Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 12:35 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,046,738 times

Advertisements

Is it not agility???

Maybe I'm not calling it the right thing. I saw the poles that your guys jumped over outside. We didn't do anything that required jumping hurdles.

He was on leash.. We WALKED through a ladder laying on the floor. We walked over two things, one that was an A frame and one which had two ramps and a middle thing -- not sure what either one is called. We played around with the weave poles and a few tunnels (one of them was probably 15 feet long) and went through some hoops that were close to the floor.

This was a first time and we were going slow - not like the agility trials I've seen - and he was ON leash.

It seems safe to me. Am I wrong?

Last edited by World Citizen; 10-31-2008 at 12:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2008, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gosocialclub View Post
If he's only 8 months then he still has a little growing to do. Hunter topped out at about 90 pounds at 10 months, which we were SO glad because his grandpa was 140! Hunter was definitely the runt of the litter.

He slimmed back down to an athletic 75-78 pounds during agility training but like I said, we didn't start any jumping until after he was a year old. Up to that point I let him do the contact obstacles (on lead so he wouldn't launch himself off the end of the equipment) and the weave poles. He could walk through the jumps so we could practice course work but we left the bars on the ground so he didn't actually jump over them but was able to get familiar with them.

Here's a pic of my boy during an agility trial in Winston Salem, NC a few years ago. I hope we can get his knee fixed so we can get back to it soon!

http://photos2.meetupstatic.com/phot...r_3433364.jpeg
He's a good looking guy!

How did he hurt his knee? In competition?

Old 10-31-2008, 01:03 PM

117 posts, read 597,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
He's a good looking guy!

How did he hurt his knee? In competition?
Thanks! We had taken some time off and I tried to get him back into at a 100% instead of slowly working our way back into it. He was excited and so was I so I threw caution to the wind...oh well, we are hoping for a full recovery, hopefully WITHOUT surgery

Old 10-31-2008, 01:17 PM

117 posts, read 597,611 times
The picture of Hunter is him going over the broad jump. A lot of times people just go out there and let there dogs run through the obstacles before actually introducing the dog to the equipment and showing people how to safely maneuver the course. It sounds like your instructor was showing you the safe intro which is good.

With AKC, you usually have either a Standard course or a JWW (Jumpers With Weaves) course. An Standard course includes your "contact" obstacles - A-frame, teeter, dog walk, table - jumps, tunnels, and weave poles. JWW does not include any of the contact obstacles - just the jumps, tunnels, and the weave poles. NADAC has Gamblers and Snookers, which I have not done before but have been told by fellow agility-enthusiasts, are a lot of fun.

Just a little hint - make sure to teach your dog "off-side" weaves. We were able to score some really fast runs because Hunter is an ace at them!

(all this agility talk makes me want to go borrow someone's dog and run some courses! lol)

Old 10-31-2008, 01:25 PM

Thanks for explaining. We didn't get into all of the technical stuff.

Last night was just a teaser to get you hooked.

And, it's really easy to see how addicting it can be.

Old 10-31-2008, 02:35 PM

269 posts, read 1,267,501 times
We took our now 8-month old GSD to a class when he was about 5 months old. He was really good with the tunnels and the tables to sit on but the he just couldn't walk straight on any of the ramps! He didn't know his own size very well, and he looked real clumsy when doing it
The other puppies were all much smaller than him and had no issues on the ramp at all.

I think we will go back for another set of classes, only because it was a lot of fun for us!

Old 10-31-2008, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryptos View Post
We took our now 8-month old GSD to a class when he was about 5 months old. He was really good with the tunnels and the tables to sit on but the he just couldn't walk straight on any of the ramps! He didn't know his own size very well, and he looked real clumsy when doing it
The other puppies were all much smaller than him and had no issues on the ramp at all.

I think we will go back for another set of classes, only because it was a lot of fun for us!
There's a big difference in 5 months old and 8 months old. I saw some younger dogs come in for the next class and saw one adorable GSD baby who showed similar clumsiness... SOOOOOOOOOOOOO cute, though.

After last night, I think you definitely SHOULD go back again now that he's older. My dog and I had a blast!

Old 11-01-2008, 07:59 AM

1,738 posts, read 8,277,160 times
thats awesome! Any dog can do agility.
We did agility to create a bond in the beginning and use up energy.

have fun with it

Old 11-01-2008, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly3120 View Post
thats awesome! Any dog can do agility.
We did agility to create a bond in the beginning and use up energy.

have fun with it
We definitely NEED to use up ENERGY!

Old 11-01-2008, 09:04 AM

1,188 posts, read 5,534,831 times
Both of our dogs are large breed mixes. They are 4 y/o and already been certified as therapy dogs and earned their CGC. We are planning to start them in agility at the end of this month! We are soooo excited.

Our dogs are active and they are exercised daily (running or walking). Obviously, they will not be winning any national events with their speed compared to a smaller dog...but we look forward to the bonding time! I'm sure we'll have plenty of funny stories to share once we start.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs