Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 04:32 PM

409 posts, read 2,783,869 times

Advertisements

My little one is scratching herself like crazy and biting at her legs. She has no fleas and is only a year old. Poor thing keeps doing this. Vet says it's allergies. Benedryl had no effect so he is giving her cordisone tabs which will make her pee more. duh. Just what I need. Anyone familiar with this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2008, 01:45 AM

19 posts, read 61,226 times
My dog had bad allergies really you have nothing to worry about they will find something to help your dog she will ge better dont worry.

Old 11-14-2008, 02:08 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,174,375 times
Might be your doggy has a skin irritation caused by allergies.
I have used a light coating of baby oil over the years to help keep them from scratching and biting.
It has worked and helped the healing process.
Check with your vet first.
Also since it is the season of cold weather and the furnace running, your house can get very low on inside humidity which can cause dry skin. A humidifier helps with that.
Most of the pets with skin problems I have had over the years have occured in the winter.
I try to keep my house at about 50 to 60% humidity.
It helps the pets and it also helps me from dry skin, sinus problems, etc.

Old 11-14-2008, 02:43 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,983,595 times
Do you think its an allergy, or is she biting herself causing this, some dogs will bite themselves, you need to distract her when she is doing this. here is an example, please don't take it that i am saying that this is what is wrong with your dog.

Roxy needs help - General Pet Health - All - Pets With Diabetes - Message Board - Yuku

Old 11-14-2008, 06:11 AM

1,007 posts, read 5,666,626 times
Mine is also having some skin irritation. Some say it is their diet and to feed them supplements that have Fatty acids in their diet. I have also washed her in shampoo with ingrediants that include Tea Tree Oil with Chamomile and Aloe Vera. It does seem better now, but I think it might take a little while to see.. it's been about a week or so right now. I also have a cortisone spray when I find the worst area she scratches.

Old 11-14-2008, 09:33 AM

3,751 posts, read 12,412,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimosa View Post
My little one is scratching herself like crazy and biting at her legs. She has no fleas and is only a year old. Poor thing keeps doing this. Vet says it's allergies. Benedryl had no effect so he is giving her cordisone tabs which will make her pee more. duh. Just what I need. Anyone familiar with this?
One of my dogs has bad, bad allergies. Here is what I suggest to get them under control.

Have your vet do an allergy panel to see exactly what is causing the allergy. Once that is established, you will be in a better position to know how to treat it. My boy is on anti-histamines tabs twice daily (150 mg per day)and cordisone tab treatment only when certain pollens that he is allergic to are at high levels. Its given him a huge amount of relief but you need to first identify what the allergy is. The cost is minimal for us for this treatment but even if it wasn't it would be worth it to give our sweetie relief!

Old 11-14-2008, 04:30 PM

He gave me a cortisone tab for 14 days. said she will drink more and pee more. So you are saying this wasnt necessary? A test would be in order instead???

Old 11-14-2008, 07:51 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,941,102 times
If it is an allergic reaction or just irritation due to dryness, the cortisone should help. A good moisturizing lotion rubbed in all through her coat down to the skin will help as well. The cortisone will do a great job to calm down the irritation and make her more comfortable. Once the itch/scratch cycle is broken, she should be fine.

Old 11-14-2008, 08:20 PM

3,751 posts, read 12,412,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimosa View Post
He gave me a cortisone tab for 14 days. said she will drink more and pee more. So you are saying this wasnt necessary? A test would be in order instead???
That really depends. You need to see if the itching and scratching flair back up after the course of cortisone is completed. If that is the case, then tests may be indicated to see what the cause is. Also she MAY drink more and pee more. My boy's increase in drinking and peeing is minimal on the cortisone tabs. It affects some dogs more than others.

Old 11-17-2008, 05:32 PM

In two days the itching and biting stopped. He now told me to cut her back on the pills to 1/2 only at nite for a few nites and then every other nite. Can't just stop giving them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs