Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 06:48 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,046,738 times

Advertisements

There are plenty of dogs that are service dogs and therapy dogs. His medical condition should not be an issue.

Your husband should always have some kind of treats in his pocket or nearby. When she stares at him and asks for a treat, he should ask what she wants and treat her!

Dogs read our energy. If your husband is feeling rejected and withdrawing from her -- the dog will sense it.
If she's asking for something and he's giving it to her... she'll also respond in kind. Just like Pavlov's dogs... the dog will begin to see your husband as someone who is the source of good things.

BTW -- I do hope your husband will also be attending obedience school with you. That is an important time of bonding for both dog and owner.

Last edited by World Citizen; 11-09-2008 at 07:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2008, 07:05 AM

6,259 posts, read 14,678,174 times
Ditto on the hubby being the food provider, your new pup is trying to find its position in your family. Since you are the food giver your husband is a threat to that food supply being taken away or divided up. No reflection on dh at all. Someone will be the leader so quick correction when the growling starts will be most effective. I have dachshunds and one in particular wants to challenge anything that walks in the house. He is the omega of the group so he has to try to assert himself anytime a visitor is here. I have a little can of bolts and nuts I shake if my "Cheee" voice command does not work. Try not to baby your new dog when it challenges your dh. Reassure it by staying calm but correcting it at the same time. The wolf pack keeps order this way, the leader never appears upset or in human terms, yelling or moving quickly. I can go along with the idea on the male abuse idea, more likely it is that the dog is not assured of its postion with your husband. If you can not correct then turn your back on the dog and have dh do the same as he can. Much like a toddler, no audience no show Good luck and hang in there!

Old 11-09-2008, 08:20 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,944,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seven of nine View Post
I can go along with the idea on the male abuse idea, more likely it is that the dog is not assured of its postion with your husband.
I heartily disagree. This dog is a puppymill product. I work with a lot of mill rescues and this is very common - it's usually men who run these operations and the victims have learned to fear men. It takes a great deal of time and patience, not giving security about a dog's 'position,' that helps the mill dogs come around. The OP has only had the dog for three weeks. Three weeks to overcome 11 months of non-stop abuse is a drop in the bucket.

Old 11-09-2008, 10:08 AM

Yes but we can encourage the OP and help her feel that the situation can be corrected with time. I have had this same rescue situation so I can only offer my suggestions and advice.

Old 11-09-2008, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
I heartily disagree. This dog is a puppymill product. I work with a lot of mill rescues and this is very common - it's usually men who run these operations and the victims have learned to fear men. It takes a great deal of time and patience, not giving security about a dog's 'position,' that helps the mill dogs come around. The OP has only had the dog for three weeks. Three weeks to overcome 11 months of non-stop abuse is a drop in the bucket.
Yes isn't is terrible that we cannot somehow outlaw these business?

Old 11-12-2008, 05:16 PM

409 posts, read 2,783,342 times
You have all been right about everything. Each day I see a bit of an improvement. She is the most adorable little thing with the greatest personality. The man problem is not just my husband we find, she is shy and runs from any man that comes in. She is now taking food from him (I don't give her a thing when he's home) but still wont go to him. Still runs away, but is taking more chances and coming closer. In two weeks I have her leash walking and doing almost all her business outside. She makes mistakes, but the good kind, goes on puppy pad. I think that's great. Sleeps 10 hrs, never gets up till sun rises and kisses me. She is the greatest and thanks to you all I stuck it out and now realize the time it takes but it will be worth it.

Old 11-12-2008, 05:21 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,202,996 times
Glad to hear she is getting better. I know with my rescue Bernie, it took him months to even get close to my grandsons or SIL. She is showing progress and that is a good thing. Just take things slowly and let her see he isn't going to hurt her.

Old 11-13-2008, 08:36 AM

543 posts, read 2,364,373 times
I agree with the other posters.

However, I'd like to know what YOU do when she acts this way towards your husband?

Old 11-13-2008, 04:26 PM

409 posts, read 2,783,342 times
She keeps going to him but then does this throaty growl and runs away. I do not allow it but I don't know if that's good. She stops the minute I make a noise. I don't yell or get mad, I just make a noise and stop her. She's coming closer and I try to stay out of the picture when he's home so she will go to him. I can see it will work, but will take time. She is a scardy cat, not hostile. I worked at a house today after two years of dealing with this little 5 lb dog that is totally hostile. He came after me today and bit the back of my leg. Now I don't feel so bad with this little girl. NJ State told me today that SPCA was at this breeder's place last year, I told them to find out why.

Old 11-13-2008, 06:40 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,176,155 times
I think that the growls are to let your husband know that despite her small size, he'd better not mess with her! She could be a talkative dog. I'd just ignore that for now. My old terrier growled a lot in a talkative fashion and in play. We'd just laugh at her. But anyway, let her develop her confidence first. Later on, shake an empty soda can of pennies immediately when she growls inappropriately. Just my 2 cents. I'm not there, and every dog as a different personality. All my dogs and cats end up being very talkative. I suppose it's my fault for being so chatty with them first. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs