Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 12:25 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,036,872 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

I adopted my furry guy in May 2007. At the time, he was 3.5 years old. He just turned the "big 5" at the end of this past October.

When we adopted him, I asked about dental care. She said that she'd never brushed his teeth; that her vet said that it was not required because Artie only eats crunchy food.

Having not really bought into that, I purchased a doggie toothbrush (it looks like a Q-tip) and some toothpaste. Well, Artie was having none of that! He did not want this stick in his mouth, even though he's happy to play with real sticks in the backyard.

Anyway, during our last annual checkup in September, the vet said that she'd call me with a quote for dental care because he had some noticeable plaque buildup. They called today -- he has Grade 2 buildup (Grades 3 and 4 are trouble, but Grade 2 can be nipped in the bud) and I'm looking at a $260 teeth cleaning bill. (Wow! That's more than my husband's and my teeth cleaning at a "regular" dentist... combined! But anyway...)

Of course I'm going to bring him in to have it done. We can't have his teeth rotting, after all!

But I'd like to be able to do some maintenance at home too. I'm thinking the Q-tip thingy isn't going to work this time either (I had tried it twice or three times before, to no avail), but I just read about a "finger brush." It almost looks like a longer version of a thimble, but it's rubber and has a brushing pad on which you put the paste.

Has anyone had any luck with these finger brushes?
And is there a particular flavor of paste that's most palatable to dogs? I'm thinking chicken.

Also, if anyone has any tips on how to go about this "procedure," I'd appreciate it. I think he won't mind my finger in his mouth as much as he minded the Q-tip-like thing, but I don't want to lose any digits.

Thanks!
Dawn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2008, 12:57 PM

1,179 posts, read 8,710,944 times
I'm so glad you caught it in before real damage was done. I've only ever had one dog that needed teeth cleaning. I've heard that the finger brush works for some people and that also a human spinning brush works very well. Since you are supposed to brush in an oval circulation pattern at a 45 degree angle it makes it easier. Feeding raw bones also helps to keep the teeth clean, nice and bright white. There are some dental chews and other toys that can help too although not as good. Crunchy kibble does little to keep teeth clean despite what some people think/food companies say. Crunchy foods get stuck in the dogs teeth just like it does in other animals.

Old 12-05-2008, 03:20 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,944,603 times
My rescue chihuahua had to have all but one of her teeth pulled because they were in such bad shape. Even worse, the bone between her nasal cavity and her mouth eroded away due to the infection in her teeth (which is, after all, what decay is!) and she now has a permanent opening between her mouth and nose, making her sneeze all the time.

If you don't like the finger toothbrush, do what we do for human babies: get some gauze, wrap it around your finger and use that (with or without doggy toothpaste) to clean your guy's teeth. You can feel what you're doing and it's pretty easy!

Old 12-05-2008, 04:26 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,736,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Hi everyone!

I adopted my furry guy in May 2007. At the time, he was 3.5 years old. He just turned the "big 5" at the end of this past October.

When we adopted him, I asked about dental care. She said that she'd never brushed his teeth; that her vet said that it was not required because Artie only eats crunchy food.

Having not really bought into that, I purchased a doggie toothbrush (it looks like a Q-tip) and some toothpaste. Well, Artie was having none of that! He did not want this stick in his mouth, even though he's happy to play with real sticks in the backyard.

Anyway, during our last annual checkup in September, the vet said that she'd call me with a quote for dental care because he had some noticeable plaque buildup. They called today -- he has Grade 2 buildup (Grades 3 and 4 are trouble, but Grade 2 can be nipped in the bud) and I'm looking at a $260 teeth cleaning bill. (Wow! That's more than my husband's and my teeth cleaning at a "regular" dentist... combined! But anyway...)

Of course I'm going to bring him in to have it done. We can't have his teeth rotting, after all!

But I'd like to be able to do some maintenance at home too. I'm thinking the Q-tip thingy isn't going to work this time either (I had tried it twice or three times before, to no avail), but I just read about a "finger brush." It almost looks like a longer version of a thimble, but it's rubber and has a brushing pad on which you put the paste.

Has anyone had any luck with these finger brushes?
And is there a particular flavor of paste that's most palatable to dogs? I'm thinking chicken.

Also, if anyone has any tips on how to go about this "procedure," I'd appreciate it. I think he won't mind my finger in his mouth as much as he minded the Q-tip-like thing, but I don't want to lose any digits.

Thanks!
Dawn
I brush my dog's teeth with a tooth brush, using Four paws toothpaste from Petco, 2 times a week.

I don't use the green finger brush.

I am going to get a dental instrument from the Flea Market and scrape the light plaque in the premolar (trace amount). My vet said his teeth looked great.

He lets me do anything. Trim his nails, brush teeth, cut his hair.

Old 12-06-2008, 06:19 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,698,118 times
We just did a dental cleaning, and have one more to go. The price mentioned earlier is right on. Yes, it does cost a lot but that's because anesthesia is involved, which requires bloodwork prior to it to make sure the dog can take the anesthesia.

There are tasty pastes that you can buy from the stores, or from the vet. He gave us a sample of chicken flavored toothpaste. I think you could get something reasonably priced from a good pet store or online from pet supply catalogs, etc. Just be sure the stuff isn't made in China. You could easily use the paste on your finger, or on a piece of gauze. The dog may not even mind the q-tip if it tastes good! Get him used to it gradually first by using your finger gently with the paste, then by alternating with the 1-tip and paste, then going to q-tip all the time. Treat inbetween to reward, and make it fun.

I'm going to purchase a dental scraper online, as a lot of people say they scrape at home themselves. One breeder said she just uses her fingernail to scrape off anything she sees. I tried that it it doesn't work well for me.

Old 12-07-2008, 04:43 AM

Thanks everyone.

Old 12-08-2008, 02:46 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,696,401 times
try doing the hard small carrots, I have a dog who is 8, and just now when she goes to the vet
she may get a cleaning in 2009. I do use the finger dog tip with paste to try to brush somewhat.
she also does have dry dog food, and the hoof bones. Teeth cleaning is real costly.As another poster did state breeders use a finger to scrape, I also was given this advice. and? in the water vinegar cider?
Mostly, I never did have the dog and teeth done til age 7 then every other year.

Old 12-09-2008, 12:55 PM

2,709 posts, read 6,316,140 times
They make dry kibble foods that are "dental" formulas. They're structured somehow to scrape the plaque off the teeth.

I take my Sibe in for a dental scaling every couple years. My vet has explained that part of Ban's "problem" is that he's alone during the day, so he doesn't drink much water. He eats his morning food but doesn't drink a lot because he knows he's going to be unable to go out and pee. So the food sits on his teeth and causes the build-up.

Old 12-09-2008, 01:41 PM

maggiekate -- I do already give him carrots but now that I know they're good for his teeth too, I'll give him more.

Niftybergin -- I'm with my furry guy 24/7, but he still drinks a lot. He's a lush. I guess he's just got old teeth for a young guy. I'll be taking him for his dentist appointment in the springtime. Oh, he's not going to like this!

Old 12-09-2008, 02:38 PM

400 posts, read 1,238,511 times
See if he'll let you open his mouth and check out his teeth for no reason. If he can get used to this then it makes it easier to brush his teeth cuz he's used to you mucking around in his mouth. Our mix was about 75 lbs. and I would get behind him when he was sitting, kind of wrap my knees around his sides and lean over the top. Tip his face up, talking to him, and open his mouth. He wasn't crazy about the brush, liked beef toothpaste, but would let "mom" do whatever, cuz it was mom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs