm wondering...I imagine there's quite a bit of controversy.

Old 08-06-2008, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PudelPie View Post
Wow...great that your female GSD was diagnosed early enough to save her! I'm assuming you're hyper-viglillant about feeding/watering around exercise--don't you think that's preventative enough? My Standard, BTW, developed bloat one evening when I was away for a weekend with her--amazingly, I got her to a vet in time and they did emergency surgery. I lucked out with a wonderful facility on Cape Cod (which was ironic, since at the time I lived less than 3 miles from Angell Memorial!) and a great doctor. Several day's hospitalization and 5k later she came home, a healthy, lucky girl! I have another Standard (male) who's pretty hyper, always running and drinking water, but I'd never even consider tacking as a preventative measure. Have you done any kind of Google search, I'm wondering...I imagine there's quite a bit of controversy.
Yes, i'm very well aware of food and exercise timing, i usually feed them an hour before or after we go out. They drink moderate, because they eat raw, so water intake isn't concern. I'll go visit my "other" GSD board and ask there.

Thanks everyone for your replies!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs