Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 07:08 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,362,465 times

Advertisements

Ok so this is the 4th dog dumped on our dirt road in a month and 1/2.

This dog took me 3 days to catch and is the 3rd purebred dog to be dumped.

The first was a 6-7 month old Border Collie (no surprise there) the next was a toy poodle and one was a muttly and now we have....a Silky Terrier:

I've named her biscuit, she's hanging around the house, I've built an outdoor kennel under my carport/barn for her. She's already coming when called and stays right with me when we go to the fenced area.

I've been on the phone with the breed rescue and now it's just getting everything coordinated to get her gone. She's such a great dog it makes me sick that someone dumped her. This morning she now has enough groceries in her to feel herself and I actually got some zoomies going and I threw a tennis ball that she chased, pounced on and growled at (killed) and then zoomed off again...LOL.

Now I'm trying to coordinate getting her to the vet...sigh, the rescue will pay for everything but my work schedule is a problem.

I also have to have her "man" tested...LOL so after many phone calls I've found a man to come over and see how she does (I guess they're good for something ). The rescue group already has someone who wants her - its a retired guy who lost his wife last year and has an older Silky.

I'll tell yah if I had the money she wouldn't be going anywhere she is a GREAT dog.

My other neighbor and I are working on the kennel and will use it in the future for the other dumped dogs, so we'll have a place to put them. It's about 8x5' and under cover but gets plenty of air/shade etc. and will be used I'm sure again...don't know why I didn't think of this before...LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2012, 08:02 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,071,257 times
God bless you and your neighbor are you all going to keep this one or do you keep any of them ? I do rescue as well and God bless all of us who put our heart in this self appointed position . I used to rescue birds as well but due to me catching an illness from one of the birds , my husband no longer wants me to do bird rescue . But I still do dog and cat rescue . God bless all of us rescuers ..

Old 04-29-2012, 09:33 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,679,222 times
I just don't get people who do this. How can anyone believe a dog dropped on the side of the road is better of than taking it to the shelter where it will maybe be pts; but it will not be hit by a car or go hungry, be exposed to the elements or even attacked by coyotes/bobcats, etc. Some things are worse than being pts. Of course I don't condone giving a dog to the shelter, but still it is better than roadside abandonment!

Old 04-29-2012, 10:03 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,362,465 times
No I won't be keeping her...I would if I could.

We don't even have a place to take a dog in this county and the next county over will only take dogs that are from their county and they go out and check the car tags. Our county dog catcher now charges $500. to come catch a stray on your property and also will bill you for any vet services required for the dog.

Fortunatly my neighbors brother lives in the next county and we use him to drop off dogs to that shelter but he's out of town for the next several weeks and since she is an actual breed I'm working through breed rescue.

My kennel that I made won't hold her...she's just too small, all I've got are whats called hog pannels and the squares are too big, I spent this am puting up orange plastic road fence and she chewed through that so fast that by the time I got to the house and was washing my hands she scampered up on my back poarch so much for that 2 hours worth of work..ugh. But she sticks around, when I get up in the morning she sitting next to her food dish, she pretty much stays on my poarch and then when it gets too hot she heads for the carport/barn for shade.

She was "man tested" and passed with flying colors as seen below...I forgot to check setting so photos aren't good:

Old 04-29-2012, 10:27 AM

1,457 posts, read 4,053,490 times
She looks like a real cutie. I'll never understand why people do things, and personally don't think I'll ever figure it out. Thanks for saving Biscuit!

Old 04-29-2012, 10:48 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,852,904 times
id be putting up signs and little boxes along the road
"if your planning on dumping your dog please leave money in the boxes so we can feed them!"

Old 04-29-2012, 10:56 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,279,249 times
A friend had this problem with Cats Decades ago. She capture them get them fix & turn them loose Feed them Hundreds of pounds of cat food monthly! Even turned her DD Play house into a cat house!! Then one day momma and kittens were dumped that were sickly ..feline lukemia!! Went thru ALL the cats! She posted a Huge Sign at her drive way! No more cats dumpped! Maybe you need a sign Parvo Warning....

Last edited by Katie1; 04-29-2012 at 11:06 AM..

Old 04-29-2012, 01:18 PM

2,118 posts, read 6,372,905 times
You're a hero.

What else can I say?

Old 04-30-2012, 12:18 AM

18,703 posts, read 33,369,579 times
I wish I thought that people knew there was someone nearby who would help the dogs and therefore they dumped them there.
Unfortunately, I doubt they are that thoughtful. Bless OP for helping these souls and damn those who put OP in that position.

Old 04-30-2012, 01:22 AM

4,023 posts, read 5,525,022 times
I wonder if these owners ever think of putting free ads on something like Craigslist to find homes for their dogs.....
How sad that somebody would do this.....
And how sad that your county is so low on funds that things such as this go by the wayside.

Rescue people need to be commended!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs