Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 12:44 PM
miu miu started this thread

17,769 posts, read 40,176,155 times

Advertisements

This last week, I went on a 37 hour road trip to bring back three dogs from a NC shelter. Two dogs for other people, and one for myself to rehome. I couldn't resist and took home Bandit, a dog I had posted a link to in another thread. He's a 2 year old neutered lab-hound dog mix. He had been adopted from the shelter as a puppy. Then a year and a half later, his adoptive family moved and couldn't keep him. So they turned him back into the shelter, and there he patiently waited for two months for a new home.

I noticed when I was getting acquainted with him while walking him around the shelter grounds that he had a very calm friendly personality. As we walked by each kennel, each filled with frantically barking dogs, he kept his head lowered with a slowly wagging tail. Once we walked by a kennel with female Jack Russell terrier (found and with the owners coming to retrieve her), she was snarling and showing her teeth in a very fierce way, but Bandit just kept his nose out of reach of her teeth, didn't meet her eyes and kept wagging his tail. He just wasn't interested in getting into any dog dramas. Otherwise, I noted that he was overweight by at least 10 pounds.

He was a good car companion and got the shotgun seat. The young boxer mix I was transporting was crated. Eight months old and extremely energetic. Not the dog for me. The third dog was a smallish male Norwegian Elkhound-Chow mix with a very sweet personality. He was tethered in the back and on a dog bed. The trip home was smooth and the only real work was when I stopped to walk the dogs. One at a time and making sure all the dogs were secured before I opened the car doors.

Once I got home, Bandit was very happy to be inside a real house. He immediately jumped up on my sofa and rolled around on it in joy. He also marked my refrigerator, but I think that after two months in a kennel run, he just needs a quick refresher course in house manners. My boyfriend had taken my choc. lab mix to work with him, so I had a few hours to spend with Bandit. I fed him, but he's not that interested in food and snacks. That surprised me as he's overweight. However, maybe it's because he didn't get enough exercise in the kennel. And his former owners might have fed him table scraps. Dog biscuits don't excite him, but he readily accepted a small piece of pepperoni. He met my two cats without incident, he just wagged his tail at them. No desire to chase them around. And when he finally met my lab, he patiently put up with being sniffed and jumped on. I'm thinking that Bandit might make an excellent future therapy dog. Nothing phases him. Unbelievable that no one wanted this treasure!

Bringin Bandit home was a complete surprise for my boyfriend. But because Bandit is such a good dog, he understands why I had to save him. The shelter holding him is not a high kill skelter, but their space is very limited and his time was running out.

Anyway, things we need to work on him in addition to his diet and exercise regime, is some obedience training. He knows the "sit" command, but so far, that's it. He needs to learn "heel", "stay" and "come".

Anyway, here is his old Petfinder listing:

Adopted Labrador Retriever: Bandit: Petfinder

Bandit is the fifth adult dog that I've adopted. I highly recommend adopting an adult shelter dog over a puppy any day.

And I walked him by several groups of teens and young people last night. The girls all wanted to pet him. With his crazy black and white spotted cow colouring, he's a certified babe magnet!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2008, 12:55 PM

1,477 posts, read 7,911,038 times
Oh Miu, no wonder you fell in love with him! What a nice looking boy he is! And he's a lucky boy, too, to have been found by you.

Thank you for pointing out the benefits of adopting adult dogs. They are indeed the best!

I wish you and Bandit many years of happiness.

Old 11-22-2008, 01:10 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,425,493 times
Lovely boy, very nice of you to help out the others too. Thanks for the happy update and best wishes to you and your family.

Old 11-22-2008, 02:29 PM

4,265 posts, read 11,425,505 times
Hi Miu and congrats on your new boy! He's a beauty! I'm certain he is so happy to have a new forever home. I admire all of you who rescue and foster. I would love to do the same but with one dog, one cat, living in a townhome and working 50 hrs a week it really isn't feasible right now. I'm lucky that my neighbor loves my little dog and walks her every afternoon for me. Maybe, just maybe, one day I'll be able to do the same.

Old 11-22-2008, 02:36 PM

822 posts, read 3,003,253 times
What a cutie pie! I also adopted a shelter dog through petfinder. And I have a rescue golden and a foster golden. It's so worth it! Have a great time with him, he is adorable

Old 11-22-2008, 02:53 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
Sooo cute! and so lucky. Bless you.

Old 11-22-2008, 03:16 PM

295 posts, read 1,213,684 times
To Mom, from Bandit:

I RESCUED A HUMAN TODAY
~ Author Unknown

I rescued a human today.

Her eyes met mine as she walked down the corridor peering into the kennels. I felt her need instantly and knew I had to help her. I wagged my tail, not too exuberantly, so she wouldn't be afraid.

As she stopped at my kennel I blocked her view from a little accident I had in the back of my cage. I didn't want her to know that I hadn't been walked today. Sometimes the shelter keepers get too busy and I didn't want her to think poorly of them.

As she read my kennel card I hoped that she wouldn't feel sad about my past. I only have the future to look forward to and want to make a difference in someone's life.

She got down on her knees and made little kissy sounds at me. I shoved my shoulder and side of my head up against the bars to comfort her. Gentle fingertips caressed my neck; she was desperate for companionship.

A tear fell down her cheek and I raised my paw to assure her that all would be well. Soon my kennel door opened and her smile was so bright that I instantly jumped into her arms. I would promise to keep her safe. I would promise to always be by her side. I would promise to do everything I could to see that radiant smile and sparkle in her eyes. I was so fortunate that she came down my corridor. So many more are out there who haven't walked the corridors. So many more to be saved. At least I could save one.

I rescued a human today.

Old 11-22-2008, 03:50 PM
miu miu started this thread

17,769 posts, read 40,176,155 times
^^^ Nice!! Well he went with my boyfriend to work today. Everyone loved him except the owner's dog who kept attacking him. Gus is a nutcase and needs a muzzle. Bandit to his credit, cowered in the corner and then tried to escape. I'm so happy that he's not a fighter. One of the co-workers got Bandit to "give paw". I think that as time passes, more of his skills will come out.

Otherwise, while walking Bandit and Bailey this afternoon, I caught Bandit trying to eat dog poo. Sigh. But his pluses still greatly outweigh the negatives. So I will be walking the dogs separately in the future for a while. Just so I can give each one quality walking time and my full attention. I don't know how those professional dog walkers do it, walking so many dogs at once! On the plus side, I might even lose some weight myself in the meantime. lol

Old 11-22-2008, 03:57 PM

1,309 posts, read 4,192,044 times
Congratulations to you and Bandit! He's a lucky guy, and I'm happy he has a new home to share with you.

He sounds like a wonderful boy.

Old 11-22-2008, 03:57 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,011,851 times
What a lovely dog!!!! Congratulations to all of you!!!!!

Tea
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs