Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 05:35 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,586,460 times

Advertisements

I took my newest foster Guinness, a tiny chihuahua mix, to integrate with his future forever family last night, and am now afraid their GS, Luna, who is still a puppy but is HUGE may be a potential danger to the little guy. She loved him and was very excited trying to kiss him and roll him around with her big ole snout...she is a sweetheart, but my fear is that he could get trampled between Luna and the other 2 medium-sized dogs that already live there...when someone knocks or they hear any sound, they all rush to get to the door first...what if he gets knocked around too much? Or his little head gets stepped on? Am I being ridiculously overprotective? What do you guys think? This is an ideal home for him in every other way...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2009, 05:58 PM

181 posts, read 635,617 times
Any dog is bound to be excited when introduced to a new dog. My sister had 2 chihuahuas and a rottie in a busy household with teenage kids - the chihuahuas never got hurt.

If the home is perfect in every other way go for it, I mean, they look after the dogs they have right? - better then a home with no dogs and an unknown 'keeper'

Old 01-03-2009, 06:34 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,451,384 times
I adopted a fragile blind little dog to a home with a big bouncy lab, and she survived just fine. The dogs settle down after a while.

I am certain your Guinness will be fine!

Old 01-04-2009, 12:16 AM

2,807 posts, read 7,586,460 times
My friend (who is taking the puppy) was having similar concerns, so we have agreed to let him grow a bit first...(He is super tiny, 1/3 of the size of my chi mixes and they are all pretty small...) in the meantime, he will be going there to play (supervised) on a regular basis so they can start bonding and he can get comfy in the new environment. We are both a lot more comfortable with this plan, plus he is no trouble at all, he is a sweetheart and has very few bad potties...he learned from my mini-pack very quickly, bless his little heart! If only all the others had been this easy...LOL!

Old 01-04-2009, 08:44 AM

1,222 posts, read 4,605,869 times
When we got our Pug I brought a babies playpen for her to play in when I wasn't watching her. That way I knew she was safe, as she was under 3lbs in weight.

Old 01-04-2009, 09:07 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,046,738 times
I had a dog accidently kill a parrot of mine a few years ago. He jumped up on the bed where I was with my parrot watching television and broke my bird's neck when one of his big paws accidentally landed on my parrot's neck.

If you have a tiny little dog, something similar to that could happen... accidentally....

Having said that, I have a Lab puppy and a Min Pin puppy that play together but I definitely keep an eye on them at all times!

Old 01-04-2009, 08:24 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,936,117 times
I went riding at a stable recently where there was a little chihuahua who hung out around the horses in the stables. She had enough sense to move out of the way when a big hoof was headed her way!

Dogs are smart. With some patience, a little human oversight and a lot of nature, she will most likely be just fine!

Old 01-05-2009, 09:34 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,782,175 times
This will more than likely be fine. Chis are in danger wherever they are. People can step on them just as easily as a GSD and birds of prey are a serious problem for unattended chis.

However, I have known a chihuahua that had to be put down after a 12 month old golden retriever stepped on his head in play. All the king's horses and all the king's men couldn't get those little eyeballs back in his skull.

Old 01-05-2009, 11:05 AM

5,501 posts, read 22,451,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
However, I have known a chihuahua that had to be put down after a 12 month old golden retriever stepped on his head in play. All the king's horses and all the king's men couldn't get those little eyeballs back in his skull.
Well then, send the little guy to me!

Old 01-05-2009, 12:14 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,782,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
Well then, send the little guy to me!
Unfortunately, his ashes are in a teeny-tiny urn on a mantle somewhere in Weatherford, Tx.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs