Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2016, 01:36 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,180,268 times

Advertisements

My family needs to rehome our miniature schnauzer due to my husband's ill health. My daughter put an ad on a "Rescue Pet Site". She listed details of the dog but did not indicate that there was a huge rush or anything (there is a special section on the site for emergency placements).

It is a four year old purebred dog (at least that is what the breeder told us, but it does not have "papers"), with all shots, etc. up to date and we are asking for a $50 donation/fee.

First, we were absolutely amazed at how many people responded so quickly. Three people contacted her the first day and then about a dozen more people have contacted her in the last 24 hours. So 15 people so far and more people are contacting her.
Question 1. Is this common for so many people to respond on pet rehoming sites? Or are we asking too little (we can't really change that now)? Or are miniature schnauzers really popular? Or what? Not that this is really a problem except that it really took us by surprise.

Because she was working, plus there were so many people, it has taken a while to get back to everyone.
She was shocked when several people emailed once or twice and then called and left a message two or three times in a 24 hour period. She was not trying to ignore them, but she was working yesterday and then went out last night and then was sleeping and was not able to get back to everyone immediately. One person emailed today (Saturday morning) at 5 AM and then emailed again at 8 AM asking why she had not responded yet and then called and left a voice mail at 9 AM.
Maybe, I just think like an "old lady" but who expects someone to be up at 5 AM on a Saturday morning and then gets annoyed when they do not respond immediately? (BTW, my daughter has now taken her phone number off the site).
Question 1. Is this common for people to be so aggressive about calling/emailing about a rehoming pet?

This is the first time that we have rehomed an animal so are these things common?

Any tips for us about how to select a good home? Especially tips that are important but that people often overlook.

Thanks.

Last edited by germaine2626; 02-27-2016 at 01:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2016, 01:43 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,323,724 times
Popular Breed. PLEASE Check Everyone make home visit Check Referances! Call their Vet! Some people take these dogs for Fighting, Breeding. Be Very Careful! Go down the list Check it Twice Make sure hes getting a Great Home!

Old 02-27-2016, 03:22 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,323,724 times
I also think you should contact miniature schnauzer Rescue.

Old 02-27-2016, 04:31 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,748,959 times
Another vote for a breed specific rescue.

Here are two in your general area. Many rescues will arrange for someone to pick up the dog and take it to the foster home so you do not have to drive.

http://www.mspmsr.org/
SCHNAUZER RESCUE

Please, please consider removing your ad from that site until you contact a breed rescue (and papers will have no bearing on whether they will take the dog) and talk to them about your dog. Many, many sad stories about people doing awful things to dogs they got off the internet in a rehoming situation.

Old 02-27-2016, 05:58 PM

Thank you for the advice. My daughter found a couple who appear to be have a perfect home. Over the years they have had three other miniature schnauzers, they both work at home and do not have any other dogs right now. All the information that they provided appears to be accurate and confirmed by her Facebook and Linked in accounts.

Both the husband and wife will be meeting our dog at our house next week. And my daughter said that it was fine with them for us to visit their house to make sure that it was suitable and to have a "trial period" at their home before he is officially rehomed with them. When they come to meet our dog my daughter will ask for the name of their vet and we can also ask for references.

In the mean time, my daughter is telling the other people who responded either that we have already found someone to rehome the dog (for the obvious "No"s -like the person who already has five dogs and four cats) or that we are considering a number of people.

If we do not find someone who we really feel will take good care of our dog we will then go to the schnauzer site. I believe that my children choose the other site because they wanted input over where the dog would go instead of just "giving it up".

Last edited by germaine2626; 02-27-2016 at 06:10 PM..

Old 02-27-2016, 07:27 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,072,138 times
Probably most of those people were answering so fast because they saw a way to get a dog cheap and then resell it for more than double the money. That's what CL people are known for. I would be very very cautious about putting a pet on there.

Old 02-27-2016, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
Probably most of those people were answering so fast because they saw a way to get a dog cheap and then resell it for more than double the money. That's what CL people are known for. I would be very very cautious about putting a pet on there.
That is what I thought, too (that some people may want to resell the dog) when I discovered that my kids listed a dog worth several hundred dollars for only a $50 donation/fee.

BTW, it was not on CL but on a legitimate pet rescue site.

Old 02-27-2016, 09:00 PM

2,080 posts, read 1,608,691 times
I would ask for a $100 donation fee; not $50. You could, if you wanted to, ask the potential adopters to give you a check made out to your favorite charity; or just have them make it out to you; since you have spent money assuring the dog's good health.

If you rehome the dog with private parties (as opposed to a rescue organization), write out a contract. Insist that you will come and visit the dog in its new home at least once after they take possession of the dog; write that into the contract too; and state in the contract that if the buyers cannot keep the dog for any reason, they will return the dog to you. Mention these stipulations before the potential new owners come for the dog; so there are no misunderstandings; I would think that true, honest dog lovers would be fine with the conditions.

Good luck. I had to rehome a dog once, it felt like ripping my heart out; but the dog went to a good home; and I visited her a few times in the following years; and kept in touch with the owner through the end of the dog's life many years later.

Old 02-28-2016, 05:21 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,381,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina14 View Post
I would ask for a $100 donation fee; not $50. You could, if you wanted to, ask the potential adopters to give you a check made out to your favorite charity; or just have them make it out to you; since you have spent money assuring the dog's good health.

If you rehome the dog with private parties (as opposed to a rescue organization), write out a contract. Insist that you will come and visit the dog in its new home at least once after they take possession of the dog; write that into the contract too; and state in the contract that if the buyers cannot keep the dog for any reason, they will return the dog to you. Mention these stipulations before the potential new owners come for the dog; so there are no misunderstandings; I would think that true, honest dog lovers would be fine with the conditions.
When I adopted an older lab a few years ago the woman was asking for a $50.00 fee and I suggested instead that I bring a check made out to the local rescue who had helped her figure out what questions to ask to weed out the bad guys. She thought that was a great idea and together we walked with the dog to the nearest mailbox and sent it off.

I sent her some pix to show her what a good time Money was having with 28 acres of pasture to roam as well as a farm pond and a creek for swimming. Other than the fact that Monty was an expert escape artist he was a great dog and was with me for nearly 4 years before he crossed the bridge.

Old 02-28-2016, 08:03 AM

1,246 posts, read 1,302,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
I also think you should contact miniature schnauzer Rescue.
I agree completely. Additionally- a breed rescue has already checked the adoptees out as far as vet reference etc. Far more likely to find a really good home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs