Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 07:01 AM

1,715 posts, read 6,986,753 times

Advertisements

Seems like I read a lot of this lately?

For those that do, what are your reasons for not leaving your dog unattended in your yard, for any length of time?

- Assuming your yard is fenced or you have some e-collar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2008, 07:13 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,380,609 times
I would never leave my dog unattended in our fenced yard. Anyone could walk into the yard and take or do harm. Part of responsible ownership is being aware.

Old 09-01-2008, 07:24 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,566,316 times
Accidents - liability-

With an e-collar yard dog may still run the fence, won't keep people out of your yard

I have neighbors don't want to risk bothering them

I would leave a dog unattended in a chain link covered run within a fenced yard.

Old 09-01-2008, 07:27 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,892,663 times
I used to leave them outside alone, in a fenced yard with a locked gate. But then I got a pit bull mix and he can jump VERY high. I have read that they can scale a 5-6 ft. fence. He doesn't like the dog next door, where the fence is only 48" in one place and I saw him almost jump it on the 1st try. So, I go out with him!

Old 09-01-2008, 07:34 AM

1,477 posts, read 7,916,406 times
Dogs left unsupervised in the owner's yard or vehicle or left to run loose are at risk of injury, death and theft.

Your question specifically addressed leaving dogs alone in a yard. Dogs in this situation can be teased and harrassed. They can bark excessively, becoming a nuisance. Their collar can become caught on something and they can be injured. Or, they can be stolen. A quick search of dog theft brought up this link:
American Kennel Club - American Kennel Club Cautions Owners: Pet Theft
on the Rise; AKC Appears on NBC's Today Show Offering Tips to Keep Pets Safe

The link below lists results from one website where stolen dogs are reported. Several of them reference dogs that witnesses reported being taken from owners' yards.

Dog Detective® - Lost Dogs & Found Dogs - the first and largest pet recovery network on the Internet

Dogs have been reported stolen from city pounds, including the shelter in Memphis, dog dealers have been witnessed stealing beagle and other mid-size dogs for sale to labs, and dogs that are or look purebred are stolen for resale. And all of these examples don't include the dogs that are stolen for illicit fighting.

Why risk it?

Old 09-01-2008, 08:06 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,947,586 times
Left alone for too long and my dachshund gets bored. Apparently a great cure for boredom is digging so he goes to town digging around/under the fence. It wouldn't take him long at all to find an escape route! I could never relax knowing that I could come home and find him missing!

Old 09-01-2008, 08:11 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,687,976 times
I have a fenced yard for my three little dogs. They go out and do their business and usually want to come back in within two minutes. There's not much time for them to get in trouble. If I want them to stay outside for an extended period of time, I grab something to read, and go out with them. Yes, they're spoiled and like to hang out with me.

Old 09-01-2008, 08:11 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,290,014 times
I'll let my crew hang outside for an hour or so, while I'm at home and inside doing housework. However I'm constantly looking outside and checking on them as I would two-legged kids. If I'm gone, they are in the house. Last thing I need is a neighbor being bothered by their barking or who knows what else.

Old 09-01-2008, 08:16 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,453,241 times
There's no escape from our yard, so I will let me dog occasionally hang out back there by herself. Every room in the house has a view of the yard. Never at night, though, b/c the minute she starts barking, I gotta put her in.

Old 09-01-2008, 08:22 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,664,361 times
We work from home. The dogs prefer being outdoors. They have fresh water, shade, ceiling fans, a comfy sofa and chairs. I have french doors in my office leading out to the back patio. We get to visit through out the day. For the most part Eddie sleeps on the sofa, Niles guards my door and Daphne hunts lizards. If anyone comes near the property they let us know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs