Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 12:13 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,822,450 times

Advertisements

Boil it and have a slice yourself...I used to eat beef tongue...and boiled pigs hocks - mmm...just love the skin...such a pleasant tecture...I say put the dog back on dry food and enjoy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2014, 04:49 AM

1 posts, read 2,359 times
I have always given my dogs, and I've had a few, raw cows' heart. They have loved it, whether as a treat or full meal, never have I seen any ill effects. Just wish that I could buy it in bulk for my dogs now. The local butcher cannot supply them. I, and other dog owners would like to find a supplier that could give this service.

Old 09-14-2014, 06:06 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,605,395 times
First, I hope people are aware that wild animals have all sorts of problems associated with bacteria, viruses, and other parasites. I would never feed my pets anything that I'd be afraid to eat myself.

I used to get this for both people and animals. Braising seems to be the best way to prepare this. I brown meats before braising to heighten the taste. Dogs are just like all other species. They like food that tastes good. Just be sure not to feed too much as this stuff is loaded with calories.

Old 09-14-2014, 07:04 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,862,283 times
1: Heart is considered muscle meat NOT organ when raw feeding
2: beef heart available to the human market (like most commercial meat) is HEAVILY treated...how mnay of you actually buy a steak take it home and freeze it solid before cooking EVERY time...I know I often buy steak the day I want to eat it (cause I only get to eat it when its on managers special lol)

the freezing issue is typically seen mostly with raw feeders feeding WILD GAME...deer, turkey, wild pig, ect...yes it helps kill any parisites...its a good idea to do (especially with pork) if you don't know where you meat came from, or are unsure if its been commercially processed...

3: you could feed it raw...IF your dog is used ot raw meat...

BUT...if your lanning on using it as training treats...do not "COOK"
instead slice into uniform thickness (thinner works best for speed) put it on a wire rack set your oven on its lowest (a toaster oven is great for this) or a dehydrator) with the door cracked pop it in and let it dehydrate
(you can find the exact directions for dehydrating meat online in varous places)
dehydrating doesn't "cook" it per say, at least not in the "cook the nutrients out" way...but it does dry it out and make it perfectly portable for treats, you can slice it for "jerkey" (you can make your own jerkey treats form anything the exact same way) or dice it into tiny pieces for training treats...

Old 09-14-2014, 07:13 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times
Boil it, like the giblets when you cook turkey. Then, cut it into very small bites....training treats. Put most of it in small portions in individual freezer bags and freeze them..Take a bag out to thaw in the fridge when you need to. It should keep for a few days in the fridge, use as needed.

Old 09-14-2014, 10:52 AM

3,339 posts, read 9,355,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sususushi View Post
dogs eat poo. They lick their own butts and other dogs' butts. They roll in dead rotten animals. Beef heart tartare isn't going to hurt him. :d

^^^ this !!!!

Old 09-14-2014, 10:54 AM

3,339 posts, read 9,355,142 times
Freeze it until it's not too frozen to slice through.
Cut it into bite sized pieces or strips -- so much wasier and less groww in this state.
It makes no sense to cook it if your dog is fine with raw meat.

Old 06-15-2015, 09:19 AM

1 posts, read 2,147 times
Default Meat Danger with Garlic & Parasites

Fist of all you should at least blanch your heart or liver before giving it to your dog. Do NOT give your dog any type of garlic or onion or garlic and onion powers. Garlic and onions are very toxic to dogs. I see a lot of dog food prep recipes that call for garlic powder and I shake my head in fear that these dogs are going to have a rough time when they eat it. So blanching the meat will kill parasites. I like to dehydrate mine after I blanch for easy storage and dogs love the chewy liver and heart jerky. Also, do NOT feed them too much of these types of meat. They are very compacted with vitamins and if you give them over 5% of what they normally eat as food, then they could have a vitamin B and A overdose. Symptoms of vitamin toxicity are; upset stomach (you can tell if they are lethargic and eating grass or licking pavement), deterioration of leg bones and joints, intestinal issues, pancreatitis, vomiting, and in the worst case scenario death. Don't be too nervous about feeding your dog heart or liver. Just don't over do it.

Old 06-15-2015, 07:00 PM

1,961 posts, read 2,253,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
1: Heart is considered muscle meat NOT organ when raw feeding
2: beef heart available to the human market (like most commercial meat) is HEAVILY treated...how mnay of you actually buy a steak take it home and freeze it solid before cooking EVERY time...I know I often buy steak the day I want to eat it (cause I only get to eat it when its on managers special lol)

the freezing issue is typically seen mostly with raw feeders feeding WILD GAME...deer, turkey, wild pig, ect...yes it helps kill any parisites...its a good idea to do (especially with pork) if you don't know where you meat came from, or are unsure if its been commercially processed...

3: you could feed it raw...IF your dog is used ot raw meat...

BUT...if your lanning on using it as training treats...do not "COOK"
instead slice into uniform thickness (thinner works best for speed) put it on a wire rack set your oven on its lowest (a toaster oven is great for this) or a dehydrator) with the door cracked pop it in and let it dehydrate
(you can find the exact directions for dehydrating meat online in varous places)
dehydrating doesn't "cook" it per say, at least not in the "cook the nutrients out" way...but it does dry it out and make it perfectly portable for treats, you can slice it for "jerkey" (you can make your own jerkey treats form anything the exact same way) or dice it into tiny pieces for training treats...
I vote for dehydrating too. Doesn't denature the proteins like cooking does and renders the stuff easy to handle.

Old 06-16-2015, 08:54 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,162,840 times
Maybe, you can try cooking the beef, not the beef heart, and make hamburgers for her every once in a while. Buy her organic beef if you are feeding her raw meat. I think one of the posters said to dehydrate the heart and I think that sounds like a good idea, at least that's more palpable and chewy, too - your dog will love a chewy texture, all dogs love their chew toys so the heart will be like a chew toy. Besides, the heart, given raw will kind of be messy and also not very appetizing to watch your dog eat a raw heart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs